The Student Room Group

Student Loan - Overpayment

I have been receiving letters from Student finance stating I have been overpaid £2316 on my student grant. Since I started receiving the letters I have been throwing them over my shoulder but now they are threatening to send my account to Smith Lawson & Company. Should I worry? I did a bit browsing and when reading other posts similar to mine, replies have basically said not to worry. On the letter I have been receiving, Student Loans have not even explained how I have been overpaid, just stating that I have.

A friend told me not to call them, but to write?

I honestly do not know if I actually have been overpaid, but if I have I am prepared to pay, although I am stuck for cash so payments will have to be the bear minimum a month.

I have finished my course if that's any use. I anybody knows or has been in the same situation, advice will be much appreciated.
What do you think SLC means?
Smith, Lawson and Co. is the Student Loan Company!

However you must write and ask for an explanation as to why there is supposed to be an overpayment. If it is indeed an overpayment they are fully entitled to get it back off you and you don't want a CCJ against your name.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Padraig1992
I have been receiving letters from Student finance stating I have been overpaid £2316 on my student grant. Since I started receiving the letters I have been throwing them over my shoulder but now they are threatening to send my account to Smith Lawson & Company. Should I worry? I did a bit browsing and when reading other posts similar to mine, replies have basically said not to worry. On the letter I have been receiving, Student Loans have not even explained how I have been overpaid, just stating that I have.

A friend told me not to call them, but to write?

I honestly do not know if I actually have been overpaid, but if I have I am prepared to pay, although I am stuck for cash so payments will have to be the bear minimum a month.

I have finished my course if that's any use. I anybody knows or has been in the same situation, advice will be much appreciated.

SLC won't be able to tell you how you were overpaid, or if it can be reversed with further reassessment, because assessment is carried out by the award authority.

Even though SLC are the ones who chase the overpayment, if you want to find out if it's a valid overpayment, and how it occurred, the people you want to speak to are SFE, SFW, SFNI or SAAS, whichever applies.

I would recommend that you do start paying back the minimum amount to get SLC off your back, if your award authority find that it was not actually a genuine overpayment then they will refund the payments back to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending