The Student Room Group

Want to do history... but its my lowest grade

In my as results I got AABC, and history was the c. I want to do it at Uni but now it looks as though I should drop it, as I was going to apply for Warwick and Kent. My As were in English lit and RS.. should I drop history and work hard to make them all As at A2 and apply for English? I love all my subjects and I hate making mistakes. If I carried history through I might only bump it up to a B, giving me AAB. This is confused me so much, I dont know what I want to do now as I feel incapable of a top grade in history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
It's perfectly possible to carry on with history and increase the mark! I got ABBD at AS and dropped a B subject because I preferred the D subject and then resat one exam which pulled my overall AS grade up to an A! Also my friend loves history and got a C in her AS results the same as you but she carried it on and has now got a place doing medieval history at Queen Mary's! All is not lost - do what you enjoy! :smile:
Reply 2
Although I can't help much I'm in a similar situation as you - my AS results were ABC with the C in English Lit, the subject I want to study at university.
I've chosen to resit the June exam that pulled me down from a high B next year and in the mean time am asking for my English teacher to put a higher predicted grade, and get the paper back so I can see for improvements.
I say if you really are passionate about History (like I am with English) and couldn't really see yourself studying anything else at university then carry it on, and maybe retake if you need to. Don't let an AS grade out you off a subject you really enjoy - your other grades show that you really are more than capable to get into a university such as Warwick!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZoeToone95
It's perfectly possible to carry on with history and increase the mark! I got ABBD at AS and dropped a B subject because I preferred the D subject and then resat one exam which pulled my overall AS grade up to an A! Also my friend loves history and got a C in her AS results the same as you but she carried it on and has now got a place doing medieval history at Queen Mary's! All is not lost - do what you enjoy! :smile:

Ah thats made me feel a lot better, I think I'd regret dropping history, I just dont want to make any mistakes! Was it hard work turning the D into an A? I got two Cs in my history modules so Im wondering whether to retake both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DaisyKate
Although I can't help much I'm in a similar situation as you - my AS results were ABC with the C in English Lit, the subject I want to study at university.
I've chosen to resit the June exam that pulled me down from a high B next year and in the mean time am asking for my English teacher to put a higher predicted grade, and get the paper back so I can see for improvements.
I say if you really are passionate about History (like I am with English) and couldn't really see yourself studying anything else at university then carry it on, and maybe retake if you need to. Don't let an AS grade out you off a subject you really enjoy - your other grades show that you really are more than capable to get into a university such as Warwick!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats basically my situation, I think im going to have to drop Classics which I got a B in and retake the history exam, do you know if its true that they're stopping retakes? I love history and I'd be kicking myself forever if I dropped it, I guess its just a case of working a lot harder!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by icedcaramellatte
Ah thats made me feel a lot better, I think I'd regret dropping history, I just dont want to make any mistakes! Was it hard work turning the D into an A? I got two Cs in my history modules so Im wondering whether to retake both

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha good! Glad I could help - yes it took a lot of work but If you're motivated then I don't think it's that much of an issue! It also helped that I had a dedicated teacher for the subject! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest