The Student Room Group

I got A*AA in my A levels, what do you think?

I know that it is technically good, but in comparison to everyone else, it feels very very average. At my school, most people got the same as me or better. So many people on here boast of A*A*A* or better and full UMS. And after reading the Daily Mail articles, it seems what I got was pretty much the minimum. :frown:

I was pretty pleased when I got my results, but after comparing them to others, I feel pretty down about it. Especially as I narrowly missed another A*. I really wanted my results to be impressive, but they're so average. Everyone tells me I did really well, but compared to here and on news sites and just most people in general, I don't feel like I did.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Compared to people who were specifically picked put for the rarity of their very high results you didn't do as well. This isn't too surprising, they're picked due to their exceptional ability.

You did well, if you feel it wasn't a true reflection of your ability then just work harder at uni to get all the glittering prizes there.
If your trolling go get bent.

If your genuinely disappointing then you did better than me so chin up haha.
Reply 3
I think you're fishing for compliments, your results are a lot better than what some people get so be happy with what you have
Reply 4
it's better than most, but you clearly know that and are just looking for attention
oh my god this is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read. perhaps try going to a state school and you'll find your grades are very much not average
I think you're a troll.
This feels rather pertinent;

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

- Ayn Rand
Reply 8
Reply 9
Why are there so many people on TSR like this these days..... :frown:
I dread to think what's going to happen next week with the GCSE results.
As long as grades don't hinder you to do what you want, they don't play a role in life. You should not loose your self-confidence because you ought to live in an environment, where this is normal. Would you have been at another school, you would probably feel like the king of the world.
Reply 11
I think that you've done exceptionally well and if that's not great at your school then you'll get a shock when you get into the real world.

I hope you're proud of your results because you've done tons better than most people and way beyond 'average'. So be darn grateful for the opportunities you've clearly had.

Also..you seem rather gullible if you watch the news and suddenly think your results are 'average'. Not for most people in state schools they're not.
Reply 12
Original post by butterbeer7
I know that it is technically good, but in comparison to everyone else, it feels very very average. At my school, most people got the same as me or better. So many people on here boast of A*A*A* or better and full UMS. And after reading the Daily Mail articles, it seems what I got was pretty much the minimum. :frown:

I was pretty pleased when I got my results, but after comparing them to others, I feel pretty down about it. Especially as I narrowly missed another A*. I really wanted my results to be impressive, but they're so average. Everyone tells me I did really well, but compared to here and on news sites and just most people in general, I don't feel like I did.

What do you think?

I think anyone with at least 1 A* shows they worked hard to achieve them. And your results are great and you should be joyous if you know you worked extremely hard to get them. It's not about what others get, but what you have achieved due to the hardwork you put in. I achieved AAA and I have to be honest, I was predicted atleast 2A* before but I was also struggling at the time to maintain my A standard. But I know I worked hard and achieved AAA, which may seem very minimal and basic but I felt so proud and happy for myself.

You results are impressive. Well done :smile:
Why does OP have to be a troll or fishing for compliments? Everyone has their own idea of good and if, say, OP was expecting A*A*A* then A*AA would be a disappointment, especially with one of them being close to an A*. I understand OP... in a similar situation to you, just got the minimum to meet my firm, literally 2 UMS off A* in F.Maths, and 70% of people have 2 or more A*s at my uni - so I'll be the 30% which doesn't :rolleyes: There's nothing you can really do about it now though, if you're going to uni just try to do the best you can. (Besides, A*AA isn't actually bad)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by butterbeer7

What do you think?

Considering what you're asking and how ignorant you make yourself presented, I find it difficult to see how you achieved AAA*
in my college everyone was over the moon with ABB, BBB :wink:
I can understand being annoyed that you narrowly missed an A* but in absolute terms your grades are outstanding. So if you are fishing for compliments then you have one, if not then chin up.
Reply 17
Original post by Lunch_Box

Hahahahahahah well said

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Muppet Science
I can understand being annoyed that you narrowly missed an A* but in absolute terms your grades are outstanding. So if you are fishing for compliments then you have one, if not then chin up.

What would he be doing BESIDES fishing for compliments? :smile:
Original post by tohaaaa
What would he be doing BESIDES fishing for compliments? :smile:

No idea, just accommodating the possibility.

Latest