The Student Room Group

Will my GCSEs affect where I can apply to?

At gcse I got 9A's 2B's and a C . And at AS I got ABBBB, I want to apply to some of the top UNIs but I don't know if my GCSEs are good enough, I know there good and I'm extremely proud of them but will they help me compete to get on AAA/AAB courses or will they hinder me?
Original post by NaomiMG
At gcse I got 9A's 2B's and a C . And at AS I got ABBBB, I want to apply to some of the top UNIs but I don't know if my GCSEs are good enough, I know there good and I'm extremely proud of them but will they help me compete to get on AAA/AAB courses or will they hinder me?

Some people will tell you it matters, teachers used to tell me it mattered but it really doesn't. You got good GCSE's which is all you need, you don't need to get 15 a*'s before top uni's will consider you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarryJames
Some people will tell you it matters, teachers used to tell me it mattered but it really doesn't. You got good GCSE's which is all you need, you don't need to get 15 a*'s before top uni's will consider you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers :smile: I was looking at posts about others who were applying for similar Unis and they had mostly A* - but I hope I can make up for it I'm predicted AAA and people have said I have a really interesting personal statement so hopefully it'll be ok :/
Original post by NaomiMG
Cheers :smile: I was looking at posts about others who were applying for similar Unis and they had mostly A* - but I hope I can make up for it I'm predicted AAA and people have said I have a really interesting personal statement so hopefully it'll be ok :/

AAA as grades alone will be enough to get you on to almost any course providing you're doing the subjects that you need. The real challenge will be in standing out from others who are applying for the same things with the same grades. If you want to do history at Oxford obviously everyone else applying will be aiming for at least AAA so you have to stand out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarryJames
AAA as grades alone will be enough to get you on to almost any course providing you're doing the subjects that you need. The real challenge will be in standing out from others who are applying for the same things with the same grades. If you want to do history at Oxford obviously everyone else applying will be aiming for at least AAA so you have to stand out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe not Oxford but I'm thinking Durham, Warwick , ST.Andrews and Exeter. I'm hoping I should stand out, I've done 2 weeks work experience in a school, 2 weeks in a museum, 6 months in a library, did a Latin course outside of college, did 3 weeks voulunteering in Africa, did a one week archaeological dig, am a holocaust ambassador- after visiting aushcwitz and have extensive reading. I also am secretary at amnesty international at my college and help run and organise it. I'm just worried that my GCSEs will make me seem average among others who are applying.
Original post by NaomiMG
Maybe not Oxford but I'm thinking Durham, Warwick , ST.Andrews and Exeter. I'm hoping I should stand out, I've done 2 weeks work experience in a school, 2 weeks in a museum, 6 months in a library, did a Latin course outside of college, did 3 weeks voulunteering in Africa, did a one week archaeological dig, am a holocaust ambassador- after visiting aushcwitz and have extensive reading. I also am secretary at amnesty international at my college and help run and organise it. I'm just worried that my GCSEs will make me seem average among others who are applying.

I was just using Oxford as an example. From what I know universities love all that sort of stuff, it shows you have an interest in things and you don't just study because you have to. Make sure you don't make yourself sound completely academic though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest