The Student Room Group

Computer support technician job; interview questions?

I applied to this job a couple days ago. I got an email today saying I've got a telephone interview. What I'm slightly concerned about is in the email it said they will ask "a few technical questions to gauge your technical aptitude." I have never worked in IT or even studied it/have a qualification. What exactly am I going to be asked? I really think I would do well in this but I have no idea what I'm going to be asked. Here is the job description:

Spoiler

Thanks all in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by S'Class
I applied to this job a couple days ago. I got an email today saying I've got a telephone interview. What I'm slightly concerned about is in the email it said they will ask "a few technical questions to gauge your technical aptitude." I have never worked in IT or even studied it/have a qualification. What exactly am I going to be asked? I really think I would do well in this but I have no idea what I'm going to be asked. Here is the job description:

Spoiler

Thanks all in advance.

Looking at that description, you'd be covering a fairly broad range of stuff so I couldn't recommend any specific new skills to learn in advance of the interview. Even if you haven't studied IT formally, you'll have picked up many skills just using technology day to day so these could come in useful.

If you get asked about problems that you can't immediately resolve then first of all check for any basic issues - are there any cables unplugged or is a website not working because the customer's internet connection has gone down for instance. Try and narrow down the problem to a specific device or piece of software. That way, even of you can't resolve the problem yourself then you would be able to refer the customer to someone with more expertise in that area.
Reply 2
Original post by ttoby
Looking at that description, you'd be covering a fairly broad range of stuff so I couldn't recommend any specific new skills to learn in advance of the interview. Even if you haven't studied IT formally, you'll have picked up many skills just using technology day to day so these could come in useful.

If you get asked about problems that you can't immediately resolve then first of all check for any basic issues - are there any cables unplugged or is a website not working because the customer's internet connection has gone down for instance. Try and narrow down the problem to a specific device or piece of software. That way, even of you can't resolve the problem yourself then you would be able to refer the customer to someone with more expertise in that area.

Thank you. But what exactly do they mean by gauging my technical attitude?
Reply 3
Original post by S'Class
Thank you. But what exactly do they mean by gauging my technical attitude?

Attitude or aptitude? Looking up aptitude in the dictionary, it seems they're interested in your general ability to solve problems of a technical nature. So for instance they would want to see if you can ask the right questions, not get really confused, spot if something looks wrong and is potentially causing an issue etc.

Edit: I'll also clarify that this is more of a soft skill that they're testing rather than looking for a raw level of knowledge.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ttoby
Attitude or aptitude? Looking up aptitude in the dictionary, it seems they're interested in your general ability to solve problems of a technical nature. So for instance they would want to see if you can ask the right questions, not get really confused, spot if something looks wrong and is potentially causing an issue etc.

Edit: I'll also clarify that this is more of a soft skill that they're testing rather than looking for a raw level of knowledge.

Yes sorry aptitude. OK thank you, just nervous because I've never done this kind of thing before. Thank you.
Reply 5
Original post by S'Class
Yes sorry aptitude. OK thank you, just nervous because I've never done this kind of thing before. Thank you.

It's worth getting some practice then before the interview. If you know anyone having trouble with their computer, go and help them fix it. Or alternatively, get a friend to 'break' their computer by perhaps unplugging something or changing a setting then go and try and fix their problem.
They want to gauge your problem solving skills, how you think when you are presented with a problem etc. And also knowledge of windows and office is pretty much expected. (Source - I work in IT)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending