The Student Room Group

Help! Low grade, what to do?

Hey! :smile:
I'm not 100% sure if I'm posting this is the correct place, so apologies in advance!

Basically, I studied Cache Level 3 diploma in Childcare and Education 2010-2012, and applied for uni to study Children's Nursing but ending up getting no offers! My expected grade was C, which would have been enough UCAS points to get me in uni. I ended up getting a D overall, with only a few points away from a C, so even if I did get an offer, I wouldn't have got in...So I ended up just working not doing anything to get myself into uni, but after working for a year I now realise that I need to do something about it! I know I can apply for a uni next year with a health foundation year, but that would be putting all my eggs in one basket, and also I'd like to start doing something now rather than wasting another year!

So basically, what would you recommend doing to do?

Scroll to see replies

McDonalds are hiring.
Reply 2
Original post by Cestlavie_0
Hey! :smile:
I'm not 100% sure if I'm posting this is the correct place, so apologies in advance!

Basically, I studied Cache Level 3 diploma in Childcare and Education 2010-2012, and applied for uni to study Children's Nursing but ending up getting no offers! My expected grade was C, which would have been enough UCAS points to get me in uni. I ended up getting a D overall, with only a few points away from a C, so even if I did get an offer, I wouldn't have got in...So I ended up just working not doing anything to get myself into uni, but after working for a year I now realise that I need to do something about it! I know I can apply for a uni next year with a health foundation year, but that would be putting all my eggs in one basket, and also I'd like to start doing something now rather than wasting another year!

So basically, what would you recommend doing to do?

Look in clearing NOW to see if there are any foundation courses available- if there are contact UCAS today
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
Look in clearing NOW to see if there are any foundation courses available- if there are contact UCAS today

I did see one foundation year course at the Uni I'd like to go to, but it says I wouldn't be able to get any loan or grant, does that mean for the course fee as well?!! £5500! :eek:
Reply 5
I did see one foundation year course at the Uni I'd like to go to, but it says I wouldn't be able to get any loan or grant, does that mean for the course fee as well?!! £5500! :eek:

Where was that you can usually get funding for foundation
Reply 6

http://www.keele.ac.uk/gfy/

"The course fee is £5,500, payable in instalments. Please note, that as this is a pre-degree programme students are not eligible for a student loan or grant. "
Reply 7

I have enough UCAS points for most, but I'd like to do Children's nursing, and unfortunately I cannot with the amount of UCAS points I have currently. I don't want to do a course for the sake of it, and regret it later
Reply 8
Ah- one of my friends is in a similar position. See if you are able to get anything through clearing ASAP. If not, then I'm afraid you might have to look at another year of working while you try for a course with the foundation year. Sorry if that isn't necessarily what you wanted to here! Best of luck!
Reply 9

It was at Keele, it is a General Foundation year.
I have enough UCAS points for most, but I'd like to do Children's nursing, and unfortunately I cannot with the amount of UCAS points I have currently. I don't want to do a course for the sake of it, and regret it later

Fair enough :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by MJG23
Ah- one of my friends is in a similar position. See if you are able to get anything through clearing ASAP. If not, then I'm afraid you might have to look at another year of working while you try for a course with the foundation year. Sorry if that isn't necessarily what you wanted to here! Best of luck!

The problem is, there's only one Uni near me that offers the course I want to do with the health foundation year, so I may get rejected, and again have no options. Which is why I would like to try and do something this year so I can apply for the normal course so I can apply for more than one Uni, which would mean I'd have a better chance.
It was at Keele, it is a General Foundation year.

Ah, ok, no there is no funding even for tuition

What about doing something with the OU for a year to boost your profile
The problem is, there's only one Uni near me that offers the course I want to do with the health foundation year, so I may get rejected, and again have no options. Which is why I would like to try and do something this year so I can apply for the normal course so I can apply for more than one Uni, which would mean I'd have a better chance.

What uni is that - is that keele as well
Reply 14
Ah, ok, no there is no funding even for tuition

What about doing something with the OU for a year to boost your profile

I did have a look at that, but are they credible?
Reply 15
What uni is that - is that keele as well

Yes that's at Keele as well

Yes that's at Keele as well

Have you spoken to Keele
They are saying 180+ points on their clearing for the health foundation

If they say no - you could ask them what might make the difference

The OU are credible - both for a full degree but certainly for some credits - ask Keele if how they would respond to them
Reply 17

Most employers consider the OU to be a credible alternative. Like anything there is snobbery about universities (e.g. Oxbridge vs. some new institutions) but the OU sits somewhere within this spectrum, not outside.
Reply 18
Have you spoken to Keele
They are saying 180+ points on their clearing for the health foundation

If they say no - you could ask them what might make the difference

The OU are credible - both for a full degree but certainly for some credits - ask Keele if how they would respond to them

I did call Keele, but they had told me they had no vacancies for the health foundation year with Nursing. I may try and get in contact with them about the OU. I did notice they accept OU with the below. I guess, it's something I could look into, I just don't want to do it if it wouldn't be of any use with any other Uni.
What about an access course at a college, are they any good?

"Open University K101/

DD101/DD131 & DD 132
combined "

Reply 19
Original post by Masafi
Most employers consider the OU to be a credible alternative. Like anything there is snobbery about universities (e.g. Oxbridge vs. some new institutions) but the OU sits somewhere within this spectrum, not outside.

Thanks! That's good to know, I'll definitely have a further look into it!

Quick Reply

Latest