The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyh77
Sort of the same here - all of my teachers except my english lit teacher told me I was looking at an A* (english teacher told me she couldn't judge what an A* was :tongue:) so that's 9A*s and 1 A but I really think I'm more realistically going to get about 6 A*s and 4 As (hopefully no Bs!)
Seems like you'll have the grades so as long as you keep up the hard work, be a caring and empathetic individual and get some work experience, you'll be a shoe-in! :wink:
Yeah, it looks like a really good course :smile: Well, is it not without Physics or Maths? I'm pretty sure Maths is counted as a science subject! (Although you don't do that either..so slightly irrelevant :tongue:) But you say nearly impossible - so people do manage it! If it's where you want to study then you should try for sure, but if you're not completely set on it then it's probably better to apply somewhere it'd be easier to get in I guess.
No it really wasn't :/ But then again I found Lit to be pretty dull overall - you're a brave soul taking it to A Level!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'll get something like 6 A*s and 4 As too.
I'll definitely be applying for Queen's. I quite enjoyed lit but that might be because my teacher was awesome and could be hilariously random.
Original post by mascot of NI
I think I'll get something like 6 A*s and 4 As too.
I'll definitely be applying for Queen's. I quite enjoyed lit but that might be because my teacher was awesome and could be hilariously random.

:five: You'll have to tell me what you get!
Hmm it seems like everyone goes to Queens! (Or Jordanstown) I don't think they do NatSci so when I apply there it'll probably just be for Chemistry or Chemical Engineering or something.. Not suree
I liked my teacher but not the subject; well until it got near exams and I started handing in extra essays and reminding the teacher to give us notes she'd promised us, which ended up with her calling me 'the most demanding pupil I've ever taught' and complaining about me to the rest of the class when I went to the bathroom hahah :P English lit seems like a lot of hard work so good luck!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Its Andy
No, they aren't.

There are 24 Unis in the Russel Group. There are also other unis outside of the RG that often rank higher than unis in the RG, such as St Andrew, Bath, Loughborough, Sussex and Leicester.

To give you an idea of what the RG is...

"The Russell Group is a collection of 24 leading UK universities. They aim to set a high standard of teaching and research, and it’s true that many of the universities take research very seriously indeed. In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, the Russell Group produced 60% of the UK’s ‘world leading’ research."
-
http://www.allaboutcareers.com/careers-advice/choosing-a-university/russell-group-universities

I believe the Russell Group are actually just the top 24 most funded universities or something like that but if the funding isn't spent wisely then whats the point and this lie about the Russell Group is widespread-in my College booklet it says that the Russell Group are the top 24 out of 302 universities and constantly refers to the Russell Group as top universities.

Durham use to be the major example of how the Russell Group wasn't everything because it was in the Top 10 most of the time but even though its joined, there are still other exceptions.
Original post by mollyh77
:five: You'll have to tell me what you get!
Hmm it seems like everyone goes to Queens! (Or Jordanstown) I don't think they do NatSci so when I apply there it'll probably just be for Chemistry or Chemical Engineering or something.. Not suree
I liked my teacher but not the subject; well until it got near exams and I started handing in extra essays and reminding the teacher to give us notes she'd promised us, which ended up with her calling me 'the most demanding pupil I've ever taught' and complaining about me to the rest of the class when I went to the bathroom hahah :P English lit seems like a lot of hard work so good luck!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try to remember and you can tell me how youts went. I think my teacher probably had a similar opinion of me haha. I know somebody starting chemical engineering at it and they are really looking forward to the course. And thanks, you too.
Guys! Do you know if the individual grade modules will come out on the results sheet? Thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone tell me, I did my Linear Maths in March, and got an A overall. I retook in June in the hope of getting an A* but it was abysmal and I gave up half way through and I think I probably ended up with a C/D. Will it still say on my results sheet that I got an A alongside my grade Ds or whatever?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sulfur
Your results sheet will say your current grade on that exam, and your final grade (the highest). So, if you did get a C/D, or a B for that matter, you'd still have your A grade overall.

Great thank you, was a little concerned about that! So for sixth form enrolment I don't need to dig out old results sheets from year 10?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4747
Original post by Basket case
Guys! Do you know if the individual grade modules will come out on the results sheet? Thanks. :smile:

Normally, you get a breakdown of the subject, module grade(s) and final grade. For example, the sheet is normally seperated into parts similar to this:

Exam code, subject, Grd 1, Grd 2, Final Grade
1MAO, Mathematics, X (ums), Y (ums), Z (total ums)

I believe all exam boards do this, or to a similar extent.

Original post by Martello736
Can anyone tell me, I did my Linear Maths in March, and got an A overall. I retook in June in the hope of getting an A* but it was abysmal and I gave up half way through and I think I probably ended up with a C/D. Will it still say on my results sheet that I got an A alongside my grade Ds or whatever?

Your results sheet will say your current grade on that exam, and your final grade (the highest). So, if you did get a C/D, or a B for that matter, you'd still have your A grade overall.

Original post by Martello736
Great thank you, was a little concerned about that! So for sixth form enrolment I don't need to dig out old results sheets from year 10?

I would find them to be honest, to stay on the safe side. They make require them for other uses which they may have. You never know. :smile:
I'm starting to have dreams about results day now. :s-smilie: Last night I dreampt that I got a D in history and science and only one A* overall (which is crazy because I have two already!), and now I'm actually genuinely worried that I failed history because neither of the exams went particularly well.I really messed up on the source one because my teacher had told us that it was very unlikely immigration would come up, so I (stupidly) didn't revise it, then it did come up after all. :frown:
Original post by suuupppp
Hey guys,

Just wondering, When sixth forms ask for a grade B in "English" Do they mean English language or Literature? Or combined?

Regards

I read on a forum somewhere that at most places they ask for English language, but it's different for different courses and different sixth forms/colleges. I'd say English meant English language, but I'm only like, 80% on that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never really liked French but would have liked to study geography and add maths. Irish isn't an option at my school but I think it would have been interesting.

Yeah French isn't really popular in many school! Hated 5th Year Geography but 4th Year was alright, Add.Maths was interesting! Irish is good but it's harder than the other languages because a lot of the vocab is completely different to English. We don't get Home Economics at my school. :/
Does anyone know if anything else comes in the envelope apart from the sheet of our subject results? Do we also get the individual grades we got for particular exams took in May/June, GCSE certificates and so on? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aasvogel
Yeah French isn't really popular in many school! Hated 5th Year Geography but 4th Year was alright, Add.Maths was interesting! Irish is good but it's harder than the other languages because a lot of the vocab is completely different to English. We don't get Home Economics at my school. :/

How did you find the geography exams because a lot of people at my school seemed to think it wasn't that hard? I would love to learn a language with a completely different vocab to English patricilarly Irish because it would be interesting to see the contrast of languages which exist in such close proximity.
Original post by zed963
Me
How did you find the exam?
How did you find the geography exams because a lot of people at my school seemed to think it wasn't that hard? I would love to learn a language with a completely different vocab to English patricilarly Irish because it would be interesting to see the contrast of languages which exist in such close proximity.

The Geography exam wasn't too bad this year. The majority of revision for it was learning 10/11 case studies and only 1 or 2 actually came up (which was bloody frustrating!). Most of it was just common knowledge and if your answer is structures right, it shouldn't be too bad. I only need 51% for an A/ 78% for an A* so I'm happy enough with it.

It's tricky but the standard in our school is very high so you're taught really well. The difference is pretty big, the sentence structures are different (Verb/ Subject/ Object not Subject/ Verb/ Object) and then there's the added bonus of learning about eclipses and aspirations...
Original post by sophie97
Okay I apologise - I am 99% sure you need physics and maths at a level to do an undergrad degree in biomedical engineering. It's engineering - the whole thing is based on the concepts of maths and physics. I have looked at many different university's entry requirements and every one of them say you need maths and physics to at the very least as level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily you, some other posts I've read. Your post just reminded me:tongue:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Not necessarily you, some other posts I've read. Your post just reminded me:tongue:

How did the 15th go for you fish =D ?
Original post by lolface32
How did the 15th go for you fish =D ?

*sigh*

Spoiler

Original post by L'Evil Fish
*sigh*

Spoiler

awww. Balls to both bro :frown:

Resits an option at all?
Original post by lolface32
awww. Balls to both bro :frown:

Resits an option at all?

Remark in history.
Resit C3:smile:

I think and hope that'll rectify it all.

Latest