The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Haha nice find! Imams looking very spiffy although I imagine the grass stain being a pain to get out afterwards.

Tell me about it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just want to testify to say indeed Jesus is alive and working on this earth.

I turned to my usual daily devotional from UCB, this is called Word for Today. I get sent a copy every quarter. I received my current copy around Mid July, they get printed months in advance,

I opened today's reading and couldn't believe the message I was reading, please see attachment.

How was God to know that Hannah Smith would commit suicide in August at the back of bullying? How did he know that this would be the right time to send this message?

We serve an amazing God I tell you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Quick question to all those who know the man's work better than I do, is C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy is worth a read?
Reply 483
Didn't have time to chat about results until now; had to rush off to Granddad's funeral. Had to read a poem after the eulogy which was really nerve racking because I was a bit emotional, plus there were sooooo many people! But everyone said it was good so phew! Was a really good service apart from the minor hitch of everyone finishing the final hymn too quickly somehow (we think it was the organist's fault :ninja: ) resulting in everyone finishing, but the organist continuing and the priest carrying on singing on his own whilst the congregation stood in awkward silence :biggrin:

Anyway, results day was crazy! Got 3 high As plus an A in my EPQ, but missed my Cambridge offer by 1 UMS (classic :biggrin:) so contacted them for reconsideration and sat very stressed with the teachers when I would have liked to have been celebrating with friends :frown: after much conversation with just about every teacher in the school, I decided I should go with Durham and ask Cambridge not to reconsider as I actually prefer Durham (long story) but was super worried that I would be making a mistake with such an important decision, so was advised to take a walk. My garden backs onto an abandoned golf course which has now basically become a beautiful meadow so sat out there :hippie: was just about to go in and tell Cambridge not to bother when the dogs escaped and I had to catch them :biggrin: in the time it took for me to do that, Cambridge had gotten back to me and said they didn't want me anyway! Which made me ecstatic because the decision was taken out of my hands and I get to go to Durham! :ahee:

TL; DR Going to Durham :wink:

Lots of posts since I was last on but read all and will be praying for those who need it and congratulations to everyone else on their results! :awesome:
Original post by Diety
Didn't have time to chat about results until now; had to rush off to Granddad's funeral. Had to read a poem after the eulogy which was really nerve racking because I was a bit emotional, plus there were sooooo many people! But everyone said it was good so phew! Was a really good service apart from the minor hitch of everyone finishing the final hymn too quickly somehow (we think it was the organist's fault :ninja: ) resulting in everyone finishing, but the organist continuing and the priest carrying on singing on his own whilst the congregation stood in awkward silence :biggrin:

Anyway, results day was crazy! Got 3 high As plus an A in my EPQ, but missed my Cambridge offer by 1 UMS (classic :biggrin:) so contacted them for reconsideration and sat very stressed with the teachers when I would have liked to have been celebrating with friends :frown: after much conversation with just about every teacher in the school, I decided I should go with Durham and ask Cambridge not to reconsider as I actually prefer Durham (long story) but was super worried that I would be making a mistake with such an important decision, so was advised to take a walk. My garden backs onto an abandoned golf course which has now basically become a beautiful meadow so sat out there :hippie: was just about to go in and tell Cambridge not to bother when the dogs escaped and I had to catch them :biggrin: in the time it took for me to do that, Cambridge had gotten back to me and said they didn't want me anyway! Which made me ecstatic because the decision was taken out of my hands and I get to go to Durham! :ahee:

Lots of posts since I was last on but read all and will be praying for those who need it and congratulations to everyone else on their results! :awesome:

:five: :five: :five: congrats on your results and I hope you have a wonderful time at Durham :smile: what will you be studying?
Reply 485
Original post by chickenonsteroids
:five: :five: :five: congrats on your results and I hope you have a wonderful time at Durham :smile: what will you be studying?

Thanks! :h:
Theology :biggrin: FTW!
Original post by Diety

Congrats on doing so well at the funeral! Fair play to the priest for carrying on and not just bottling it and giving the organist a death glare.

Huzzah for rejection! :biggrin: I really need to see Durham, it looks so glorious. When do you move in?
Reply 487
Original post by Diety

Durham is totes better than Cambridge anyway :ninja:

Which college? Have we already had this discussion...?

Also, assuming things haven't changed too much since I was there, I highly recommend the Making of Modern Christianity second year theology module :yep:
Reply 488
Congrats on doing so well at the funeral! Fair play to the priest for carrying on and not just bottling it and giving the organist a death glare.

Huzzah for rejection! :biggrin: I really need to see Durham, it looks so glorious. When do you move in?

Thanks :biggrin: September 28th I think, then I have 2 days to settle before the beginning of freshers week :h:

Original post by Aula
Durham is totes better than Cambridge anyway :ninja:

It's like Cambridge but cold and northern.... and better :biggrin: Don't mind the northern bit though because my whole family lives around the same area :h: just need a good jumper :wink:

Which college? Have we already had this discussion...?

I don't think so... I got my first choice; John's :biggrin: I absolutely love the place but really worried about getting last minute shifted because they say that is a possibility if you had Durham as your insurance... :s-smilie:

Also, assuming things haven't changed too much since I was there, I highly recommend the Making of Modern Christianity second year theology module :yep:

Cool, thanks for the advice :h: I'll have a look at the info on that module in a mo. First year options will be a difficult choice though; only get to chose one module and there a couple I think would be good :smile:
People probably know about this but in case not, The National Theatre did a production of the KJV Bible complete with God knows how many people. It has the wonderful Simon Russel Beale, Patricia Routledge, Mark Gatiss, Andrew Scott (Moriary is Jesus. it's that awesome) and Alan Howard among others. It's really worth a listen: http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/discover-more/digital-classroom/podcasts/subscribe-or-listen

Original post by Diety
Thanks :biggrin: September 28th I think, then I have 2 days to settle before the beginning of freshers week :h:

Ah so nice and late, that's good. Gotta procrastinate while you still can :yep:
Reply 490
Original post by Diety

It's like Cambridge but cold and northern.... and better :biggrin: Don't mind the northern bit though because my whole family lives around the same area :h: just need a good jumper :wink:

Very much so. And a coat. And a scarf. And gloves.
But probably not until November. October was usually okay weather wise :yep:

I don't think so... I got my first choice; John's :biggrin: I absolutely love the place but really worried about getting last minute shifted because they say that is a possibility if you had Durham as your insurance... :s-smilie:

All colleges have their charms though, so you'd have been fine wherever you ended up :yep:
John's has the reputation for being the very 'CU' college, but is very pretty.

Cool, thanks for the advice :h: I'll have a look at the info on that module in a mo. First year options will be a difficult choice though; only get to chose one module and there a couple I think would be good :smile:

Can't help at all with first year modules. I only did the one theology module, although it was in 2010-11, so there's less chance of it having changed, compared to if I'd done it in my actual second year.
All my friends who studied theology loved it though, so they must be doing something right :awesome:
Original post by Diety
Thanks! :h:
Theology :biggrin: FTW!

YEA :biggrin: I'm studying philosophy :colone: we gon' be the best yo. THE BEST EVER I TELL YOU
Reply 492
Would appreciate prayers, guys. My application at university is stressing my mum out, as it's kinda been delayed. I've been praying that the university gets my application sorted out soon, and would appreciate your support.
Reply 493
Original post by navarre
Would appreciate prayers, guys. My application at university is stressing my mum out, as it's kinda been delayed. I've been praying that the university gets my application sorted out soon, and would appreciate your support.

Definitely praying for you. I had a delay in knowing where I'd be going to university (although thankfully I didn't have to go through clearing), but it's important to remember that everything works out in the end :yep:
Reply 494
Ah so nice and late, that's good. Gotta procrastinate while you still can :yep:

But of course :wink:

Original post by Aula
Very much so. And a coat. And a scarf. And gloves.
But probably not until November. October was usually okay weather wise :yep:

:biggrin: Thanks for the advice!

All colleges have their charms though, so you'd have been fine wherever you ended up :yep:
John's has the reputation for being the very 'CU' college, but is very pretty.

I only met one person from CU when I was there on a 2 day open day, and she seemed perfectly fine :tongue: Is Durham's CU very evangelical then?
I really like Johns because it is really geared towards my subject (with it's library consisting mostly of theology books) plus it's small and looks like a rabbit hole which I love :biggrin:

Can't help at all with first year modules. I only did the one theology module, although it was in 2010-11, so there's less chance of it having changed, compared to if I'd done it in my actual second year.
All my friends who studied theology loved it though, so they must be doing something right :awesome:

I hope so! :biggrin:

Original post by chickenonsteroids
YEA :biggrin: I'm studying philosophy :colone: we gon' be the best yo. THE BEST EVER I TELL YOU

haha :biggrin: sure thing! Congrats on UCL by the way :h:
Reply 495
Original post by navarre

Praying :console:
Reply 496
Original post by Aula
Definitely praying for you. I had a delay in knowing where I'd be going to university (although thankfully I didn't have to go through clearing), but it's important to remember that everything works out in the end :yep:

Original post by Diety
Praying :console:

Cheers guys. It's be so ironic, even veering on black comedy, if after the rigorous process I went through to get into medicine, I was let down by something as silly as forgetting to fill out a form. It's my typical stupidity that got me into this mess, though God helps His children who are in need.
Reply 497
Original post by Diety
:biggrin: Thanks for the advice!
Welcome!
I learnt to text with my phone inside my hoody pocket :mmm:
Also, I learnt to never leave the house without my gloves. An important lesson that people today seem to forget about.
(unless it was summer, in which case I didn't. But I do have a great love of gloves :love:)

I only met one person from CU when I was there on a 2 day open day, and she seemed perfectly fine :tongue: Is Durham's CU very evangelical then?

Individual people tended to be fine, but they were very evangelical when I was there. However, they were looking into changing and becoming a university affiliated society in my final year. I don't know whether that went ahead though, or not :dontknow:

I really like Johns because it is really geared towards my subject (with it's library consisting mostly of theology books) plus it's small and looks like a rabbit hole which I love :biggrin:

That is is :mmm:
The bar has two entrances, one of which has a rather low ceiling. My friends used to dislike the fact that I didn't need to duck to go in. Well, there have to be some benefits to being short!

I hope so! :biggrin:

:sigh: I really am rather jealous. I wish I could go back and do it again.

Well, kinda. Without the whole essay stress thing anyway...

Enjoy it, love it, make the absolute most of it. :yep:
Original post by navarre

Will do :yep: There never seems to be a middle ground with unis, they're eitherly really effecient or not at all. No matter what happens you'll get something that will work out.
Original post by Diety

Happy that the funeral went as well as can be expected :yep: also congrats on the results and Durham! You'll have a great time. One of my friends has just graduated from John's studying law and loved it. Apparently half the people at John's in her year are engaged though (Christians marry young and all that jazz) so watch out for girls :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending