The Student Room Group

Help me. Shocking AS RESULTS

I got
biology - D
pyschology - D
chemistry - U
maths - U

I worked so hard and these were the biggest shock to me. I'm starting to think they graded my biology and pyschology wrong. I'm just so confused. I need help. I was going to continue with biology and pyschology and don't know whether if I can do maths or chemistry but I would so maths..
I don't know if my school will even let me back in and they dont allow resists but I cannot move because I worked so hard to get into this sixth form. And if I am allowed to continue HOW will I get accepted into uni even if I bump them up. I want to redo the year but at the school but it needs to be under special circumstances....

Scroll to see replies

Go to an open college, another option you can consider is to take online courses icslearn is pretty good.
What I would do is carry on with the two subjects you got D's in and resit a module on each you can then easily bring the grade up. But at the same time do an entire maths a level in one year outside of college - it can be done I had a friend who did this and had a tutor and then sat the exams at private centres. I wouldn't recommend resisting a year. Though your predicted grades may be lower if you express your determination in your personal statement I think you may still get accepted into a decent uni xxx good luck :smile: everything always turns out better than you think
I would find another nearby college/school/sixth-form and repeat the year there - it really isn't that bad (I repeated my A2 year at a different place and it was the best thing I ever did).

If you found any of the subjects a real struggle you could pick something else.
Reply 4
Original post by Miso77
I got
biology - D
pyschology - D
chemistry - U
maths - U

I worked so hard and these were the biggest shock to me. I'm starting to think they graded my biology and pyschology wrong. I'm just so confused. I need help. I was going to continue with biology and pyschology and don't know whether if I can do maths or chemistry but I would so maths..
I don't know if my school will even let me back in and they dont allow resists but I cannot move because I worked so hard to get into this sixth form. And if I am allowed to continue HOW will I get accepted into uni even if I bump them up. I want to redo the year but at the school but it needs to be under special circumstances....

I can understand your feelings perfectly. My college accepted me back for A2, but they ain't give me a hance to study further more physics or chemistry because of the E grade. Never been so scarred:frown:
Reply 5
Original post by NaomiMG
What I would do is carry on with the two subjects you got D's in and resit a module on each you can then easily bring the grade up. But at the same time do an entire maths a level in one year outside of college - it can be done I had a friend who did this and had a tutor and then sat the exams at private centres. I wouldn't recommend resisting a year. Though your predicted grades may be lower if you express your determination in your personal statement I think you may still get accepted into a decent uni xxx good luck :smile: everything always turns out better than you think

i want to continue at my school but maybe they won't let me do two alevels? I'm so annoyed at my results. I just wish you could get remarks and that result before we enrol. What would I have to say in my personal statement t convince them? Because I wanted to go to at least newcastle or Northumbria which is ABB at minimum... Do they just give out conditional offers or decline people with my grades?
Reply 6
Original post by DinuJ
I can understand your feelings perfectly. My college accepted me back for A2, but they ain't give me a hance to study further more physics or chemistry because of the E grade. Never been so scarred:frown:

What did you get? So are you doing two now.. When and how are you going to university with two alevels?
Original post by Miso77
I got
biology - D
pyschology - D
chemistry - U
maths - U

I doubt you could carry on chemistry or maths without re-sits as those are fail grades

definitely stick with biology and psychology you can pull those up to 2 Bs

maybe try and pick up a new 3rd A level... if you like maths why not try Economics?

or does any school near you offer fast track A levels?
Reply 8
Original post by Miso77
What did you get? So are you doing two now.. When and how are you going to university with two alevels?

I've got an A for Math, B for Further Maths ( going to resit one module to make it A). I need the third A level for a top university :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I would find another nearby college/school/sixth-form and repeat the year there - it really isn't that bad (I repeated my A2 year at a different place and it was the best thing I ever did).

If you found any of the subjects a real struggle you could pick something else.

im thinking of doing that but it's so embarrassing because I worked hard to get in to my sixth form and how do I explain moving school because of grades to my university. But I don't want to waste a year trying to make D's into B's and U in a C and STILL not get in anywhere. What's my safest bet? I found chemistry very hard but the others I honestly thought I did ok in, in June..
Original post by Miso77
i want to continue at my school but maybe they won't let me do two alevels? I'm so annoyed at my results. I just wish you could get remarks and that result before we enrol. What would I have to say in my personal statement t convince them? Because I wanted to go to at least newcastle or Northumbria which is ABB at minimum... Do they just give out conditional offers or decline people with my grades?

what do you want to study? most northumbria course I know of are BBB or 300 points

im a northumbria student and I have no A levels, my friend got Cs and Ds and got onto the foundation year
Reply 11
Original post by rattusratus
I doubt you could carry on chemistry or maths without re-sits as those are fail grades

definitely stick with biology and psychology you can pull those up to 2 Bs

maybe try and pick up a new 3rd A level... if you like maths why not try Economics?

or does any school near you offer fast track A levels?

I can maybe do maths and re take the modules in June but I doubt they'll let me because they won't have faith in me. Maybe I could do that and apply for university a year late. But for my third year I would have to a college because my sixth only allows students to do two years! What are fast track a levels?
Original post by Miso77
I can maybe do maths and re take the modules in June but I doubt they'll let me because they won't have faith in me. Maybe I could do that and apply for university a year late. But for my third year I would have to a college because my sixth only allows students to do two years! What are fast track a levels?

fast track A levels are where you do AS and A2 at the same time and it only takes 1 year instead of 2

are you from the north east? I know hartlepool offers fast tracks and gateshead might but im not sure
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
what do you want to study? most northumbria course I know of are BBB or 300 points

im a northumbria student and I have no A levels, my friend got Cs and Ds and got onto the foundation year

Maybe like biology, it's not my first option or psychology. Or a combined course with those two. It's not really what I'm passionate about but I just want to go to uni
Reply 14
Original post by DinuJ
I've got an A for Math, B for Further Maths ( going to resit one module to make it A). I need the third A level for a top university :frown:

Where will you get your third a level from?
Reply 15
fast track A levels are where you do AS and A2 at the same time and it only takes 1 year instead of 2

are you from the north east? I know hartlepool offers fast tracks and gateshead might but im not sure

oh would that not be super hard considering there are no January exams?? I'm from Leeds
Reply 16
If you tried really hard and came out with those grades, maybe academics aren't for you?
Reply 17
Original post by Tabzqt
If you tried really hard and came out with those grades, maybe academics aren't for you?

Its all I want to do and I believe I can do, I think I tried too hard? I didn't get any sleep and over worked myself but I don't know. I want to go to university but to me I feel like its my only option because I'm not arty and I really do love learning
Reply 18
Original post by Miso77
Its all I want to do and I believe I can do, I think I tried too hard? I didn't get any sleep and over worked myself but I don't know. I want to go to university but to me I feel like its my only option because I'm not arty and I really do love learning

How will you cope at university if you get fail grades in your AS levels?
Original post by Miso77
oh would that not be super hard considering there are no January exams?? I'm from Leeds

if your not bothered what course you do you could do a softer A level... biology is a respected science and combined with a good social science I think you could get away with a softer subject

Quick Reply

Latest