The Student Room Group

Weird marking

Hiya,
My entire religious studies got an U or an E in their unit three exam.
I got 91% in year 12 in this subject but got an U in this exam which meant I came out with a B overall.
I really don't understand how our entire class failed this exam.
I have been getting As in essays etc over the course of the year and our teacher is a stict marker.
Any advice? I am seriously considering getting a remark

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by popcorn87
Hiya,
I got 91% in year 12 in this subject but got an U in this exam which meant I came out with a B overall.
I have been getting As in essays etc over the course of the year and our teacher is a stict marker.

Thank you

Not for A2, but some of my friends got fluctuated grades of an A and a U in their 2nd unit exam dragging their grade completely down.
Get a priority remark unless your on a gap year .
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Not for A2, but some of my friends got fluctuated grades of an A and a U in their 2nd unit exam dragging their grade completely down.
Get a priority remark unless your on a gap year .

Really? I just don't understand what the hell happened this year. I got an A in my English exam and I have never got an A in English before. In religion studies, I just scrapped a C but was getting As in that unit too.
Reply 3
Really? I just don't understand what the hell happened this year. I got an A in my English exam and I have never got an A in English before. In religion studies, I just scrapped a C but was getting As in that unit too.

My friend was on Edexcel. But still a U?! Really cant be that bad haha. He has pressures to rethink his A2 choices now which must really suck for him >.

But these essay subjects are always fluctuating with perceptions on how the students address it. Theres always going to be the strict examiners and the relaxed ones which just probably give generous marks after a quick skim.
Reply 4
RS is a bit iffy. Ask your teacher exam board to remark your papers.
Reply 5
I can understand if one of us failed but we all got Us
I got 37 ums and my friend got 17 ums :/
I have emailed my teacher but do you know how late you can ask for a remark?
If my work is an U standard then ill eat my left foot. I was expecting at least a low B
Reply 6
I can understand if one of us failed but we all got Us
I got 37 ums and my friend got 17 ums :/
I have emailed my teacher but do you know how late you can ask for a remark?
If my work is an U standard then ill eat my left foot. I was expecting at least a low B

Something like the 20th. Normal retakes take like a few weeks i think
Reply 7
I did religious studies at AS this year, was getting A's the entire time in mocks and came away with a D this time in the actual exam. Got a B In one paper and a U in the other. No clue how as I was top of my class, but it's very annoying and kind of embarrassing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Jkizer
Something like the 20th. Normal retakes take like a few weeks i think

Thank you. If the whole class has failed but it isn't the teachers fault (he is an amazing teacher) what is the likelihood of the school paying for a remark?
Reply 9
Original post by MelHunt182
I did religious studies at AS this year, was getting A's the entire time in mocks and came away with a D this time in the actual exam. Got a B In one paper and a U in the other. No clue how as I was top of my class, but it's very annoying and kind of embarrassing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know how you feel. I rang everyone in my class and we all got Us and Es. Two said in my class that they can't believe I got a U when I am top student.
Reply 10
Thank you. If the whole class has failed but it isn't the teachers fault (he is an amazing teacher) what is the likelihood of the school paying for a remark?

From experiences (AS economics + English lit Gcse), the teacher sends like a sample (20% students or something) of the 'questionable' grades and if enough of the papers get bumped up by a noticeable amount, then the entire year will get a remark of that subject by presumably some chief examiners. In my AS economics, one guy got his Unit 1 paper bumped up by 11 UMS (!??!?!). Usually if the sample is deemed to have been given unfair marking, then the teacher gets sent a letter explaining the year gets a free remark.

Its a fairly lengthy process however. Takes a month or something like that to get the sample done, plus probably the same for the rest.

However it is providing enough people did bad enough in the year.
Reply 11
Original post by Jkizer
From experiences (AS economics + English lit Gcse), the teacher sends like a sample (20% students or something) of the 'questionable' grades and if enough of the papers get bumped up by a noticeable amount, then the entire year will get a remark of that subject by presumably some chief examiners. In my AS economics, one guy got his Unit 1 paper bumped up by 11 UMS (!??!?!). Usually if the sample is deemed to have been given unfair marking, then the teacher gets sent a letter explaining the year gets a free remark.

Its a fairly lengthy process however. Takes a month or something like that to get the sample done, plus probably the same for the rest.

However it is providing enough people did bad enough in the year.

There's 8 in the entire year 13 for religious studies. Is that enough?
Reply 12
There's 8 in the entire year 13 for religious studies. Is that enough?

With that small group, if it was really that bad the school may pay for all your papers to get remarked. Though wouldnt be suprising if somebody has handed a request for a priority remark themselves
Reply 13
Original post by Jkizer
With that small group, if it was really that bad the school may pay for all your papers to get remarked. Though wouldnt be suprising if somebody has handed a request for a priority remark themselves

I spoke to everyone in the class and they are all going to email the teacher expressing their concerns. I don't think anyone has requested a remark
Hiya,

Thank you

I would get a priority remark if I was you, this does not sound right at all! Sometimes all it takes is a marker who is tired and not 100% concentrating and they can get the marking very wrong. Anyway, they can't mark you lower than a U so you have nothing to lose. Good luck. x
Reply 15
Original post by Alix_js
I would get a priority remark if I was you, this does not sound right at all! Sometimes all it takes is a marker who is tired and not 100% concentrating and they can get the marking very wrong. Anyway, they can't mark you lower than a U so you have nothing to lose. Good luck. x

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest