The Student Room Group

Maths at Warwick or Oxford

Hi all, first post here. I got a predicted A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. I am also planning on doing 1 or 2 step modulus next year. I wish to have Oxford and Warwick as my top choices. Will they prefer physics over chemistry? Will my grades be enough to be considered? Also what more can I do to improve my chances? I would appreciate some help please. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Polkas
Hi all, first post here. I got a predicted A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. I am also planning on doing 1 or 2 step modulus next year. I wish to have Oxford and Warwick as my top choices. Will they prefer physics over chemistry? Will my grades be enough to be considered? Also what more can I do to improve my chances? I would appreciate some help please. Thank you.

- Chemistry is fine
- Grades are fine
- Do lots of preparation for the MAT and STEP. The MAT is much easier than STEP.
Original post by Polkas

They may slightly prefer physics since there is a little more maths in it, but I doubt that taking Chemistry instead would disadvantage your application (assuming Physics isn't a required subject).
You may want to consider doing Physics as well as your other three A levels - the combination of maths + further maths is sometimes considered to be only 1 A level since taking further maths makes maths really easy... It will also make A2 physics really easy since quite a lot of it is mechanics/ maths. Many students take Maths + Further Maths + Physics + Chemistry at A level and cope fine with it, I wouldn't worry too much about the workload.
As long as you have met their entrance requirements, they will consider your application. However, with *only* A*AA many applicants will have an advantage over you - it's still worth applying since with those grades you're pretty much guaranteed other offers, but be prepared to work hard for the MAT test, STEP and interviews.
What can you do to improve your chances? How about:
1. Asking your school to increase your predicted grades - depending on how close you were to achieving 90% in your ASs they may be willing to predict you another A* or two...
2. Summer schools, master classes, taster days, competitions etc. - hopefully you have been doing these over the last year, but if you need any last minute suggestions have a look at my blog: http://passionateaboutscience.blogspot.co.uk/ where I've posted several coming up soon.
3. Reading books/ doing an EPQ/ attending optional maths extension classes at school - basically anything else to show your enthusiasm for maths.
Hope this helps :smile: Good luck!
Oxford's offer for maths is now A*A*A with the A*s in maths and further maths: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/mathematics/mathematics_.html so if you can get an A* prediction in further maths I would imagine it would be helpful.

For Warwick you have to take at least one STEP paper, and you'll need either to meet the entry requirements, and an A* in further maths reduces the STEP grade you need from 1 to 2 (alternatively you can do the AEA).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Polkas

Chemistry is fine, don't do physics if you are better at chemistry, you want the best grade possible.
Physics A-level hasn't really got maths past GCSE level or c1 at that to make it any-more preferable, since you learn the mechanics in m1-m4(m5). But if you plan to take physics modules at Oxford, physics will be useful for prior knowledge on topics.

MAT is probably easier than STEP. But with the MAT you don't really have much time to prepare, were as with STEP you have nearly a whole year and a wider range of topics to choose from, also if you are planning Warwick, its worth looking at AEA which is what I did. Without much revision I still met the offer for Warwick. You will need to do well at the MAT to get an interview, the interview is quite difficult as well. So the easier option in terms of getting an offer may be Warwick. But the easier offer to meet is probably Oxford if you get it.
Reply 5
MAT is easier than STEP, it's just much more difficult to actually prepare for. If you're a good mathematician the MAT is quite straightforward as it essentially plays upon the 'underlying mathematical messages' of C1 and C2. However, I've always thought unless you find the MAT straight-forward from the get-go (or, after doing a selection of past papers) you may be better off doing STEP as it is actually something you can prepare for and do well in just on the back of the preparation.
oxford, warwick is a boring dive with nothing to do as an area
Reply 7
Original post by dragonkeeper999
They may slightly prefer physics since there is a little more maths in it, but I doubt that taking Chemistry instead would disadvantage your application (assuming Physics isn't a required subject).
You may want to consider doing Physics as well as your other three A levels - the combination of maths + further maths is sometimes considered to be only 1 A level since taking further maths makes maths really easy... It will also make A2 physics really easy since quite a lot of it is mechanics/ maths. Many students take Maths + Further Maths + Physics + Chemistry at A level and cope fine with it, I wouldn't worry too much about the workload.
As long as you have met their entrance requirements, they will consider your application. However, with *only* A*AA many applicants will have an advantage over you - it's still worth applying since with those grades you're pretty much guaranteed other offers, but be prepared to work hard for the MAT test, STEP and interviews.
What can you do to improve your chances? How about:
1. Asking your school to increase your predicted grades - depending on how close you were to achieving 90% in your ASs they may be willing to predict you another A* or two...
2. Summer schools, master classes, taster days, competitions etc. - hopefully you have been doing these over the last year, but if you need any last minute suggestions have a look at my blog: http://passionateaboutscience.blogspot.co.uk/ where I've posted several coming up soon.
3. Reading books/ doing an EPQ/ attending optional maths extension classes at school - basically anything else to show your enthusiasm for maths.
Hope this helps :smile: Good luck!

The bolded will be untrue for (I'm pretty sure) every university OP is applying for given he's applying for maths. Most (if not all Universities) want to see Maths/Further Maths/Third A-Level and that's about it. Far better he/she take three A2s and spend the extra free time doing MAT and STEP practice.
Reply 8
I dont think it will matter if you take physics or chemistry, both are very highly regarded subjects, and yes physics is closer to maths but you'll have maths and f. maths anyway. However, you should be aware that for maths at Oxford the standard offer is 2A*s, in maths and further maths if taken.
Reply 9
Warwick, at least, places precisely zero weight on what your third A-level is (providing it's not on their fairly short list of ones they don't accept, like general studies). They will give you the same offer as everybody else if you're even vaguely a viable candidate (which you very much are), which is (unless something changes) either A*A*A with a 2 in any STEP paper (with the A*s in maths/further maths) or A*AA with a 1 in step (with the A* in maths, A in further maths).
Reply 10
Thank you for all the replies, they have been very helpful. My other worry is what I should do and put in my personal statement if I want to apply to these Universities. I am already self teaching myself in C4 and M2. I have also started reading books such as 'Makes of Mathematics' and 'The man who knew infinity'. What more can I do to put in my personal statment? Any replies will be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 11
Warwick doesn't care too much, so write your personal statement for Oxford.
Reply 12
Original post by BlueSam3
Warwick doesn't care too much, so write your personal statement for Oxford.

Oxford barely care at all either because they interview and have the MAT, so it doesn't really matter.
Original post by Polkas
Thank you for all the replies, they have been very helpful. My other worry is what I should do and put in my personal statement if I want to apply to these Universities. I am already self teaching myself in C4 and M2. I have also started reading books such as 'Makes of Mathematics' and 'The man who knew infinity'. What more can I do to put in my personal statment? Any replies will be much appreciated :smile:

In a personal statement it is important to emphasise why you personally enjoy the subject. If you've read books speak specifically about a chapter, example or theme you enjoyed as it is likely others will have read the same thing so it's important to bring something new to the table. They allow the university to figure out who you are as a person so it's important it shows your enthusiasm, passion and commitment to doing a maths degree.

Think about what inspired you to choose maths, why you like it and what aspects do you personally enjoy an find appealing.
Reply 14
Original post by Polkas

When I went to Oxford for an open day they told us to write the ps for your second choice, because they barely glance at it.
General rule is anywhere that interviews or requires STEP will likely not read or at least not care very much about your PS
Reply 16
Original post by Hedgeman49
General rule is anywhere that interviews or requires STEP will likely not read or at least not care very much about your PS

I wouldn't agree with that - Cambridge cares about personal statements and they certainly interview and require step.
Reply 17
Original post by ttoby
I wouldn't agree with that - Cambridge cares about personal statements and they certainly interview and require step.

At least for maths, Imperial, Cambridge and Oxford don't care about the PS, unless you have done something spectacular (like a good BMO performance). Don't know about Warwick but given the standard offer, why would they care either?
Reply 18
Original post by shamika
At least for maths, Imperial, Cambridge and Oxford don't care about the PS, unless you have done something spectacular (like a good BMO performance). Don't know about Warwick but given the standard offer, why would they care either?

Cambridge certainly care about the personal statement although of course they would be mostly interested in the stuff that relates to maths. It wouldn't have to be spectacular - things such as a bronze maths challenge performance or mentioning a book you read are useful to them.

For Warwick, yes, they would probably not pay as much attention given their standard offer. I don't know as much about Oxford and Imperial but it's likely that they would be interested in the personal statement.
Reply 19
Original post by ttoby
Cambridge certainly care about the personal statement although of course they would be mostly interested in the stuff that relates to maths. It wouldn't have to be spectacular - things such as a bronze maths challenge performance or mentioning a book you read are useful to them.

For Warwick, yes, they would probably not pay as much attention given their standard offer. I don't know as much about Oxford and Imperial but it's likely that they would be interested in the personal statement.

They don't even bother reading the personal statements for maths at Oxford for reasons other than initiating a conversation in the interview, according to one of my tutors.

Quick Reply

Latest