The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IShootLikeAGirl
hey y'all, im a newbie to this thread as i have recently decided to do medicine, i had always looked at it but never sure what to do and over the summer my mind was made up that i really want to pursue it. However i took humanities A levels so i would have to apply for medicine with a foundation year... My ASs are in Classical Civilisation, History, English lit and Latin and achieved A (86%), A (88%), B (5 marks off an A) and C (64%) and in latin i'm going for a remark as i got given a D in my language paper but i'm not really persuaded that i did THAT badly. OK, so does anyone know any more about these courses? do i still have to apply early? what is the UKCAT like? is it still as competitive as medicine? Also will they consider my A*s in science and maths GCSEs? literally any info ill help and will i need work experience?

You still have to apply in October.
We have lots of information on the forum and in the wiki about the UKCAT, as well as on the UKCAT website, go look!
It's still just as competitive
They will consider your science/maths GCSEs and they may even be a part of the entry requirements
Yes you'll need work experience.
Reply 421
Original post by aina rosdi
Hi!

I've just got my result last Thursday and I'm thinking of applying medicine for entry in September 2014 but I got a B in Chem! Nevertheless I got a steady and solid A's in Biology and Maths. I know that most of the uni in UK demand for 3A's which includes an A in Chem but is there any other uni that offer a B in Chem? If not what about studying medicine in Ireland instead? Any suggestions guys??

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Are these results at AS or A2? If they're at A2 it's pretty much impossible unless you are applying to certain foundation courses which have lower entry requirements. You would need to fulfill a certain criteria in order to apply as they're designed as widening access courses.
Reply 422
Will a B in AS physics harm my application?
Reply 423
Hi
I got my AS results thursday and everything completely fell apart, did way worse than expected, i ended up with BCDE. :frown:
I took Chemistry,Biology,Physics and maths respectively. I am 2 marks off an A in chemistry so can pull that up again, went from an A to a C in Biology and Physics went from a few marks off a B to a D.
I'm dropping Maths.
Planning to resit both the Biology and Physics last modules.
Originally I going to be predicted AAB by my teachers tho this may go down to AAC unless I can convince my physics teachers otherwise. I was planning to apply at Keele, Nottingham, and Lancaster so far for medicine. Its something I've wanted to do since a young age and now I'm completely lost as to what to do. There is no way I will change my career choice. I know I can pull up the grades again to what they should be, but will these or any university even consider my application with my results?
I also plan to do Extended Project to put forward as my fourth AS, as i put off doing it last year to do this year.
Even if I ended up being predicted AAB will a university consider my application with these predictions?
Reply 424
Hi everyone,
I just got my AS results and got 5 As, all over 90% ums, but am slightly worried that my C in general studies will let me down (even if everyone says it doesn't matter they will still be able to see it)
Any advice?
Thanks.
Ah good! I've just been told so many different things by different people, but it's good to talk to an Edinburgh student. What year are you? Yeah I've Ben worrying if I have enough medical work experience, it's just so are to get hold of, especially in my area. What specific areas of the non-academic qualities do they look at? I feel I have quite a good non academic qualification, I do a lot of extra curricular activities which all have given me the ability to be a good leader, communicator and empathise etc. and evidence of these skills. Also I have very good communication and interpersonal skills, my tutor has suggested I really emphasise this in my PS.

to be honest, I never really had much interest in Birmingham or Cambridge. I think if UKCAT goes well I'm thinking: bristol, Edinburgh, peninsula, Leicester. If not then: bristol, Liverpool, cardiff, Edinburgh.

many thanks!

Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Hey bud!

Honestly, you're good to apply pretty much wherever you want. What you've outlined there would get a you a near perfect academic score at Edinburgh - what you have to keep in mind is that we place a lot of emphasis on the non-academic side of your application (for the past fews years, it's actually been more important than your academics), and the UKCAT (the weighting is being upped to 16% of your allocated score for this cycle), even if you get a below average UKCAT, though, you could still apply to Edinburgh and be in with a shot if the rest of your application is good! My academics sucked in comparison to other applicants, but my PS brought my score up enough to get an offer! :smile:

I'd say avoid Cambridge (they like to see really, really high AS level UMS) and Birmingham (you don't meet their GCSE requirements), other than that, apply wherever you like. Do your research: the wiki is a great place to start and will help give you an idea of where to apply depending on your strengths and weaknesses (if you get a poor UKCAT, for example). Otherwise, just apply to wherever you'd enjoy studying - another thing you've got to do lots of research to find out!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by oxymoronical
Hi everyone. My sitch is as follows : 10A*s at GCSE, AS %s are Chem A (99%), Bio A (99.4%), Maths A (100%), English A (99.5%), and Physics A (92.4%). I was thinking of applying to Oxbridge, but I'm not sure whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, or which I'd be a stronger applicant to. Advice much appreciated :smile: Apparently Cambridge like above 95% at physics - should I remark papers? Also, apparently 10A*s is few compared to other Oxford candidates :frown:

The fact that Physics isn't above 95% isn't going to harm your application to Cambridge. The average UMS of successful applicants is ~95%, yours is well above that. :smile:

Apply to whichever one you like best. The Oxbridge courses are different in many ways - choose based on that. Your grades are totally fine for either.
Oxford care more about "percentage A*s" than quantity of A*s - you're sitting at 100%, so that's awesome.

Original post by Loiks94
Will a B in AS physics harm my application?

Not significantly. :smile:

Original post by 1234b2012
Hi everyone,
I just got my AS results and got 5 As, all over 90% ums, but am slightly worried that my C in general studies will let me down (even if everyone says it doesn't matter they will still be able to see it)
Any advice?
Thanks.

Most unis don't even look at General Studies, and those that do certainly won't care. You've got AAAAAC at AS level with the C in a crappy subject. They're honestly not going to care. At all. I promise.
Reply 427
Original post by Ismira
Hi
I got my AS results thursday and everything completely fell apart, did way worse than expected, i ended up with BCDE. :frown:
I took Chemistry,Biology,Physics and maths respectively. I am 2 marks off an A in chemistry so can pull that up again, went from an A to a C in Biology and Physics went from a few marks off a B to a D.
I'm dropping Maths.
Planning to resit both the Biology and Physics last modules.
Originally I going to be predicted AAB by my teachers tho this may go down to AAC unless I can convince my physics teachers otherwise. I was planning to apply at Keele, Nottingham, and Lancaster so far for medicine. Its something I've wanted to do since a young age and now I'm completely lost as to what to do. There is no way I will change my career choice. I know I can pull up the grades again to what they should be, but will these or any university even consider my application with my results?
I also plan to do Extended Project to put forward as my fourth AS, as i put off doing it last year to do this year.
Even if I ended up being predicted AAB will a university consider my application with these predictions?

Hi there

Sorry about your AS results.

At this point the main thing is that 1) you are able to achieve AAA and 2) you are able to be predicted at least AAA. If you are predicted AAA, then there is every chance if you apply well that you'll get a place. You may, as you know, need to resit some modules to bring up your total UMS. If you are unable to be predicted AAA, then it's not all lost - the best thing is to take a gap year and then apply with your achieved grades of AAA. At that point, your AS grades (and predictions, obviously) mean nothing.

No medical school accepts the grades of AAB, but according to this page Hull York accepts applications from those predicted AAB but they would then need to go on to achieve at least AAA. I would contact the medical school to confirm though.

Good luck.
Hey guys! So I was wondering if I could post my stats so you guys could possibly recommend medical schools I could have the best shot at?

Gcse: 7A*'s, 4A's
AS: AABB in bio history Chem and maths. Dropping maths and should get predicted AAA with possibly an A* in bio
UKCAT: pending I'm taking it in September
Thanks anyone who replies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Confused1234567
GCSE's: 1a* 7a's 2b's and a distinction

AS results: BBBC (in biology, chemistry, English lit and maths respectively)

I was wondering what my chances were at still doing medicine? If I still can, what uni's would be suitable? I was wondering whether Nottingham would still be a possibility?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Nottingham only allow one modular resit per subject unless they've changed that. So if you're resitting more than one AS module per subject to get your grade up, they won't consider you so take that into account.
Reply 430
Hey guys. I got my results this week and they were AAAB. The B was in maths and I missed an A by two ums, as I got a c in d1 (63 ums.) I was wondering whether someone could tell me whether getting that paper remarked would be an appropriate thing to do and essentially the likelihood that the grade might change by a regrading?

Thanks for any replies :smile:
If u want to do meducine-do universities not accept/ like it if u retake yur a levels ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HayyanN
Hey guys. I got my results this week and they were AAAB. The B was in maths and I missed an A by two ums, as I got a c in d1 (63 ums.) I was wondering whether someone could tell me whether getting that paper remarked would be an appropriate thing to do and essentially the likelihood that the grade might change by a regrading?

Thanks for any replies :smile:

Remarks are a bit of a lottery tbh. It could go up, or down, by generally no more than 5UMS. Chat to your teachers about whether its worth it or whether a resit of that module might be more appropriate (there's more scope to improve your UMS considerably by redoing it, but you need to think about how many other exams you'll have in JUne) or if you could simply get an extra few UMS by really working super hard for your A2 modules.
Original post by Rainbow Boombox
If u want to do meducine-do universities not accept/ like it if u retake yur a levels ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check out the resit policies page on the medicine wiki. If you've got extenuating circumstances then a lot are fine with resits, if you don't then there's still a few that'll consider you.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Check out the resit policies page on the medicine wiki. If you've got extenuating circumstances then a lot are fine with resits, if you don't then there's still a few that'll consider you.

Thanx :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Also the "extenuating circumstances" usually have to be declared at the time of sitting the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 436
I am gutted that I have messed up my AS results with ABB Is there any hope of applying to medicine in any university at all,please help.
You could try foundation medicine course. They're 6 years but it'll be worth it if you really want to be a doc. They want grades around BBB for them

Alternatively you could work your ass off in A2 year and pull the ABB upto AAA.
^I got ABBB at AS and managed to pull it upto AAA at A2. No reason why you can't with some extra work :smile:
Reply 438
Original post by bhasha05
I am gutted that I have messed up my AS results with ABB Is there any hope of applying to medicine in any university at all,please help.

If you read the threads in this forum about AS results, you'd see your answer. As long as you can get predicted (and achieve) AAA in your A2 year, then you are in with a chance. Also, do you only have three subjects? Many want a 4th to AS level, so you'd have to pick carefully.
Reply 439
Thank you for the advice :smile:
I doubt i will get predicted AAA, so it looks like a gap year may have to be an option.
Are there any universities that aren't completely based on AS grades or predicted grades?

Latest

Trending

Trending