The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
Cs to As are doable. Have you done your AS exams this year?

Yep.
Original post by im so academic
Yep.

How did they go?
How did they go?

Good.
Good.

Glad to hear it. This thread is just an academic interest, then, is it?
Finished AS with aabcc in Psychology, RS (philosophy + Ethics), Chemistry, Biology and Maths respectively. Dropped Psychology on an A grade because i hated it. Pulled up all my other grades to AAAA --> AAAAa overall. With almost an A* in Maths and RS which is quite good because I got a C in as maths but almost an A* in overall. I got 98 in C4 but only 70 something in C3 Sadly! As for work, I worked dam hard during my AS but still messed up probably because of poor exam technique, sufficient knowledge but insufficient understanding. So worked even harder at A2 did 9 exams in January and 6 the following June and worked on the bit I highlighted earlier. Erm it was a tough year but I wanted to study medicine so it motivated me and I worked dam hard to prove teachers wrong.

I did have 5 hours of free lessons during school time if that helps (due to dropping psychology), RS was a fast track subject of 2 hours a week :biggrin: Good luck people!!
Glad to hear it. This thread is just an academic interest, then, is it?

Err, I think so?! :lolwut: What else could it be?
Original post by raveen789
Finished AS with aabcc in Psychology, RS (philosophy + Ethics), Chemistry, Biology and Maths respectively. Dropped Psychology on an A grade because i hated it. Pulled up all my other grades to AAAA --> AAAAa overall. With almost an A* in Maths and RS which is quite good because I got a C in as maths but almost an A* in overall. I got 98 in C4 but only 70 something in C3 Sadly! As for work, I worked dam hard during my AS but still messed up probably because of poor exam technique, sufficient knowledge but insufficient understanding. So worked even harder at A2 did 9 exams in January and 6 the following June and worked on the bit I highlighted earlier. Erm it was a tough year but I wanted to study medicine so it motivated me and I worked dam hard to prove teachers wrong.

I did have 5 hours of free lessons during school time if that helps (due to dropping psychology), RS was a fast track subject of 2 hours a week :biggrin: Good luck people!!

Did you get into Medicine in the end?
Err, I think so?! :lolwut: What else could it be?

Seeking help, I thought.
Did you get into Medicine in the end?

Erm no but that's more to do with personal things than my grades and I suck at aptitude tests :colondollar:
Reply 189
Original post by Arazamataz
My results were exactly the same only with different subjects. I also need ABB. let me know if you eat a reply because I'm looking at balancing 7A2's and 7AS' exams next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No point tbh , might as well just retake the year as its better than doing 14 exams in the summer and flopping again ..
Good.

what subjects are you taking?
Reply 191
Original post by JordanS94
I got a prediction of A*A for A and B but the D I dropped so I can't say but I' thin teachers would assume you can improve by at least 2 grades so i think a prediction of A*AB would be automatic or your teacher would need a little convincing but not much :smile:

Thank you so much!! The thought of getting those predictions has made my day, it may take some convincing for the D grade with my Human Biology Lecturer but I'll do what I can xD Thank you!!
Wow thats really awesome getting an A in phy.i wish i got that,i got C which was unexpected(i thought will get U).i actualky hate physics but as a requirement for medicine admission i have to study phy.. how did u manage that?
If u dont mind telling me your preparation secrets.:-P
Thank u in advance.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Some of these stories are amazing, hope I can turn my chemistry and biology around next year! Need to go from C's to A's in both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LazyTobi
For my January year 12 results I got DDCA, one of the Ds being in chemistry. The A-Levels I achieved as of yesterday are A*AA, the A* is chemistry.

It's definitely possible to make a complete u-turn. Another example, the C I got barely improved at all until this June in which I retook 3 of my 4 physics exams and got an A overall.

So did you get a D in physics? And how hard was it to retake your AS in june and do your a level at the same time?
Reply 195
For every retake I took for my A levels I went up by two grades (5 retakes in total), the most dramatic difference was probably a law retake (OCR, G151) which took me from a middle C to a high A (93%). A level maths for me was also pretty successful; I got a B, which might not seem like a huge success, but I had huge problems with maths from day one. I came really close to dropping the subject at the start of year 12 and I was almost prevented from carrying it on to A2 after my results (got a D for the AS), but I was determined to improve. I retook both June exams, moving from a D and an E to a B and a C, did quite well in statistics, and managed to get a B overall - even if it was only by 4 UMS :colondollar:

I also went from a B in AS law to an A* overall, after the retake and working really hard on my A2 modules. Hard work definitely pays in the end :smile:
I got C in physics.
Last year I did pretty bad in my AS considering i was predicted all As. i ended up with ABD. the B in Chemistry which i was devastated with since i wanted to do it at uni, and a D in physics which i needed to get into uni!.

so in year 13 I retook both exams in chemistry and physics. if your doing sciences, year 12 topics become a piece of cake in year 13! year 13 topics build on what you learnt in year 12! so retaking year 12 science exams is highly recommended, even if you got a B because you're bound to get so much higher in a retake after you've learnt the year 13 stuff.

In the end I achieves AAA and now off to study chemistry!
Reply 198
I know its a bit crazy but I managed to go from a CDUU in ICT, Biology, Geography and Chemistry at AS level to an ABB (ICT, Biology, Geography). I dropped Chemistry after pushing it up on an E at AS lol
Managed to get into UCL to do Speech Therapy.
Although this was in 2009 when we could do Jan retakes.
Reply 199
Original post by reddevil13
So did you get a D in physics? And how hard was it to retake your AS in june and do your a level at the same time?

No, my two Ds were in Chemistry and Philosophy. I got a C in Physics. Also, I didn't retake all of AS in June because one of the exams was on my birthday (I really didn't want to sit an exam on my birthday) I only retook Unit 1 (30% of AS). I sat all of A2 in June though as I didn't do well enough with my January, Unit 5 (50% of A2), results.

I'd say it was fairly easy, my AS and A2 exams were separated by 3 weeks. It was far easier to make time to revise for my AS retake than it was with my A2 retakes as they were quite clustered together. It would've been far wiser to sit all of AS than all of A2 Physics, I would've had much more time between exams.

Quick Reply

Latest