The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff Fresher - What happens next?

Hey, basically I found out (to my delight) I had been accepted into Cardiff University. I accepted my accommodation, sorted my student finance and got my grades, but what now? I'm guessing all us Fresher's are in the same boat as need some advice from Second Year Cardiff Students etc. I have so many questions as to what happens next? Do we pay the student fee or does the student loan company pay it straight to Cardiff Uni? When shall we buy our wristbands? When does enrolment start? Basically if you have questions, post them here? I'm hoping some lovely Cardiff Students who were in the same boat help us out! As it's stressing me out, as I have no idea how this all works! SOS :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Had a letter from Cardiff today which included this leaflet, which says that we are informed by email when we can complete the enrolment tasks.

Also this page has information for new students that I haven't read yet
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/welcometocardiff

Here it says that student loans company pays the fees directly to the university.

A student loan is money that you can borrow to pay for your tuition fees when you are studying. This is a loan, not a grant, meaning that you will have to pay it back when you have finished your course and are earning. You will not be expected to begin repayments until your earnings cross the “repayment threshold” set by Student Loans Company.You may choose to take out a repayable Student Loan for Tuition Fees to cover all or part of your Tuition Fees liability. The Student Loans Company will pay the fees direct to the University on your behalf.
(edited 10 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
The previous poster addressed your questions quite well. Get to the Students union to get you student card and then your course enrolment will probably be on the date that it said on UCAS under 'start date' but you will be told more about this via email.

With regard to freshers, be careful with choosing which wristband to buy. Everyone that I know +myself only bought the Cardiff students union 'official' band which can be brought through their website, they are a bit pricey this year but the basic one is still good value. It does sell out closer to freshers so get it within the next fortnight. You will probably only go into town a few times so there really isn't much point getting the other wristbands as you are limited to one club per night, you can't just choose.

Hope this helps,
Enjoy Cardiff :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by timmyf1
Had a letter from Cardiff today which included this leaflet, which says that we are informed by email when we can complete the enrolment tasks.

Here it says that student loans company pays the fees directly to the university.

I read all this! Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by timmyf1

How long did your letter come through?
Reply 5
Original post by sprog101
How long did your letter come through?

The letter itself was dated Monday 12th (Cardiff was my firm choice), although the envelope had the date stamp of 15th and it arrived today.
Reply 6
Original post by themedicalgeek
you are limited to one club per night, you can't just choose.

Hope this helps,

Seriously?! Oh crap, i got two wristbands

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AinsleyBea
Seriously?! Oh crap, i got two wristbands

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well from their website, there seems to be only one club night on per night which uses the wristband-- http://www.fatsoma.com/events/92055/
Reply 8
Original post by timmyf1
The letter itself was dated Monday 12th (Cardiff was my firm choice), although the envelope had the date stamp of 15th and it arrived today.

Okay thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by timmyf1

Thank you for your help. I received the leaflet etc also. Cheers :biggrin: See you in Cardiff!
Reply 10
Original post by themedicalgeek
The previous poster addressed your questions quite well. Get to the Students union to get you student card and then your course enrolment will probably be on the date that it said on UCAS under 'start date' but you will be told more about this via email.

With regard to freshers, be careful with choosing which wristband to buy. Everyone that I know +myself only bought the Cardiff students union 'official' band which can be brought through their website, they are a bit pricey this year but the basic one is still good value. It does sell out closer to freshers so get it within the next fortnight. You will probably only go into town a few times so there really isn't much point getting the other wristbands as you are limited to one club per night, you can't just choose.

Hope this helps,

Thank you, a massive help :smile:
I'm unsure whether to get the wristband as I'd probably die going out 12 nights in a row, and what if your flat mates don't have wristbands? Then you'll just have to go out on your own!
Reply 12
Don't know if this the right place to reply, but i'm heading to Cardiff Met and I've bought the collective wristband which cost me £20. Its so much cheaper than the "official" one which costs £35 and entitles you to the same thing ie. nights out on the town in lots of different clubs. Why pay £15 more? At the end of the day if you want to try something different one night, you can always go on the website and get a one off ticket or just pay on the door. It doesn't make sense to pay more than you have to. You're going to make new friends wherever you end up going.
Reply 13
Stupid question, but when do we actually go to Cardiff? I know ucas says I start on the 24th but when does freshers week start?
Reply 14
Original post by Bekahj
Stupid question, but when do we actually go to Cardiff? I know ucas says I start on the 24th but when does freshers week start?

Unless your accommodation is different, you can move in on the 18th and the 24th is when welcome talks and stuff starts and proper lectures start the 30th I think :smile:
Reply 15
does anyone know about when you can join clubs and societies? and what happens with the rugby squad, I assume there are trials?
Reply 16
Original post by coates8
does anyone know about when you can join clubs and societies? and what happens with the rugby squad, I assume there are trials?

I have heard/read that you join clubs and societies at the societies fair in the SU during Freshers. You need a wrist band to get in or you have to pay I think :smile:
Reply 17
I have heard/read that you join clubs and societies at the societies fair in the SU during Freshers. You need a wrist band to get in or you have to pay I think :smile:
cheers, so much stuff I need to pay for ARGH!!!!
Reply 18
Original post by coates8
cheers, so much stuff I need to pay for ARGH!!!!

I am trying to figure out what I need to pay for lol XD. So are you going to Cardiff? :smile:
Reply 19
I am trying to figure out what I need to pay for lol XD. So are you going to Cardiff? :smile:

yeh, doing biomed, staying in taly south, how about you? so far I have figured I need to buy gym and rugby club membership, freshers wrist bands, and that's just the first week without drinks and food!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending