The Student Room Group

How to forget heartbreak

I told this girl who I adored that I felt that way for her (well, I made a friend do it for me because I was too nervous XD), and she told me she never felt that way for me.

That was two months ago now, and I don't know why, but it's been really hard to deal with. Even now I can't stop thinking about her, and I'm on holiday. That's how badly I've dealt with it so far.

However, when I get back, she is in my circle of friends, and I'll have to see her all of the time. I've foolishly invited her to my birthday party as well, and I just don't know if I even want to stay friends with her because if how depressed I get when I think of her rejecting me.

It may just be because she was the first girl I've fell in love with this much, but I really don't know how to forget all of the pain and despair that she's caused me...

Scroll to see replies

"The best way to get over someone is to get under someone else"
Original post by Super Koopa
I told this girl who I adored that I felt that way for her (well, I made a friend do it for me because I was too nervous XD), and she told me she never felt that way for me.

That was two months ago now, and I don't know why, but it's been really hard to deal with. Even now I can't stop thinking about her, and I'm on holiday. That's how badly I've dealt with it so far.

However, when I get back, she is in my circle of friends, and I'll have to see her all of the time. I've foolishly invited her to my birthday party as well, and I just don't know if I even want to stay friends with her because if how depressed I get when I think of her rejecting me.

It may just be because she was the first girl I've fell in love with this much, but I really don't know how to forget all of the pain and despair that she's caused me...

You just need time and eventually you'll forget and meet someone new. Time around family and friends may help?

I always say if it's not meant to be it's not meant to be.:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
"The best way to get over someone is to get under someone else"

If only that could work for me... Every girl I've ever asked out in my life (four or five at the very least) has rejected me, apart from one girl who asked me out as a joke. :frown:

Original post by hannahisasmit
You just need time and eventually you'll forget and meet someone new. Time around family and friends may help?

I always say if it's not meant to be it's not meant to be.:smile:

I suppose you're right... Well, I'm on holiday now, so that's great family time. :biggrin:

And the only reason I let a friend tell her because the girl kept saying nice things about me. She called me sweet, kind and cute, which all seemed like pretty darn big hints to me, but I read it wrong... Are they 'bad' words when it comes to judging if someone likes you?
You're on holiday ffs, open your eyes for a new girl(s) and get 'distracted'. If all else fails then stop loving her and start hating her for rejecting you - at least this way you won't be constantly thinking about her.
Violent masturbation, listening to upbeat music almost constantly and then methodically bedding the said girls friends and acquaintances.
You don't forget it. You just move on, which is very different.
Reply 7
Bang your way over her, find a beautiful woman and just **** until the cows come home :h:
Reply 8
New love (as others have subtly suggested) is the only cure. Even then you can still feel wistful... Best of luck.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
If you constantly think about her.... You're going to have a bad timeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by AwsomePossum
Violent masturbation, listening to upbeat music almost constantly and then methodically bedding the said girls friends and acquaintances.

not a bad strategy if you can pull it off, so to speak..
If only that could work for me... Every girl I've ever asked out in my life (four or five at the very least) has rejected me, apart from one girl who asked me out as a joke. :frown:

I suppose you're right... Well, I'm on holiday now, so that's great family time. :biggrin:

And the only reason I let a friend tell her because the girl kept saying nice things about me. She called me sweet, kind and cute, which all seemed like pretty darn big hints to me, but I read it wrong... Are they 'bad' words when it comes to judging if someone likes you?

What kind of holiday are you on and where? I love holidays and the last thing I would want is woman worries. My holidays are rather solitary as people bug the hell outta me, kinda like whats happening with you right now but in a different way.
Reply 12
Original post by zzFishstick
You're on holiday ffs, open your eyes for a new girl(s) and get 'distracted'. If all else fails then stop loving her and start hating her for rejecting you - at least this way you won't be constantly thinking about her.

That's exactly what I'm doing, but every time I see a pretty/kind girl here, she's with people who I could only describe as stereotypical, arrogant douchebags.

Original post by AwsomePossum

The upbeat music one works, I'll give you that, but I highly doubt that anyone who isn't a slag who is my age would want to bed anyone. :P

Original post by BenP
You don't forget it. You just move on, which is very different.

Every time I think I've moved on, I end up getting sad for some reason or other, and then it comes back to me. Not a nice feeling, I can assure you.

Original post by tehFrance
Bang your way over her, find a beautiful woman and just **** until the cows come home

Age is a bit of a barrier to that one. XD

Original post by Zarek
New love (as others have subtly suggested) is the only cure. Even then you can still feel wistful... Best of luck.

It's really hard to feel that way about someone again, though. Every time I saw her since the first time, I got butterflies and blushed as pink as a peach. I'm surprised that she never realised, really.

Original post by Sib1994
If you constantly think about her.... You're going to have a bad timeeee

I know... That's why I'm trying to do as much as I can to try and stop thinking about her... She's still my friend, though, which doesn't help. :3

Original post by Laomedeia
What kind of holiday are you on and where? I love holidays and the last thing I would want is woman worries. My holidays are rather solitary as people bug the hell outta me, kinda like whats happening with you right now but in a different way.

I'm in a relaxing/tourist holiday in Jersey with my family. It's been really calm and peaceful here since I arrived, and I'm really enjoying it so far. :smile: And I like time to myself, too, because sometimes it's exactly what you need to cheer yourself up.
(edited 10 years ago)

To be honest yepp, if a girl ever says she thinks you're sweet and cute it's safe to say she doesn't see you in that way. Then again I could be wrong! :smile:
Reply 14
To be honest yepp, if a girl ever says she thinks you're sweet and cute it's safe to say she doesn't see you in that way. Then again I could be wrong! :smile:

I've heard that it isn't a good thing to be called before, so you're probably right.

I'm just sick of being rejected every single time I tell someone I like them, though. I've never had much confidence in the first place, but how low I feel now (even on holiday) is ridiculous; I can barely look at a girl who I find attractive any more, let alone confess my feelings to them.

P.S.: When I said I invited her to my birthday party, she's just answered today and is busy... She's probably avoiding me because of how awkward I made it, because I haven't seen her since that day. We got along really well, too. :'(
I've heard that it isn't a good thing to be called before, so you're probably right.

I'm just sick of being rejected every single time I tell someone I like them, though. I've never had much confidence in the first place, but how low I feel now (even on holiday) is ridiculous; I can barely look at a girl who I find attractive any more, let alone confess my feelings to them.

P.S.: When I said I invited her to my birthday party, she's just answered today and is busy... She's probably avoiding me because of how awkward I made it, because I haven't seen her since that day. We got along really well, too. :'(

I never believed this before but it's true just give it time, when you're not looking someone will come to you. :smile:

Do you still want to be friends with her? If so I'd say just message her or talk to her and tell her you don't want it to be awkward between you two and you still want to be friends. It won't be awkward (if she comes to your party) if you just treat her like you used to.

If you don't mind me asking how old are you? You've got plenty of time. Just try and enjoy your holiday the best you can. :smile:
Reply 16
Just remember that the more time goes by, the less you will feel these sad emotions. I know it's hard to bare that in mind when you're embroiled in your own sadness, but whether it be a week, a month, or a year from now just know one day you will be able to look back on this when you are happy with someone else and not even be able remember how you felt before.

Apart from that just try and keep yourself occupied with other things, talking to your family and friends, indulging in whatever hobbies you may be interested, things like that.

Bro I'm sorry :frown: I felt the same way you did for a boy but he didn't like me it was awkward because he was friends with my friends then he became the boyfriend of my best friend. AWKWARD. Anyway I managed to move on, I used to hide away but eventually I had to step out and accept the truth. I did and thank the unicorns above that I have moved on. I cannot say it's going to be easy but here are some tips. Try to distance yourself from her, the whole party dilemma sucks bro but it's YOUR birthday and you need to celebrate a new era in your life a new start think of the party as an opportunity to show this. Don't really talk to her at the party or anywhere else but don't seem unfriendly. Rather than paying attention to her pay attention to yourself and improve on areas of yourself... and at the party try to be friendly but don't mull over her, the talk of the party should be the awesome time the guests are having not her. Take up a new activity e.g. I read some more medical books and boy my knowledge on DNA has improved :smile: These activities should be an opportunity for you to meet new people... DON'T think "oh at art club ( or whatever) I 'm going to meet some cool girls" just try making friends... your heart hurts and needs time...I talk from experience bro time really is a good healer but trust me all the time invested in you rather than her is worth it because bro you're awesome and don't forget it. I'm going to say this but maybe having an outlet for these feelings is good... e.g. if you want to cry it out, write about it, sing a song, etc do it and yes guys can cry it's not feminine behaviour it's a physiological mechanism designed for when we feel upset. I used to write poems and songs about my unrequited love and frustration it REALLY helped :biggrin:..... Widen your group of friends don't be afraid to meet new people, the romantic rejection isn't just romantic it's a social rejection and this can leave you feeling probably down sometimes e.g. I felt unwanted and lonely.... So pick yourself back up, look after yourself keep healthy and re-evaluate your social life, don't let HER be the cause of an unnecessary fear..... So there's my advice good luck , live long and prosper and I wish you the best bro....Remember ( yea it's cliché but ironically said cliché sayings work the best :3 ) It does get better :biggrin:

I HAVE BEEN IN LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME SITUATION PLEASE READ THIS!!!!

Okay she was the first girl I had ever asked out and she said "sorry I only see you as a friend". I like avoided her everywhere and didn't speak to her for months, and with her being in my circle of friends, any gatherings were really awkward.

Only recently have I gathered the balls to actually talk to her and say "Look, I'm sorry for being awkward around you, I'd like for us to forget about this and be friends". I just wish I had done that months ago to avoid all the awkwardness at school and out of school.

To get over the heartbreak, however, say some things to yourself:
- I'm guessing you're still at school - any relationships between now and university are likely to end in heartbreak anyway - so just see it as you getting it early
- Learn from the experience - before you ask a girl out, make sure you have the signs that she actually likes you as well
- There's plenty more fish in the sea! Try talking to other girls to help you move on, you'll find someone else in no time I'm sure!
Reply 19
I never believed this before but it's true just give it time, when you're not looking someone will come to you. :smile:

Do you still want to be friends with her? If so I'd say just message her or talk to her and tell her you don't want it to be awkward between you two and you still want to be friends. It won't be awkward (if she comes to your party) if you just treat her like you used to.

If you don't mind me asking how old are you? You've got plenty of time. Just try and enjoy your holiday the best you can. :smile:

I don't look, though... It was the one time when I felt a feeling so great I can't describe it... When I was with her.

And yeah, I still want to be friends. I've only known her a few months, but we got along really well and we had really similar personalities and interests. I did message her on Facebook and I said that I didn't want it to be awkard, and she agreed, but she's been 'cyber-avoiding' me since then.

And I'm 13, nearly 14. I know that I'll probably meet a girl better than her as I get older, but the feeling I get around her takes away the pain from everything going wrong in my life; she makes me happy, even as just a friend. She's the only one of my friends who can always cheer me up, and I've knew her for almost the least amount of time out of all of the people in our 'circle'.

Original post by lalalaliv
Just remember that the more time goes by, the less you will feel these sad emotions. I know it's hard to bare that in mind when you're embroiled in your own sadness, but whether it be a week, a month, or a year from now just know one day you will be able to look back on this when you are happy with someone else and not even be able remember how you felt before.

Apart from that just try and keep yourself occupied with other things, talking to your family and friends, indulging in whatever hobbies you may be interested, things like that.

I hope to God you're right... If I could somehow end up with someone else within a year to look back on this with, I'd be as shocked as a cat thrown into water. XD Like I said, though, it's been two months (well, near enough), and the feelings are just as bad as they were before.

And the only hobby I really have is video gaming (just started a Phoenix Wright game and I love it!), which isn't a very outward and social one.

Original post by ChieOnakata
Bro I'm sorry :frown: I felt the same way you did for a boy but he didn't like me it was awkward because he was friends with my friends then he became the boyfriend of my best friend. AWKWARD. Anyway I managed to move on, I used to hide away but eventually I had to step out and accept the truth. I did and thank the unicorns above that I have moved on. I cannot say it's going to be easy but here are some tips. Try to distance yourself from her, the whole party dilemma sucks bro but it's YOUR birthday and you need to celebrate a new era in your life a new start think of the party as an opportunity to show this. Don't really talk to her at the party or anywhere else but don't seem unfriendly. Rather than paying attention to her pay attention to yourself and improve on areas of yourself... and at the party try to be friendly but don't mull over her, the talk of the party should be the awesome time the guests are having not her. Take up a new activity e.g. I read some more medical books and boy my knowledge on DNA has improved :smile: These activities should be an opportunity for you to meet new people... DON'T think "oh at art club ( or whatever) I 'm going to meet some cool girls" just try making friends... your heart hurts and needs time...I talk from experience bro time really is a good healer but trust me all the time invested in you rather than her is worth it because bro you're awesome and don't forget it. I'm going to say this but maybe having an outlet for these feelings is good... e.g. if you want to cry it out, write about it, sing a song, etc do it and yes guys can cry it's not feminine behaviour it's a physiological mechanism designed for when we feel upset. I used to write poems and songs about my unrequited love and frustration it REALLY helped :biggrin:..... Widen your group of friends don't be afraid to meet new people, the romantic rejection isn't just romantic it's a social rejection and this can leave you feeling probably down sometimes e.g. I felt unwanted and lonely.... So pick yourself back up, look after yourself keep healthy and re-evaluate your social life, don't let HER be the cause of an unnecessary fear..... So there's my advice good luck , live long and prosper and I wish you the best bro....Remember ( yea it's cliché but ironically said cliché sayings work the best :3 ) It does get better :biggrin:

Yeah, I think of lyrics and write some poems to vent my feelings. I'm also writing a story very loosely based on my life, with a character that resembles her so that I can see what some of her bad qualities might be. XD

Original post by AwkwardLemur
I HAVE BEEN IN LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME SITUATION PLEASE READ THIS!!!!

Okay she was the first girl I had ever asked out and she said "sorry I only see you as a friend". I like avoided her everywhere and didn't speak to her for months, and with her being in my circle of friends, any gatherings were really awkward.

Only recently have I gathered the balls to actually talk to her and say "Look, I'm sorry for being awkward around you, I'd like for us to forget about this and be friends". I just wish I had done that months ago to avoid all the awkwardness at school and out of school.

To get over the heartbreak, however, say some things to yourself:
- I'm guessing you're still at school - any relationships between now and university are likely to end in heartbreak anyway - so just see it as you getting it early
- Learn from the experience - before you ask a girl out, make sure you have the signs that she actually likes you as well
- There's plenty more fish in the sea! Try talking to other girls to help you move on, you'll find someone else in no time I'm sure!

Well done for having the courage! I know how hard that must have been from when I did the same thing. And I expected heartbreak, but I expected it when I had actually been in a relationship, not beforehand! She did give me a few signs; we had a lot of banter that we did to each other more than anyone else, we had a LOT in common, we talked to each other all of the time, and she called me cute, kind and sweet, which I thought were good signs. I'm not saying that she lead me on at all by any means, but she gave me - a kid with no confidence - the impression that she liked me. Now, she goes offline whenever I am online, doesn't answer to my messages and such, and is always busy when people ask her to go somewhere and I am invited, so our friendship is pretty non-existent now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending