The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter changing offer to Falmouth - what can we do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Julesinos
My niece made the grade for her offer from Exeter, her first choice, got a confirmation from Exeter, which she accepted, and has now had an email to say she is being sent to Falmouth campus (100 miles from Exeter and 2.5 hours on the train). Her offer on UCAS has now been changed to Falmouth. She is devastated as she accepted an offer to Exeter. What can we do? It seems so unfair if she has to go into clearing when she made the grade for her first choice.

I am at the Cornwall Campus, and also have been working on the cornwall campus line talking to students who this has happened to. The reason would be because she has not made the grades to get into Streatham. I understand that it is a hugely devastating, however, this is not a rejection but Exeter saying that they still want her to study with them. The cornwall campus is NOT a rejects campus, it has the exact same quality of teaching. Within the email she would have had a number to call, they are open until 4 today. Call them. There isn't a lot she can do in terms of getting a place at Streatham unless she had a remark and the remark is returned with grades of her original offer.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Brownie anyone?
I am at the Cornwall Campus, and also have been working on the cornwall campus line talking to students who this has happened to. The reason would be because she has not made the grades to get into Streatham.

The OP doesn't accept that

For the record, her conditional offer was AAB or A*BB in any subject combination. She got A*BB so fulfilled the criteria.

The cornwall campus is NOT a rejects campus,

With respect, and I realise you attend it, your post makes it sound EXACTLY like it's a rejects campus
(edited 10 years ago)
I am at the Cornwall Campus, and also have been working on the cornwall campus line talking to students who this has happened to. The reason would be because she has not made the grades to get into Streatham. I understand that it is a hugely devastating, however, this is not a rejection but Exeter saying that they still want her to study with them. The cornwall campus is NOT a rejects campus, it has the exact same quality of teaching. Within the email she would have had a number to call, they are open until 4 today. Call them. There isn't a lot she can do in terms of getting a place at Streatham unless she had a remark and the remark is returned with grades of her original offer.

I think the problem is, OP's niece has actually met the original conditions of her offer.
Reply 43
Original post by Minerva
History V100 also has different entry requirements depending on the campus, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing applied about the academics.

I looked at History V100, and the falmouth course had barely half the modules of the exeter one, and in different things, even though it was same course code and made out to be just as good etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
There is a difference between the politics and international relations degree on the Exeter campus, and the one on the Cornwall Campus. Exeter campus is either a Bsc or an MPol, while Cornwall campus is a BA. Are you sure she applied to the correct course code?
Reply 45
Original post by maccy
There is a difference between the politics and international relations degree on the Exeter campus, and the one on the Cornwall Campus. Exeter campus is either a Bsc or an MPol, while Cornwall campus is a BA. Are you sure she applied to the correct course code?

I never spotted that DUH , i noticed the course code was diff and grades they wanted but didn't clock one was a BA and other was Bsc.

It's looking like they have changed her course :frown: , wont know for certain until she rings them and she checks her exact offer conditions . Feel awful for her as she has gone from being on cloud 9 to :frown: .
Sorry, course is Politics and International Relations. I don't know code and she has now had to leave home for work.

I'm going to study Politics and International Relations at the University of Exeter Cornwall Campus this year.

The course is only offered at the Cornwall campus, in case you did not know.

Whether or not she goes to the main campus, or the Cornwall campus, it is still the University of Exeter!

Edit: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/politics/cornwallpolis/
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Silent Witness
I'm going to study Politics and International Relations at the University of Exeter Cornwall Campus this year.

Whether or not she goes to the main campus, or the Cornwall campus, it is still the University of Exeter!

I think they do do politics and IR at both - one is BA and one is BSc ..
Reply 48
Has she applied for accommodation and paid any deposits yet? If she does end up at the other campus then this is potentially going to cost a lot of money to sort out somewhere to live if she can't get refunds.

She met her offer though.
Reply 49
Original post by Silent Witness

I assumed that at first but can't find a 2013 prospectus online, didn't look that well i guess so hard to confirm , 2014 there is one at Exeter also but with higher entry grades and it's a Bsc not a Ba .
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LadyBunion
I think they do do politics and IR at both - one is BA and one is BSc ..

That is for 2014 entry, I believe.
Original post by Alix-21
I assumed that at first but can't find a 2013 prospectus online, so hard to confirm , 2014 there is one at Exeter also but with higher entry grades and it's a Bsc not a Ba .

Your wish is my command

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/webteam/shared/undergraduate/pdfs/UGProspectus2013.pdf

It is no help. It does not admit that there is a course in Politics and International Relations at either Streatham or Falmouth!

Perhaps it is taught in their Area 51 campus or in the Triangle Building in Hamilton
I have found the 2013 prospectus online - trying to cut and paste

give up - on page 137 and 139 https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.exeter.ac.uk%2Fmedia%2Funiversityofexeter%2Fwebteam%2Fshared%2Fundergraduate%2Fpdfs%2FUGProspectus2013.pdf&ei=LcoQUu6wO4e60QW5nYA4&usg=AFQjCNEDmFe6hqi9mSuoMFBJvkr7glMQdQ&sig2=MJBqbloY7nDBxHG2Ig6MiA&bvm=bv.50768961,d.d2k

Looks like the only politics and IS was Cornwall .

Could do the two separately at Exeter or in combination with loads of other things EXCEPT each oother
(edited 10 years ago)
upload.JPG

sorry not very clear - E = Exeter C=Cornwall
(edited 10 years ago)

Looks like the only politics and IS was Cornwall .

But we are chasing a course containing the word "relations" not the word "studies"
Original post by nulli tertius
But we are chasing a course containing the word "relations" not the word "studies"

Hmm - can't see one of those either - there isn't a Pol and IR anywhere in Exeter in 2013 according to the table on page 139
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Alix-21
I never spotted that DUH , i noticed the course code was diff and grades they wanted but didn't clock one was a BA and other was Bsc.

It's looking like they have changed her course :frown: , wont know for certain until she rings them and she checks her exact offer conditions . Feel awful for her as she has gone from being on cloud 9 to :frown: .

I wouldnt lose hope till you've called and asked them if theres any possibility if she can change, and even then I have heard of people changing from Cornwall campus to main campus once they got there if she really doesnt like it! Either way, Exeter is a fantastic university, and she'll probably enjoy wherever she goes. Hope something works out!
Hmm - can't see one of those either - there isn't a Pol and IR anywhere in Exeter in 2013 according to the table on page 139

Exactly.

I think this course was invented after the prospectus went to press. That may explain a poor take up and why the Streatham and Falmouth applicants are being consolidated in Falmouth.
The OP doesn't accept that

With respect, and I realise you attend it, your post makes it sound EXACTLY like it's a rejects campus

If She has met the conditions then they shouldn't have moved her down. She needs to call up and find exactly why, but you only have until 5 tomorrow before Exeter will withdraw the offer.

It isn't a rejects campus, because this takes place across all 4 campuses. I have friends who applied to the Cornwall campus and were moved up to Streatham, and others who applied to Cornwall and sent to St Lukes (for biology related courses). So if it WAS then all campuses are reject campuses. People just tend to react worse to being sent to a smaller campus. The uni tends to move people around to where they believe the individuals interests lie. I achieved A*AA at A level and chose to come down to the Cornwall campus even though I was offered a place at Streatham.

Also Politics and IR is only taught at Cornwal...They have International Relations Studies I think at Exeter though. Or did.
(edited 10 years ago)
Exactly.

I think this course was invented after the prospectus went to press. That may explain a poor take up and why the Streatham and Falmouth applicants are being consolidated in Falmouth.

Good point re the late invention - no wonder there is chaos...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending