The Student Room Group

Medicine/Science Related Degrees

Hi everyone,

Just a simple question here,

Can you guys list some degrees that are related to medicine, but pay well and are safe degrees. By 'safe' I mean you can do that degree and will be likely to get employed after and not stack shelves at your local supermarket.

Ideally, I'd have like to study medicine, but it's unlikely so I'd like some other options. Just pop down some degrees that are medicine/science related and pay well that are safe. Also, if possible, can you briefly describe career paths that stem from those degrees and a quick view on salaries etc.

And please, I've seen this on too many other threads, if you're here to tell me that I should do a degree based on passion then you can simply do yourself a favour and press the button with a X in the top right corner of your current window. I like all areas of science, apart from plant biology.

Thanks for your replies in advance

p.s. I know it sounds like I'm asking you to do research for me, but it's not the most exhilarating task to spend hours surfing...besides, I would like to see what people think about certain careers and asking people is better than reading some biased article imo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
So far as I'm aware there aren't that are remotely comparable. Perhaps law if you can get enough experience to go down the coroner route but thats a risky strategy to follow.

Had I not got into medicine it would have been engineering or something more finance related for me.

EDIT

To be fair I'm always rather surprised how much nursing pays, especially when you take into account the night rates and the fact that the course is so short. Not that I would have considered it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Have you considered therapeutic or diagnostic radiography.... Both involve medicine and science :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by lindsay2910
Have you considered therapeutic or diagnostic radiography.... Both involve medicine and science :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite possibly the most interesting of the allied health profession, but the OP said they wanted something that pays well so I assumed they had discounted anything on the agenda for change scale.
Reply 4
Reply 5
I am also interested in any replies to the initial question. What about Biomedical Sciences?
Any other answers?, I'm also interested...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by est4elle
I am also interested in any replies to the initial question. What about Biomedical Sciences?

Nightmare to get a job and crap pay.

The tumbleweed running through this thread should be a fairly good indicator of the absence of alternatives to medicine that are comparable (except dentistry which if you can't get medicine isn't an option).
Reply 8
Dunno about pay but off the top of my head...

Audiologist
Speech and language therapist
Optometrist
Radiographer
Nurse
Dental nurse/assistant/hygienist
Counsellor
Healthcare assistant
Operation theatre manager
General hospital management
Medical receptionist
Biomedical scientist
Midwife
Paramedic

There are probably more. Why don't you check out the NHS careers website?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending