The Student Room Group

Student Finance Overpayment Problem

This is my second time applying for student finance. My first time I dropped out after 1 year and was overpaid student finance by around £500. I have made no plans to repay this, and am not really in the situation to be able to pay it back before September. I have applied for student loans for this year, sent off all my evidence, and am waiting to hear back from them.
Will my overpayment situation affect my entitlement to funding this time?
Reply 1
Student finance sent out my entitlement later for this coming september (my third year) and they also are giving me a £3,000 grant I shouldn't have. I've rang up 3 times and each time they say they'll sort it but they never do :/ If they mess up, we shouldn't have to suffer for it! But maybe they'll give you slightly less money? Ring them up and ask :smile:
Original post by andy07070
This is my second time applying for student finance. My first time I dropped out after 1 year and was overpaid student finance by around £500. I have made no plans to repay this, and am not really in the situation to be able to pay it back before September. I have applied for student loans for this year, sent off all my evidence, and am waiting to hear back from them.
Will my overpayment situation affect my entitlement to funding this time?

If you have made no arrangement to pay it back it could look like arrears on their system and block future payments. However if you call the collections department and tell them you are going back into study they should be able to set up a payment plan that lines up with your instalments of grants coming in. You don't need to pay it all back before you get any future finance, making the arrangement to pay is enough.
I think they will simply take it off any award for this year.
Original post by balotelli12
I think they will simply take it off any award for this year.

Nope, if it has already gone to the collections department, it can't be converted back to an in course grant overpayment. But the collections department can set up a repayment schedule that lines up with the next year's instalments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending