The Student Room Group

No scottish funded spaces left in clearing - Can I pay?

As title, I want to apply for Anatomy at Glasgow university via clearing, but the only spaces left in clearing are for EU students, out with scotland.

I think this is because there are only a limited number of funded spaces available.

What I want to know, if anyone can help me -Because I live in scotland, If I payed my fees myself, would that change things, as I'm not then taking up an undergraduate "funded" space?

I'm gutted!
Original post by Emzizozo
As title, I want to apply for Anatomy at Glasgow university via clearing, but the only spaces left in clearing are for EU students, out with scotland.

I think this is because there are only a limited number of funded spaces available.

What I want to know, if anyone can help me -Because I live in scotland, If I payed my fees myself, would that change things, as I'm not then taking up an undergraduate "funded" space?

I'm gutted!

I don't know the answer to this question (I'm betting the answer would be no, though) but it's a desperate measure to spend £0000s for something that you would get free by waiting a year.
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I don't know the answer to this question (I'm betting the answer would be no, though) but it's a desperate measure to spend £0000s for something that you would get free by waiting a year.

Sorry I should be more clear - The idea is to compete this degree, with a view to doing Medicine postgrad.

Either way I will have to pay for one or the other, just wondered if paying for this degree would mean I wasn't taking up a funded space.
Sorry I should be more clear - The idea is to compete this degree, with a view to doing Medicine postgrad.

Either way I will have to pay for one or the other, just wondered if paying for this degree would mean I wasn't taking up a funded space.

I still think the answer will be no, since the international pool is completely separate from the home and EU one, and let's be frank, if there was a loophole like this, there would be a lot of people doing it. Your clarification makes your desperate hurry make even less sense to me, since you would be paying for two degrees instead of (potentially) just one.
Reply 4
I still think the answer will be no, since the international pool is completely separate from the home and EU one, and let's be frank, if there was a loophole like this, there would be a lot of people doing it. Your clarification makes your desperate hurry make even less sense to me, since you would be paying for two degrees instead of (potentially) just one.

Ok thanks - thats what I was wondering, wasn't sure if it was a separate pool/admissions process.
If I paid for my first degree, according to SAAS I am still entitled to have a degree paid for me. So if I did apply for medicine and get in, having paid for my first degree, this would then be paid for me.
Ok thanks - thats what I was wondering, wasn't sure if it was a separate pool/admissions process.
If I paid for my first degree, according to SAAS I am still entitled to have a degree paid for me. So if I did apply for medicine and get in, having paid for my first degree, this would then be paid for me.

This is getting pretty technical and not being Scottish, I'm not sure what SOAS' rules are. Student finance in England will only give a loan for your first degree, but I don't know how Scotland views things. My gut feeling is, if it would be to your advantage, you won't get it, but that's with my cynical hat on!
Reply 6
This is getting pretty technical and not being Scottish, I'm not sure what SOAS' rules are. Student finance in England will only give a loan for your first degree, but I don't know how Scotland views things. My gut feeling is, if it would be to your advantage, you won't get it, but that's with my cynical hat on!

Thanks for your help though - I'm just going to call tomorrow and see what they say. If not l, at least I tried!

SAAS lady told me it doesn't have to be first degree, as long as you've not had one paid for you before. I hope she was right!
Thanks for your help though - I'm just going to call tomorrow and see what they say. If not l, at least I tried!

SAAS lady told me it doesn't have to be first degree, as long as you've not had one paid for you before. I hope she was right!

I'm sure she knows more about it than me.
Reply 8
They've been known to be wrong in the past!
They've been known to be wrong in the past!

Oh, I'm quite sure they have. We're all only human, though.:frown:
Reply 10
Oh, I'm quite sure they have. We're all only human, though.:frown:

Ah I know :smile:

SAAS in scotland are renowned for messing up continually lol!

I think you are muddling up two different things.

In England, if you have a degree, you have to pay higher fees called ELQ fees and you do not get Student Finance regardless of who funded the degree. In Scotland, that does not apply. There are no ELQ fees and Student Finance will pay for one degree for everyone. So, if you are a Scot and do your undergrad at Harvard, Student Finance will pay for a second degree in Scotland.

However, what you are asking is if Scots can pay for a course in Scotland. I think the answer is "yes" but all Scots pay the lower "home" students rate regardless of who funds. Therefore there is a strict cap on numbers regardless of who pays.

To get "back door" admission, you are going to have to qualify to pay the higher fees for English, NI or international students. That means claiming, perhaps via a holiday home or divorced parent's address, that you are resident outwith Scotland. But if you do that, you will lose the chance to have one course paid for by Student Finance Scotland. In other words you can't be Scottish when it is convenient and not Scottish when that is convenient.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius

In England, if you have a degree, you have to pay higher fees called ELQ fees and you do not get Student Finance regardless of who funded the degree. In Scotland, that does not apply. There are no ELQ fees and Student Finance will pay for one degree for everyone. So, if you are a Scot and do your undergrad at Harvard, Student Finance will pay for a second degree in Scotland.

However, what you are asking is if Scots can pay for a course in Scotland. I think the answer is "yes" but all Scots pay the lower "home" students rate regardless of who funds. Therefore there is a strict cap on numbers regardless of who pays.

To get "back door" admission, you are going to have to qualify to pay the higher fees for English, NI or international students. That means claiming, perhaps via a holiday home or divorced parent's address, that you are resident outwith Scotland. But if you do that, you will lose the chance to have one course paid for by Student Finance Scotland. In other words you can't be Scottish when it is convenient and not Scottish when that is convenient.

I knew it wasn't going to work somehow!
Reply 13
Original post by nulli tertius

Thanks, this is what I was wondering.

I wasn't suggesting, nor did it cross my mind to say I lived out with Scotland - I was thinking more a long the lines of just paying even though I live here so I'm not taking a "funded" space - but I understand thats not how it works.

It was not a matter of "not being scottish" for convenience. :nah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending