The Student Room Group

Urgent help

Hallo i am an a level student and i need urgent help hear. My problem is like i am being put in a prison cell. I have been doing a level for two year now. I have sat the AS Level Physics unit1 4 times now and i have been failing. I have worked incredibly hard up to the up most to get the best grade i can in the exam and i am still ending up with a grade e. I don't now what to do and i am starting to feel really discouraged.

Can any one please give me any advice on this as this has caused me a big problems.

Edexcel is my examination board btw.
(edited 10 years ago)
I admire your persistence, your persistence shows me this is really important to you. I would recommend taking it again and maybe get a tutor. Is there any textbooks you can buy too?
I have already considered everything.

I got a tutor.

I have have a text book which i have been using all the time. So far four times now.

I don't now what is happening. This is unbelievable. All my friend have passed this unit since the first time they took it. And i am the only one being discriminated form them or something.
Reply 3
Is the course right for you? For example, I did a year of AS Levels and did terribly, swapped onto a BTEC and now I'm going to University! It's not that I didn't try with my AS Levels, I stress and panic with exams and I struggled to really understand how much time I should be putting into the course. With BTEC, I had no panic with exams and was set coursework, so I knew how much I needed to do!
yes it is right for me.
does any one has any thing to say please
Reply 6
Which board are you on?
Try a different method of revising?
I failed my AS modules in my AS year because i was trying to memories everything & then reapply it...but physics is one of those things where that'll never work for you. It takes time but practice the technique - don't be rigid in your thinking (like i was). Even now, going uni to do physics i still worry i'm a bit rigid in my thinking, however i realize it takes time. Physics is definitely not an easier subject to be doing but you don't have to be applying to Imperial to regard yourself as a good physicist. :smile:

Had U's in my AS yr & got them up to A's at the beginning of this year. It Is possible with a lot of hard work!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Dingo749
Which board are you on?

edexcel
Original post by andromeda24
Try a different method of revising?
I failed my AS modules in my AS year because i was trying to memories everything & then reapply it...but physics is one of those things where that'll never work for you. It takes time but practice the technique - don't be rigid in your thinking (like i was). Even now, going uni to do physics i still worry i'm a bit rigid in my thinking, however i realize it takes time. Physics is definitely not an easier subject to be doing but you don't have to be applying to Imperial to regard yourself as a good physicist. :smile:

Had U's in my AS yr & got them up to A's at the beginning of this year. It Is possible with a lot of hard work!

Good luck :smile:

what can i do then. i want to pass it with an A. Can you please give me an advice. like tell me how did you use to revise. Revision methods.

I use the understand the theory and make alot of applications. But i failed.
I reckon you just aren't being taught right. I know that physics can be made understandable and all that remains is learning how to approach the problems. Get a 1-on-1 tutor maybe, and definitely practice past papers if you aren't already doing it..
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I reckon you just aren't being taught right. I know that physics can be made understandable and all that remains is learning how to approach the problems. Get a 1-on-1 tutor maybe, and definitely practice past papers if you aren't already doing it..

I have done this millions of times. and it seem to get every thing.
Reply 12
Perhaps you could get your papers back to see where you've gone wrong in the exam?
Original post by alevel student
what can i do then. i want to pass it with an A. Can you please give me an advice. like tell me how did you use to revise. Revision methods.

I use the understand the theory and make alot of applications. But i failed.

Practice past papers. If you've done them enough times so that you remember the answers, then leave those papers alone for a few days/weeks until the answer is forgotten.

Move on to trying past papers from different exam boards. The questions will be worded differently but the way in which you answer questions is pretty much the same.

If you've tried all other exam board papers, google practice questions online and try do those. Look in lots of different physics text books & try those questions.

The more practice you do can do, the better. I'm not saying it did every single one of these things but i did try to whenever i could :smile:

Also, try youtubing a-level physics revision. There's this guy on there called DrAPhysics or something, and his videos are really good & Helped me al ot when i couldn't understand things. It's always good to see different methods/ways things are taught compared to just sticking by the method your physics teachers tells you in school.

Finally for definitions of things e.g Potential, Emf ect use flashcards. These help me a lot. Write on one side "definition for ___" and on the other side write the definition. Practice & test yourself with these a few times each day & they'll stick in your head. When you wake up, before you go to sleep, when you're in the bath ect ect.
Sitting down & re-writing these definitions is so tedious and after 1 or 2 of them i tend to shut off & forget the rest.

Hope this helps. Sorry if you've already tried these things, but this is what i tried.
Reply 14
edexcel

Try a different board??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try a different board??

Posted from TSR Mobile

no i dont want too. edexcel is the nored my school folows.
Reply 16
no i dont want too. edexcel is the nored my school folows.

But it could help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But it could help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really dont think it matters

Quick Reply

Latest