The Student Room Group

CCEA English Literature A-Level

Scroll to see replies

Frost and Thomas was a little disappointing; I never saw that coming. But I was good with 'The Glory' and okay-ish with 'Tuft of flowers' (surprising since I hadnt looked at it at all.)

Gatsby was great. I did myth of America. I have a feeling I should have included something on the mythical novel- and I didn't- but what I did write was parrrfait.

Let's hope I can get the B I need for Unaayyy!
Reply 121
It was a rough enough paper, the AS students were all a bit annoyed after it as it wasn't what they expected but I know CCEA love tricky wording in questions, went for Hero, was pleased with Yeats/Kavanagh as my teacher predicted it!
i went for myth and im praying that by myth they meant dream, because all I wrote about was the american declaration of independance and stuff lol
For those of you who did hero - what kind of points did you explore?
Reply 124
Original post by Procrastinator123
For those of you who did hero - what kind of points did you explore?

I basically spent half of my essay comparing and contrasting nick and gatsby as BOTH heroes of the novel. HOWEVER, I said gatsby was a "tragic hero" and referenced Aristotle's meaning of the term (AO3/4 - GET IN!) yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to everyone today, and for those that already got their results, did anyone else have a MASSIVE gap between coursework grade and exam grade?

I was on an A in coursework, but somehow got an E in the exam, and it was a barely scraped E at that...
I got a C overall, but I'm really confused because I thought the exam went well
Original post by ZaraJayne
Good luck to everyone today, and for those that already got their results, did anyone else have a MASSIVE gap between coursework grade and exam grade?

I was on an A in coursework, but somehow got an E in the exam, and it was a barely scraped E at that...

I got lower than I was expecting in the exam modules but not hugely. Have your friends got their results yet? Sometimes a whole centre does badly in a subject for no apparent reason.
Reply 127

Full UMS in the coursework and a D in the exam! I put it down to that disaster of a Heaney/Montague question! :angry:
Original post by zergonipal
I got lower than I was expecting in the exam modules but not hugely. Have your friends got their results yet? Sometimes a whole centre does badly in a subject for no apparent reason.

I'm not sure about the rest of my class, but I'll definately check.
Original post by wontdeny
Full UMS in the coursework and a D in the exam! I put it down to that disaster of a Heaney/Montague question! :angry:

My issue is that I don't think my exam went badly. The poetry question I got for Duffy/Lochhead was similar to one I'd done 3 times before the exam, and the Gatsby bit wasn't awful either. I think I'll have to get my paper back to see what happened...
Reply 130
My issue is that I don't think my exam went badly. The poetry question I got for Duffy/Lochhead was similar to one I'd done 3 times before the exam, and the Gatsby bit wasn't awful either. I think I'll have to get my paper back to see what happened...

Definitely getting mine back. I'm sure it was only the poetry though, the same question has come up 3 or 4 times since 2009 when the spec came in, and the teacher didn't bother teaching us the childhood poems. It was hard to be angry at her to see her after the exam though. At least I got a B overall which it pretty good I guess... I just want to see the breakdown between the questions :s-smilie:
Got a C. Not complaining cause that's all I needed for uni!
Got an A in my coursework and a D in the exam! I thought the exam went well. Only thing I can think is half of my Gatsby essay focusing on Nick as the hero; but for Gatsby I mentioned various heroes - romantic, tragic, etc. Plus we went over Gatsby as a hero in the revision class which was about an hour beforehand, so the knowledge was fresh in my mind! The poems, to my knowledge, were the correct ones and ones I had revised.

Getting a photocopy of the script as I am getting it remarked as I got a C overall and was 4 marks off a B; I write small so I'm hoping perhaps the examiner was unable to read some things which would have gained me marks.

Everyone I have spoke to has gotten less than they were predicted, with those predicted As getting Ds and Es in the exam.
Original post by Zadeth
Got an A in my coursework and a D in the exam! I thought the exam went well. Only thing I can think is half of my Gatsby essay focusing on Nick as the hero; but for Gatsby I mentioned various heroes - romantic, tragic, etc. Plus we went over Gatsby as a hero in the revision class which was about an hour beforehand, so the knowledge was fresh in my mind! The poems, to my knowledge, were the correct ones and ones I had revised.

Getting a photocopy of the script as I am getting it remarked as I got a C overall and was 4 marks off a B; I write small so I'm hoping perhaps the examiner was unable to read some things which would have gained me marks.

Everyone I have spoke to has gotten less than they were predicted, with those predicted As getting Ds and Es in the exam.

Don't worry next year is a lot better, trust me! I done this exam three times! Got D, D, E! I managed to get a C overall thanks to this years work! :smile: Now I'm off to uni!
Original post by Zadeth

I'm in exactly the same boat. The only thing I can think I did wrong is maybe picking the wrong poems, but that's only half the marks...

I think it's too subjective, and if an examiner gets your script, and they aren't familiar with the text or poems, then you're pretty screwed, because they are going ENTIRELY on the mark scheme.

Let me know how you get on though, because I'm getting my paper back and maybe a remark, and I'd like to see how others get on with remarks for English.
Reply 135
I'm in exactly the same boat. The only thing I can think I did wrong is maybe picking the wrong poems, but that's only half the marks...

I think it's too subjective, and if an examiner gets your script, and they aren't familiar with the text or poems, then you're pretty screwed, because they are going ENTIRELY on the mark scheme.

Let me know how you get on though, because I'm getting my paper back and maybe a remark, and I'd like to see how others get on with remarks for English.

Don't be disheartened, I did the AS Module in January of AS and got a U!
Redid it that June and got a high C, brought up to a B by coursework.
Repeated again in June of A2 and got 111/120 :redface: Couldn't believe it, if I can jump from U to A in the space of 16 months, anyone can pull up a D/E in the exam

You got your remark yet?
Just started this - apprehensive and excited!
Original post by Zadeth
You got your remark yet?

Nope. My teacher wanted me to get the paper back first, so I'm sending off for the remark today.
Have you got yours?
Nope. My teacher wanted me to get the paper back first, so I'm sending off for the remark today.
Have you got yours?

Hi, yeah. Went to a B overall, went up 9 marks. A girl in my class went up 23 marks and from a D to a B. My principal isn't happy and she's been phoning CCEA - so they might go for a full center remark.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending