The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2013 - Discussion

SQA Results Discussion - Tuesday 6 August 2013

This is a place for you to discuss anything about your SQA results. Share your results with other members, discuss how you feel about your results and tell us what your next step is. Have a read of our guide to SQA results day article which will hopefully answer a number of frequently asked questions and have a peek at our 'Understanding your Scottish Qualifications Certificate' article to save you some confusion on the big day. If you want to find out more about appeals, or have a question about it then check out our SQA Appeals thread.

Best of luck and I hope you all achieve what you want! :smile:

Results Day is now here! Let us know how you got on and if you feel like it, you can answer the following questions after telling us what you got..

Did you meet your predictions?

Have you got the grades you needed for your next stage?

What will you be doing now that you have received your results?

If you are continuing to further education, which subjects will you be studying?

On a scale of 1 to 5, how nervous were you when opening your results? (1 being not at all, 5 being very nervous)

How did you find out your results? (e.g text? email? post?)

Was anyone with you when you opened your results?

How do you feel now that you have opened your results?

Any further comments?

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Although my exams are over I really hate the wait but I'm aware when summer comes results will be distant in my mind. My teachers already received her papers but I can't understand why we have to wait till August. Far too long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by weejackie10
Although my exams are over I really hate the wait but I'm aware when summer comes results will be distant in my mind. My teachers already received her papers but I can't understand why we have to wait till August. Far too long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just try to put it out of your mind and enjoy the summer! :console: I can't say definitively why results take a couple of months to come out, but as well as the physical marking of each paper there'll be a standardisation/moderation process to go through. There might also be a desire for results not to be too far in advance of those for A-Levels, given that university entrance often depends on them.
Reply 3
Same, I just want to be put out of my misery :smile:.
It's so unnerving to think that my papers may already have been marked...my future could already be decided.
Don't go as far as your future, grades aren't always everything. My friend has only 3's at standard grades and now he's really high up in royal bank, he said its down to your ability to sell yourself. At the end of the day, you'll be fine! Don't let these highers bother you too much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Not when you want to go to uni and you know what you want to study :s-smilie:.
Yeah but my point is don't get yourself too worked up and bothered about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I completely agree with you. I think there's too much pressure on students that they end up thinking if they don't get the top grades then their life goes downhill from there. Which is not true at all. Obviously good grades will be a massive help but some pupils may be top students all through the year but find themselves panicking and stumbling upon hurdles during an exam. But this does not mean that they were incapable of achieving the top grade, because they themselves know what they are capable of. My point is, don't let an exam result decide your fate! Rant over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly right, couldn't agree more. Although Education is important it's not an absolute travesty if you only get 2 highers whereas others get 5/6. If you work hard and are determined enough you'll seek rewards.
'Hard work beats talent If talent doesn't work hard'. Rant over also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have to mark them all and then they have markers meetings where they debate questions e.g. "you should get the mark for this" bla bla and their papers will probably be quality checked. Then it will all have to be put into an electronic system.
I actually think the results come quite fast. They mark hundreds of thousands of papers in 90 odd days and then print tens of thousands of each individual's certificates in 60 odd days. Not forgetting that they have to argue over grade boundaries and other things like that.
I know the wait is a pain. But there will be around 160000 candidates each year, each one sitting on average 4 or 5 exams. That's a lot of marking. then we have to make sure they are all marked equally closely so nobody is disadvantaged, we have to collate them all, allocate them to the right people, put them online, print all the certificates, chaeck them all, put teh envelopes together, lick all the stamps...

It takes me ages.
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Feel your pain for the last time:tongue: got to hand it to the markers,I would just keel over at thought of having to mark my own handwriting:colondollar:

My hand writing leans to the right and imagine a doctor's but scale that up by a factor of x10^2- Yep, thats engineering for ya!
Original post by Direct15
Feel your pain for the last time:tongue: got to hand it to the markers,I would just keel over at thought of having to mark my own handwriting:colondollar:

My hand writing leans to the right and imagine a doctor's but scale that up by a factor of x10^2- Yep, thats engineering for ya!

If I do an s and it aint at the beginning of a word its a straight line... :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by TheFOMaster
If I do an s and it aint at the beginning of a word its a straight line... :tongue:

v and r look the same, q and g look the same and well don't get started on my u's,o's and a's.

Hoping nobody ever asks me for notes, normally I have to translate what I can't even read:colondollar:
Original post by Direct15
v and r look the same, q and g look the same and well don't get started on my u's,o's and a's.

Hoping nobody ever asks me for notes, normally I have to translate what I can't even read:colondollar:

My modern studies teacher repeatedly told me that my handwriting was unacceptable for the exam and even went so far as to say that it would p*** off the marker. :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by ladymarshmallow
My modern studies teacher repeatedly told me that my handwriting was unacceptable for the exam and even went so far as to say that it would p*** off the marker. :frown:

That's harsh,my history teacher actually "retrained" my handwriting but after the exams I went back to the same old:colondollar: My physics teachers was horrific, so I thought if they can do it why can't I?
Reply 18
Don't go as far as your future, grades aren't always everything. My friend has only 3's at standard grades and now he's really high up in royal bank, he said its down to your ability to sell yourself. At the end of the day, you'll be fine! Don't let these highers bother you too much :smile:

Well that explains a lot. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Original post by TheFOMaster

I used to intentionally make my handwriting very messy on words that I wasn't 100% sure how to spell. Like whether it's an S or a C, I'd make my letter look like it could be either. Figured they'll assume it's my messy handwriting. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending