The Student Room Group

AQA GCE English UNIT LITB3 - Unexpectedly low results

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sidmanny
Does anyone have any success stories from remarks going up a lot in AQA English? Mine would have to go up by 25 ums to make a difference to my grade, and I can't imagine them admitting they marked an A grade paper wrongly as a C.

I had a friend last year who got a C in the exam, she's going to Cambridge and is an A* student, a remark didn't improve her grade at all. I can't work out if it's worth £50 quid or not :/

Had two friends last year who both got Ds in LITB3, both A* grade students and both got remarks. One went from a D to an A, the other went from D up to A* which is a crazy number of marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty much my whole English class is going in for priority remark. At least 6 A* students in my class received E's and U's, it doesn't make sense.
Reply 22
Does anyone know what 9ums is in raw marks? Im going to send mine off for a remark hoping it comes back within a week - not sure what the difference is with the priority remark as my school didnt mention it...
Original post by SagarG
Does anyone know what 9ums is in raw marks? Im going to send mine off for a remark hoping it comes back within a week - not sure what the difference is with the priority remark as my school didnt mention it...

9 UMS = 2.5 raw marks. Hope everything goes well for you:smile:
Original post by SagarG
priority remarks are for people whose university place depends upon getting a better grade through the remark
Reply 25
This is definitely the impression I've got from chatting to friends (we did AQA LITA3 though) but the marking seems strangely harsh. I got a C in the exam, and everyone I've spoken to who're also A and A* students got Ds and Es in this exam which is really unexpected. Thankfully my other modules meant I still got an A overall so it didn't impact my uni place, but I'm considering a remark seeing as my other modules point towards an A*. If anyone gets a remark for this exam and their grade vastly improves I'd be really interested to know :smile:
Reply 26
Does anyone have any success stories from remarks going up a lot in AQA English? Mine would have to go up by 25 ums to make a difference to my grade, and I can't imagine them admitting they marked an A grade paper wrongly as a C.

I had a friend last year who got a C in the exam, she's going to Cambridge and is an A* student, a remark didn't improve her grade at all. I can't work out if it's worth £50 quid or not :/

Funnily enough that happened at my college one student had her aspects of narrative paper go from a C to an A.
Reply 27
I got a B overall because of what seems to be shoddy AQA marking, luckily UCL still took me but I got a solid A in AS and an A in the A2 c/w yet got 74/120 (C) in LITA3, and this was one of the highest in my year! :/
Original post by Unsworth
Get it remarked.

I'm in the same position - got full ums last year in English lit, 93% coursework, full marks in LITB3 mock and straight As all year in class for it, did the exam and felt it went perfectly, got my result and it's a low D! Luckily I have still got an A overall for it, but I was expecting an A/A* for this exam and this D has hit me hard. Last year my school had problems with the marking for LITB3 and it has had small ones this year too.

This happened to me in January and I was gutted, really expected an A/A* in the exam as I had full UMS from AS with a high A in coursework and full UMS for A2 coursework and got a D, with an A overall.

I would get it priority remarked if you're going to uni this year but if not, get your script back and have a teacher check it to not waste your money. Mine said my paper wouldn't be worth remarking as despite one section being marked arguably two grades too harshly (in her opinion), it wouldn't go up to an A - which is what I wanted for an overall A*. I ended up realising that I didn't really answer the question enough (rookie mistake that I didn't think I'd make haha) and so even though I left the exam thinking I'd aced it, despite writing a good essay, I deviated off topic often as I overcomplicated it. I was very obvious and sometimes probably too simple with my points in my June retake but ended up with 107 UMS so an A* overall :smile:

Sorry for the long story haha, good luck!
Reply 29
My teachers have advised me against getting a remark because it's so unlikely it will go up by 25ums to an A grade, (A* overall) which I guess is fair enough. They've said they'll go through it if I get the script back.

If I get a copy of the exam paper, and they decide it was marked unfairly, does anyone know if I can then request a remark?
Reply 30
I'm in the same boat. I was getting A's and A*s in my practice essays before the exam and was really hoping to get a good grade on this to boost my overall grade from B to A. But I got an E! Whereas other people in my class who barely revised and were not doing so well managed to get A's and B's. luckily I was still accepted by my firm but I worked really hard for this exam and I couldn't help but feel a little down about it despite the good news of my acceptance. I'm gonna ask for my paper back and if it my teachers and I think I deserved better then I will ask for a remark. Is this the best approach or should I just go straight for a remark? (Sorry about the ranting lol)
This worries me for next year as I'll be doing this exam! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Lucy96
This worries me for next year as I'll be doing this exam! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what advice to give :frown: I felt so prepared for this exam, knew loads of quotes, threw in a few critics, felt like I stayed focused on the questions. I swear the more I prepare for an exam, the worse it goes. I hardly revised for aspects of narrative last year and got 118/120.

When my paper comes back and I get some feedback, I'll give you some advice!
I don't know what advice to give :frown: I felt so prepared for this exam, knew loads of quotes, threw in a few critics, felt like I stayed focused on the questions. I swear the more I prepare for an exam, the worse it goes. I hardly revised for aspects of narrative last year and got 118/120.

When my paper comes back and I get some feedback, I'll give you some advice!

That's absolutely terrible! How unfair :frown: There always seems to be SO many injustices with this exam board and specification! It seems to be the same with the aspects of narrative paper this year. I somehow scraped an overall A for this subject, but other people have been getting Ds, despite the fact they worked so hard. It just doesn't make any sense! But congratulations for last years result, absolutely amazing :smile:

I hope it's not ruined your chances of getting a place at university? Best of luck, I really hope it works out for you. Thank you a lot! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jack C
Hi, I received my results this morning, getting into Birmingham to study English & Philosophy with ABC, despite my offer being AAB.

My overall grade for English Lit was an A, however in the final exam (LITB3) I got a UMS of 63 and a D grade. This shocked me a little having got an A in the exam last year and both AS and A2 coursework. I felt the exam went well and in a similar question I'd completed as revision my teacher marked it as an A.

Perhaps I just had an off day but is it possible that the exam board undermarked my paper so badly?

This is what happened to me in the exact same subject - I got an A last year in my AS levels and I did well in my coursework yet I only got a D in the exam... I thought the exam went well and I had never achieved anything like a D in practice papers. I feel annoyed because it meant I only achieved a B in my A level when I was on track for an A - I definitely feel like my paper was undermarked too.
No one in my English class got higher than a C in the exam - even those who were predicted A*s.
Reply 35
I also realised that my cw was also downgraded from an A to a B, I don't know why but the cw at my centre was downgraded. It seems like everything that could've gone wrong for me went wrong.
So bummed about this exam. Just wondering, is it better to get it remarked or call back the script and have a teacher remark it. My teacher at sixth form was a bit of a harsh marker and so im scared it could go either way.
Reply 37
Original post by Lucy96
That's absolutely terrible! How unfair :frown: There always seems to be SO many injustices with this exam board and specification! It seems to be the same with the aspects of narrative paper this year. I somehow scraped an overall A for this subject, but other people have been getting Ds, despite the fact they worked so hard. It just doesn't make any sense! But congratulations for last years result, absolutely amazing :smile:

I hope it's not ruined your chances of getting a place at university? Best of luck, I really hope it works out for you. Thank you a lot! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I'm not going to uni this year, taking a gap year and reapplying for medicine, so luckily it didn't really muck things up for me. I feel awful for people who missed their offers though. Best of luck to you too, I'm sure you'll be fine next year! Don't let this scare you :smile: English was still fab, I loved doing the gothic genre.

I'm really dreading to see what I wrote in my exam now! Might be a load of rubbish :s-smilie:
Reply 38
How far is 82/120 off a B? Because I got a B in first year, 60/80 which was meant to be an A then boundaries moved so it's now a B in coursework and randomly got a C in the exam. Bear in mind that I also got an A* in my mock 112/120, therefore meaning I lost 20 marks in the real exam. As well as this, with my coursework mark, I would have got an A overall if I had repeated exactly my performance in the mock, which I was guaranteed to do, seeing as I was constantly getting As all year.
Reply 39
Our sixth form sat this exam in January and had exactly the same problem with only 7 out of 150 entrants getting an A (of which I was luckily one). The marking for this paper seems unusually erratic because people with, A*/A predictions, full UMS at AS and even the only student with a Cambridge offer ended up with D's and E's. Sadly, even though a huge number of people applied for remarks very little changed (e.g. from an E to a C) and so they ended up resitting in June where thankfully they seem to have done better on the whole.

Best of luck to you all and I hope that remarking doesn't end up as pointless as it was for our sixth form!

Quick Reply

Latest