The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I'm actually really lucky I just about got that score. Are you definitely applying here then?

Nah not luck as you did well in the exam, you deserve the score and not definitely but basically yes, 95% sure.
Original post by t()m
Nah not luck as you did well in the exam, you deserve the score and not definitely but basically yes, 95% sure.

Thank you :smile: just regret not giving VR or SJT my all now, but that's my fault entirely. Ah right, pretty much the same, the only medical school I'm sure I'm applying to is Sheffield
Reply 42
Thank you :smile: just regret not giving VR or SJT my all now, but that's my fault entirely. Ah right, pretty much the same, the only medical school I'm sure I'm applying to is Sheffield

Same here :smile:
Original post by AhmedDavid
Same here :smile:

Is this about Sheffield or Leicester?
Reply 44
Is this about Sheffield or Leicester?

Sheffield :cool:

Im considering Leicester but Im waiting for As results first.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sheffield :cool:

Im considering Leicester but Im waiting for As results first.

Ah thats fair enough :smile: good luck with Sheffield

Ah right, so how are your stats so far?
Reply 46
Ah thats fair enough :smile: good luck with Sheffield

Ah right, so how are your stats so far?

Thanks same to you.

Not done my UKCAT yet booked it for october lmfao
I'm just shying away from it so booked it as far away as possible.

I think Im going to get

AABB in June but I am hoping for AAAB

What about you?
Thanks same to you.

Not done my UKCAT yet booked it for october lmfao
I'm just shying away from it so booked it as far away as possible.

I think Im going to get

AABB in June but I am hoping for AAAB

What about you?

Don't worry too much about the UKCAT, its not too bad honestly. Good luck for August, hopefully you do get that AAAB

GCSEs are 4 A*, 3 A, 1 B
Predicted AS by teachers was AAAA doubtful though.
UKCAT is 675 average with band 2 in SJT
Reply 48
Don't worry too much about the UKCAT, its not too bad honestly. Good luck for August, hopefully you do get that AAAB

GCSEs are 4 A*, 3 A, 1 B
Predicted AS by teachers was AAAA doubtful though.
UKCAT is 675 average with band 2 in SJT

Wow those stats are looking amazing

I really do hope I get AAAB

After getting 4A* & 6As at GCSE

I was only given BBBB as a target grade for As (TGM - Target minimum grade)
Wow those stats are looking amazing

I really do hope I get AAAB

After getting 4A* & 6As at GCSE

I was only given BBBB as a target grade for As (TGM - Target minimum grade)

They'd score me 57/60 which was the cutoff last year, so hoping they don't rise

Fingers crossed, just 2 weeks until we find out

Target grades are literally the worst things, I never really listen to them, so if you feel you've done better than that, there's then no point in going by them
Reply 50
As I'm coming at the end of my undergrad life, I'll be very happy to answer any Leicester medicine related questions!

Good luck to all those applying :smile:
Original post by Magician
x

hello, looking to apply to Leicester this year :smile:

How is the community aspect of the medical school? ie. are they a close group?
Is there much to do in the city?

also, how is the teaching and lecturers? Is the any academic support from staff?
and how's the anatomy teaching in particular? Full body dissections?
Original post by k1rby
IS EVERYONE AS EXCITED AS I AM? :bigsmile:

About me: I applied in the 2013 UCAS cycle and now have an unconditional deferred offer for A100 medicine at Leicester university starting in september 2014.. possibly with you! If anyone has any questions relating to UCAS and deferring entry, ask away.

GOOD LUCK :rave:

How do they score our applications?
A100: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/documents/2014A100Scoring.pdf
A101: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/documents/2014A101Scoring.pdf

How does Leicester view deffered entry? Would I be at a disadvantage if I apply for deffered? Did you initially apply for deffered or defer later ? thankyou
Reply 53
Original post by star10159
How does Leicester view deffered entry? Would I be at a disadvantage if I apply for deffered? Did you initially apply for deffered or defer later ? thankyou

Nope, definitely not a disadvantage or advantage, it does not affect the way you are assessed at all. I didn't apply deferred entry. In January, I sent them an email asking if I could defer and told them what I would do (plans for my gap year have changed since then but it shows them that you're not going to bum around doing nothing the whole year) and they had no issue with it.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/faqs#FAQ11
Reply 54
hello, looking to apply to Leicester this year :smile:

How is the community aspect of the medical school? ie. are they a close group?
Is there much to do in the city?

also, how is the teaching and lecturers? Is the any academic support from staff?
and how's the anatomy teaching in particular? Full body dissections?

1) I would say that the medics as a whole, are a close knit community but obviously, there ar subgroups within the year group :-).
the course is divided into phase 1 and phase 2 which last 2.5 years each.
You get to see pretty much everyone in phase 1 but less so in phase 2 as people are placed in various hospitals (some far away).

Leicester as a city has a lot to offer. From plenty of places to eat, cinemas, big shopping mall to clubs that host many student nights.

2) teaching in phase 1 comprises of lectures and group work. The group work is designed to consolidate what you learn in the lectures and is more clinical relevant. (its different to pbl as this is more structured with clearer learning objectives)

Anatomy is primarily taught via dissection. For the musculoskeletal module, you are given a cadaver to work through with your group (around 8 people) and with other systems, you may have the opportunity to dissect or view a prosection -which are great ways of learning!
x

A quick follow on question if you don't mind, How is the teaching overall at Leicester? and were you satisfied with the extra pastoral support offered by the Medical school/Uni staff?

I've recently been reading a lot about students not being satisfied with teaching (also I know a recent Leicester medic drop out) so I was slightly concerned that's all. :smile:
Reply 56
A quick follow on question if you don't mind, How is the teaching overall at Leicester? and were you satisfied with the extra pastoral support offered by the Medical school/Uni staff?

I've recently been reading a lot about students not being satisfied with teaching (also I know a recent Leicester medic drop out) so I was slightly concerned that's all. :smile:

The teaching in my opinion was really good. The amount needed to pass is covered in the lectures and your workbook and I personally preferred this. I have friends at other universities that really didn't like pbl :smile:. As with all universities, there will be lecturers that may not suit your learning style but you have plenty of self study time to go over things again! (phase 1 is timetabled such that you spend half your day in the university and it's expected to spend the rest of the time self studying (lol)). If I could get as far as final year by using the recommended resources, I am sure anyone can do the same.

Ive worked in pastoral service at Leicester so I will give a biased view in that it is amazing :tongue:.
There is plenty of support available-from your medic parents (students in the year above), personal tutors, module leads, medics welfare society, to more university based services which include the actual welfare office and residential advisors. Obviously, if any issue can't be solved, they will refer you to people who can be of help!
Reply 57
As I'm coming at the end of my undergrad life, I'll be very happy to answer any Leicester medicine related questions!

Good luck to all those applying :smile:

Hi, I am on a gap year and was rejected from Leicester last april after interview. Do you know roughly what would i need to score at interview to be accepted this year?
so last year i got 62 percent after interview and you needed 68 percent to have been given an offer. On the webstite it says 'significant improvement' is needed for reapplicants and im not really sure where this puts me any help would be very much appreciated.

also, I heard many medics form leicester go on to GP posts (just anecdotally i guess) but is this what the 'consultation skill' sessions in phase 1 are about? or are they just for developing communication skills etc?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer some questions :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by richtea5
Hi, I am on a gap year and was rejected from Leicester last april after interview. Do you know roughly what would i need to score at interview to be accepted this year?
so last year i got 62 percent after interview and you needed 68 percent to have been given an offer. On the webstite it says 'significant improvement' is needed for reapplicants and im not really sure where this puts me any help would be very much appreciated.

also, I heard many medics form leicester go on to GP posts (just anecdotally i guess) but is this what the 'consultation skill' sessions in phase 1 are about? or are they just for developing communication skills etc?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer some questions :smile:

Im afraid I don't know about the score required this year :/...! But I would imagine it to be similar to the 2013 entry.

Wth regards to the website, what I think (not necessarily the view of the medical school) they mean by that is that you really need to spend time thinking about which areas you need to improve on and what aspect of the interview let you down (as I know plenty of reapplicants that changed nothing of their new application only to have another unsuccessful application).

The general trend is that nearly 50% of medics will end up becoming GPs (because of services being more community based) - according to one of the comsultants that ive worked with...but it isn't just limited to Leicester medical school.

Consultation skills in phase 1 teach general history taking and examinations. The first few sessions are held with actors and each aspect of the consultation is broken down and analysed but the real practice that we get in phase 1 is in both hospitals and GP settings. It's essentially the same structure (presenting complaint, history of presenting complaint, past medical history, drug history, family and social history) whether taking a history as a GP or secondary care doctor.
Reply 59
x

I think the course structure sounds pretty ideal and I think easing into clinical work with actors etc before hand is the best way forwards.
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending