The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophie97
I would go for Physics instead of French if I were you - it keeps your options entirely open!
Good luck anyway, whatever you take!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh I'll think about it :frown: Thank you and good luck to you as well!!
Original post by sophie97
Yep 100% but you don't need biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay then, I'll think of another career path :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reading some posts... With regards to a level choices, please don't say things like "you need X and Y 100%" because some of it is quite wrong.

Only say things if you know, or make it clear it's an opinion.
Original post by EvasiveRose
Thanks for the comments, guys. Saying no is easier said than done. I'd rather not play out my problems anymore as it is likely other people have bigger problems than me right now. I'll just find a way around it

In my enrollment information pack it says that you don't have to take your parents so maybe you could go without your parents and choose the subjects you want to do.
Original post by mollyh77
Are they all with CCEA? How'd you find the Sciences?? (barely anyone else on here seems to have done them as separate sciences on CCEA, most did Double Award) I would feel the same if school weren't sending me up a mountain as soon as I get my results :tongue: Can't be bothered to get organised!
Yep, we are! It's really only in the case of Further Maths though - because you do the Maths in a year and then the Further Maths the next year, it's really like you're only doing 4 each year. Also most people drop it after the Maths A Level is completed so they only have 3 subjects to do in the second year but end up with 4 A Levels overall anyway. It's a nice wee bit of flexibility - only a small number of people do it though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they are all with CCEA.
I thought they were mostly fine with a few tricky questions. The physics unit 2 exam was really shot or so I thought. I know everyone seems to have done double award.
I wish I could do a fifth one because I had to sacrafice some subjects I would have liked to do.
Anyone here looking to go into Accountancy?
Original post by sweet_gyal97
oh right!!!! i get it now thanks!!
the teachers did spend ages explaining it but i still didnt get it....i hope that the grade boundaries dont go higher its all so mysterious!!
woow thats great for coursework!! what did u get fo the exam and when did u do it??

That was my overall grade because they created a spreadsheet with my completed exam result + my marked coursework marks.Overall I got 105/120 UMS (A) for the exam and 165/180(A*) for the coursework 49/60 UMS (A) for Unit 1 and 116/120 UMS (A*) for Unit 3.
Reply 4727
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Reading some posts... With regards to a level choices, please don't say things like "you need X and Y 100%" because some of it is quite wrong.

Only say things if you know, or make it clear it's an opinion.

Okay I apologise - I am 99% sure you need physics and maths at a level to do an undergrad degree in biomedical engineering. It's engineering - the whole thing is based on the concepts of maths and physics. I have looked at many different university's entry requirements and every one of them say you need maths and physics to at the very least as level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aneesah_May
Just over 5 days left. Anxiety is kicking in but listening to pussycat dolls. Im mote anxious about starting college though like s new school new mates etc

The anxiety is definitely kicking in now-its a lot worse than in previous years because I was worried about doing bad in subjects I was pretty sure I had done well in but now I'm worrying about a subject I really think I haven't done so well in and how I might have done even worse-I'm so scared to pick up that Geography result, the overall result won't be that bad at least a C due to previous units and coursework unless I get an absolutely ridiculous U but that Unit 3 exam result is going to be really bad.

The exam was pretty hard and had some hard questions but I failed on the questions that should have been there and had started to realise that although I was putting down good points with explanation there was no real links and connections across the piece and that it didn't flow like it should have done and that made me realise why I only got a B in Unit 2 and how bad I've probably done in that exam.

After the exam, I was pretty sure I had still got an A overall in Geography but now due to this anxiety attack I'm starting to think a B is much more probable and at this rate tomorrow I'll be telling you I've got a C with a very low U in Unit 3.

The results have to come now even though I'm dreading my Geography teacher finding out I've failed him.
Original post by mascot of NI
Yeah they are all with CCEA.
I thought they were mostly fine with a few tricky questions. The physics unit 2 exam was really shot or so I thought. I know everyone seems to have done double award.
I wish I could do a fifth one because I had to sacrafice some subjects I would have liked to do.

What did you do for Englit?
Yeah same! I really liked the Chemistry papers though, especially unit 2 - it was basically memorisation and pretty simple :/ Now that I say that I hope I haven't jinxed it! Physics 2 had some odd ones -our class hadn't been taught anything about polarisation and I had to teach myself that from the revision book :tongue: hope it's gone well thoughh
That's a shame :frown: - what subjects are you doing?
Original post by usycool1
In the whole of A-Level maths, my lowest mark was on C1, supposedly the easiest module :ninja:

I'm pretty sure I know why you didn't do so well in that unit-it was because of silly mistakes wasn't it? Thats why I probably haven't done as well in my Maths GCSE as my Further Maths GCSE.

I can't believe that I didn't make 2 sides of a square equal to each other and use that to find the perimeter of the square but I just formed an algebraic expression in my Unit 3 exam.
After looking into my A-level Booklet off the College it appears that some of the entry requirements are incredibly low if you get a D in English Language and a D in Maths there are still quite a few A-Levels available for you providing you did well in English Literature even History allows you to get a D in Language as long as you have got a B in Literature and if you pass one of Maths and English then there are loads of A-Levels available to you because only a few courses ask for both English and Maths.
What did you do for Englit?
Yeah same! I really liked the Chemistry papers though, especially unit 2 - it was basically memorisation and pretty simple :/ Now that I say that I hope I haven't jinxed it! Physics 2 had some odd ones -our class hadn't been taught anything about polarisation and I had to teach myself that from the revision book :tongue: hope it's gone well thoughh
That's a shame :frown: - what subjects are you doing?

Do you mean as in what texts? In that case To Kill A Mockingbird and An Inspector Calls. What did you do? For A level I'm doing Biology, Chemistry , English lit and Spanish.
Reply 4733
Hey guys,

Just wondering, When sixth forms ask for a grade B in "English" Do they mean English language or Literature? Or combined?

Regards
Do you mean as in what texts? In that case To Kill A Mockingbird and An Inspector Calls. What did you do? For A level I'm doing Biology, Chemistry , English lit and Spanish.

Oh same here! I was really pleased with how TKAMB went in the exam (having got up at 5am and made an essay plan for the Jem question that very morning) but not so sure about inspector calls or poetry..Speaking of poetry, what did you think of the Unseen?! It was pretty weird!
Those sound like a nice balanced set of A Levels! Plenty of 'facilitating subjects' :P What do you want do with them? (As in at uni)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh same here! I was really pleased with how TKAMB went in the exam (having got up at 5am and made an essay plan for the Jem question that very morning) but not so sure about inspector calls or poetry..Speaking of poetry, what did you think of the Unseen?! It was pretty weird!
Those sound like a nice balanced set of A Levels! Plenty of 'facilitating subjects' :P What do you want do with them? (As in at uni)

Posted from TSR Mobile

That unseen was actually kind of disturbing. I'm hoping to do medicine at university but if that doesn't work out (hopefully it will) I would like to do something in politics and use my Spanish possibly embassy work. What about you and what did you do for your Shakespeare controlled assessment. I did Macbeth.
After today, we have only 3 sleepless nights to face. Not bad eh? :wink: Good luck to all u guys, nuff love X
That unseen was actually kind of disturbing. I'm hoping to do medicine at university but if that doesn't work out (hopefully it will) I would like to do something in politics and use my Spanish possibly embassy work. What about you and what did you do for your Shakespeare controlled assessment. I did Macbeth.

I know!! I mean killing cats and flying seagulls as kites? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

EDIT: Oops accidentally hit send before I was ready...
Yeah, medicine is a good degree to do! I was considering that until recently :smile: I'm sure it will work out - what kind of results are you expecting? But it's always good to have a backup plan!
Well NatSci at Cambridge is the dream at the minute but we'll see how that gooes
I did Macbeth as well, about his relationship with his wife and then we compared the Macbeths to the Bumbles, from Oliver Twist. It was unbelievably dull :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
I know!! I mean killing cats and flying seagulls as kites? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

EDIT: Oops accidentally hit send before I was ready...
Yeah, medicine is a good degree to do! I was considering that until recently :smile: I'm sure it will work out - what kind of results are you expecting? But it's always good to have a backup plan!
Well NatSci at Cambridge is the dream at the minute but we'll see how that gooes
I did Macbeth as well, about his relationship with his wife and then we compared the Macbeths to the Bumbles, from Oliver Twist. It was unbelievably dull :tongue:

I'm predicted 9 A* and 1 A but I don't think I'll get that.
that sounds interesting and I would love to study at Cambridge but without physics it is nearly impossible to get in for medicine.
That doesn't sound the most interesting of topics. We had to compare the women in Macbeth with the women in Thomas Hardy's The Withered arm.
I'm predicted 9 A* and 1 A but I don't think I'll get that.
that sounds interesting and I would love to study at Cambridge but without physics it is nearly impossible to get in for medicine.
That doesn't sound the most interesting of topics. We had to compare the women in Macbeth with the women in Thomas Hardy's The Withered arm.

Sort of the same here - all of my teachers except my english lit teacher told me I was looking at an A* (english teacher told me she couldn't judge what an A* was :tongue:) so that's 9A*s and 1 A but I really think I'm more realistically going to get about 6 A*s and 4 As (hopefully no Bs!)
Seems like you'll have the grades so as long as you keep up the hard work, be a caring and empathetic individual and get some work experience, you'll be a shoe-in! :wink:
Yeah, it looks like a really good course :smile: Well, is it not without Physics or Maths? I'm pretty sure Maths is counted as a science subject! (Although you don't do that either..so slightly irrelevant :tongue:) But you say nearly impossible - so people do manage it! If it's where you want to study then you should try for sure, but if you're not completely set on it then it's probably better to apply somewhere it'd be easier to get in I guess.
No it really wasn't :/ But then again I found Lit to be pretty dull overall - you're a brave soul taking it to A Level!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest