The Student Room Group

Early application for Medicine soon.. but i STILL don't have the minimum requirements

Hi everyone. so as you can see from my name, i've been REALLY REALLY scared these few months.

So here's my question, i'm going to be a POST -graduate for 2014 and to apply for medicine, you need to send in your application through ucas in October (two months from now)

but my predicted grades still haven't reached most universities minimum requirement!! Am i able to apply for medicine later? or is october the final date and if i want to apply for medicine, I'll have to either wait for the clearings or wait for next year??

please help guys... thanks you so muchhh :smile:

sorry i meant to say POST graduate. as in, i'm graduating highschool in 2014 :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
October 15 is the final date. What do you mean you haven't reached the minimum requirement? As you're graduating next year, you can't say that for sure and, as long as you're predicted the minimum requirement, you have a good shot at Med.
Original post by scared2death
Hi everyone. so as you can see from my name, i've been REALLY REALLY scared these few months.

So here's my question, i'm going to be a graduate for 2014 and to apply for medicine, you need to send in your application through ucas in October (two months from now)

but my grades still haven't reached most universities minimum requirement!! Am i able to apply for medicine later? or is october the final date and if i want to apply for medicine, I'll have to either wait for the clearings or wait for next year??

There are various stickies which will answer some of your questions. Two answers straight off the bat - you must apply by October 15th and forget about medicine in clearing.
(edited 10 years ago)

So here's my question, i'm going to be a graduate for 2014 and to apply for medicine, you need to send in your application through ucas in October (two months from now)

but my grades still haven't reached most universities minimum requirement!! Am i able to apply for medicine later? or is october the final date and if i want to apply for medicine, I'll have to either wait for the clearings or wait for next year??

Yes the deadline for medicine is October, or you'll have to wait till next year and the next ucas cycle. Also I think you can't apply to Medicine through clearing, but you'll have to check that! Graduate entry Medicine is even more competitive compared to the normal entry Medicine, and if you don't have the minimum entry requirements for a uni don't apply there. They would probably reject you outright or you would stand very little chance. What I would do is contact the unis you were thinking of applying to, and check online what unis have entry requirements that meet your grades. The unis should give you advice on what to do. x
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Can I suggest you post in the medicine forum?

Moved it :smile:
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Moved it :smile:

Just spotted it and wondered if I was losing my mind... I've had so many senior moments this year, they are adding up to months.
Reply 6
Original post by Alix_js
Yes the deadline for medicine is October, or you'll have to wait till next year and the next ucas cycle. Also I think you can't apply to Medicine through clearing, but you'll have to check that! Graduate entry Medicine is even more competitive compared to the normal entry Medicine, and if you don't have the minimum entry requirements for a uni don't apply there. They would probably reject you outright or you would stand very little chance. What I would do is contact the unis you were thinking of applying to, and check online what unis have entry requirements that meet your grades. The unis should give you advice on what to do. x

Hi Alix, i meant to say, i'm going to be a post graduate sorry. and *sigh* i've checked through all unis in uk. my predicted grade is a 34. but their min requirement is at least 36... i'll probably be rejected outright right?
Reply 7
Thank you to everyone who answered! i think i get the picture now. I'd most likely not get any offer cos even my predicted grades haven't reached the minumum requirement of the uni's for medicine! I was hoping that i won't need to hand in my application so early and have more time to improve my grades. i guess... i'll just have to wait for next year :/
Hi Alix, i meant to say, i'm going to be a post graduate sorry. and *sigh* i've checked through all unis in uk. my predicted grade is a 34. but their min requirement is at least 36... i'll probably be rejected outright right?

Sorry to say this but I think you would. It is always worth sending them a quick email though- you never know if they would allow you with this grade, but the chances are minimal. If you are really interested in healthcare and helping people it is always worth having a look at Nursing, Physiotherapy or Midwifery courses, as they would ask for lower grades. Please don't study these courses however if your heart is not fully into it- you may really regret it. However, if your heart is 100% set on Medicine then it might be best to spend the year improving grades, and getting more work experience. Also have a plan for what happens if your grades don't improve- as this is a possibility. Just take some time to think what is realistic, and what you would feel most comfortable doing. Good luck. x
Reply 9

So here's my question, i'm going to be a POST -graduate for 2014 and to apply for medicine, you need to send in your application through ucas in October (two months from now)

but my predicted grades still haven't reached most universities minimum requirement!! Am i able to apply for medicine later? or is october the final date and if i want to apply for medicine, I'll have to either wait for the clearings or wait for next year??

sorry i meant to say POST graduate. as in, i'm graduating highschool in 2014 :s-smilie:

Hold on, you're still in school? As in you haven't gone to university already? If you're still in high school you don't want to be applying for graduate entry medicine courses as you are not a "graduate" in UK terms - for us that means someone who has already got a degree.

What qualifications are you currently taking?
Reply 10
Original post by Helenia
Hold on, you're still in school? As in you haven't gone to university already? If you're still in high school you don't want to be applying for graduate entry medicine courses as you are not a "graduate" in UK terms - for us that means someone who has already got a degree.

What qualifications are you currently taking?

sorry about not being that clear silly me :P im' still doing the International Baccelerate and so i'm just a post graduate for uni's. (i meant to say graduate in high school)
Reply 11
Original post by Alix_js
Sorry to say this but I think you would. It is always worth sending them a quick email though- you never know if they would allow you with this grade, but the chances are minimal. If you are really interested in healthcare and helping people it is always worth having a look at Nursing, Physiotherapy or Midwifery courses, as they would ask for lower grades. Please don't study these courses however if your heart is not fully into it- you may really regret it. However, if your heart is 100% set on Medicine then it might be best to spend the year improving grades, and getting more work experience. Also have a plan for what happens if your grades don't improve- as this is a possibility. Just take some time to think what is realistic, and what you would feel most comfortable doing. Good luck. x

Reply 12
sorry about not being that clear silly me :P im' still doing the International Baccelerate and so i'm just a post graduate for uni's. (i meant to say graduate in high school)

No, you need to get your terminology correct or you'll end up getting the wrong advice or applying for the wrong course. In the UK we don't "graduate" from high school, we only use that term about university, so any courses referring to "graduate" or "post-graduate" entry are NOT for people just leaving school. You want standard undergraduate entry courses - graduate/post-grad entry is for people who already have a university degree.

Anyway, as I understand it, your teachers are predicting you grades that are lower than the universities' minimum requirements for medicine? Unfortunately, if you can't persuade them to increase their predictions, your chances of getting in are slim. Your options are then to either wait a year until you've completed your IB, and apply with grades already achieved (assuming you meet the requirements) or to apply for a different course. Bear in mind that the graduate-entry route is often not open to international applicants, so that may not be a good option for you.
As Helenia said, the International Baccalurate should be used to apply for an undergraduate - not postgraduate - course.
So make sure you apply for the right course if you were to apply :smile:

For predictions, you really need to be looking at 36, 37 preferably. Note: This includes Theory of Knowledge & Extended Essay. So if you can get predicted A&B for those, that is 3 points - making your overall prediction 37 points :smile:

Do you have Chemistry & Biology at higher? (Or at least 1 higher & 1 standard level?)

You can also beg your teachers to predict you 6's (or 7's) instead of 5's. Promise to take another exam to prove you are capable of achieving a '6' in the real thing & if you do well in the re-test, they may well say yes to the prediction increase :smile:

Note:
UEA ask for "34

666 at Higher level to include Biology and a second science from Chemistry or Physics."

So you may be in for a shout there - but nearly all the rest are 36/37.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Lionheartat20
As Helenia said, the International Baccalurate is most definitely an undergraduate - not postgraduate - course.

Well, no - IB is Further Education or high school education if you want to call it that. It is not undergraduate as it doesn't lead to you becoming a graduate. A Bachelors is an undergraduate course.
Original post by Ronove
Well, no - IB is Further Education or high school education if you want to call it that. It is not undergraduate as it doesn't lead to you becoming a graduate. A Bachelors is an undergraduate course.

I just re-read my post and that part is poorly written!

I meant, you most definitely have to apply for an undergraduate course presuming your highest qualification is the IB. Of course, the IB is in itself below undergraduate :smile:

The OP states they are applying post-graduately, that is in itself the error. The I.B. would lead to an under-graduate application unless there is a higher qualification.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Lionheartat20
I just re-read my post and that part is poorly written!

I meant, you most definitely have to apply for an undergraduate course presuming your highest qualification is the IB. Of course, the IB is in itself below undergraduate :smile:

The OP states they are applying post-graduately, that is in itself the error. The I.B. would lead to an under-graduate application unless there is a higher qualification.

Indeed, there's been a lot of interesting uses of the word 'graduate' so far in this thread!

Quick Reply

Latest