The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Postgraduates

Just wondered how many postgraduate students (MSc/PhD/ - or similar) are on these forums? Any other postgraduates living in halls on campus?

-Al.
Reply 1
Hello!

I'll be living in halls! Will be studying MSc in Energy - what are you doing? Do you know where you will be staying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 2
Cool stuff, I'm doing a PhD, what halls are you in? Where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'll be in Yarrow. I'm from Aberdeen so relatively local! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ah, nice! I'm from Glasgow, so even more local! I'm in Lord Thomson Hall. You planning on heading out during freshers? Where was your undergrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I possibly might! I haven't really made much plans but would be good to meet people!

I studied at RGU, just completed a course in mechanical engineering. Will you be out and about during freshers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah I wanna go to stuff during freshers! I hope I meet people! Feel free to give me a shout if you see something you'd like to go to :smile:

Oh cool, did you stay at home for your undergrad then seeing as it was in Aberdeen too?

-Al.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
One year in to my PhD, not living in halls though. What's your PhD in?
Reply 8
Ah cool, where do you stay? Are you from Edinburgh? My project hasn't been finalised yet, I'll spend time on that when I start!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Arctic-Lights
Ah cool, where do you stay? Are you from Edinburgh? My project hasn't been finalised yet, I'll spend time on that when I start!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In bruntsfield, pretty neat as you can get both 45 and 34 while avoiding all the centre of town traffic. Yeah PhDs tend to take a while to define - I only "finalised" my objectives and research gap a couple of weeks ago, took me about 11 months, hehe. What will your degree be in though, i.e. what subject area?
Reply 10
Ah cool, you always stayed in Edinburgh then?

Yeah, we'll I've got it all ahead of me... I'm in SBE, so it's civil engineering based :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Ah cool, you always stayed in Edinburgh then?

Yeah, we'll I've got it all ahead of me... I'm in SBE, so it's civil engineering based :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I actually did my undergraduate studies at HW as well, so in a month's time I will have spent five full years out here. I lived in Edinburgh for two years prior to starting my studies, but am originally from Sweden. I still stayed on campus for my first year, but being a couple of years older than the average student made this frustrating at times :P This may well be different when you're a PG though, as I believe you'll be housed in separate halls with other PG/mature students. :smile:

Ahh okay, other side of campus to me, then! Are you going to the PG cheese & wine event during Freshers? If so, I may just see you there.
Reply 12
Sweden! Awesome :smile: I've always wanted to go there, I like the Scandinavian countries :smile:

Yeah I did my Masters at HW too, so I wasn't there for as long as you. I've got a bit of a flavour of what the uni is like, but I'm hoping to go to freshers stuff to meet new people as I don't really know anyone there just now.

I probably will be at the cheese and wine, how will I know you're you? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hey guys, I'm going to be a postgrad at HW this year too, so might meet some of you during freshers week etc. I'm from the Borders but been in Edinburgh/Glasgow over the last few years. Going to be doing an MSc in Petroleum Engineering at HW, and (I think) staying in Leonard Horner halls.
Hi all, I'm going to be starting a PhD in Psychology at Heriot-Watt. I live in Glasgow and am going to be travelling through to uni, but just wondered where you all got information on Freshers events etc? I've received nothing from the uni except a registration email saying 'you may have already received a welcome pack', which I haven't received! Is that where you got info on what's on? Anyway, looking forward to getting started and to meeting other students :smile:
Reply 15
Hey Chickpea, I've sent you a private message re PhD stuff and Freshers Week events, it got pretty long to leave in the main forum!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Chickpea, I've sent you a private message re PhD stuff and Freshers Week events, it got pretty long to leave in the main forum!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got it, thanks :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by sedghill
Hello!

I'll be living in halls! Will be studying MSc in Energy - what are you doing? Do you know where you will be staying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Sedghill , when are your starting the MSc in Energy? I have an offer for the same course starting in Sept 2014
HoweveI havent decided where to go , Nottingam or Heriot Watt.
Im interational . Are u scotish?

Quick Reply

Latest