The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2014 Re-applicants/Gap Year

Just a thread for all people who are reapplying for dentistry this year.
Got no offers and only 1 interview last year because of low AS results, yesterday got my grades and banked A*A*A, hopefully will get more interview and an offer this year :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by teen1234
Got no offers and only 1 interview last year because of low AS results, yesterday got my grades and banked A*A*A, hopefully will get more interview and an offer this year :biggrin:

Exactly what happened to me! Same results too! So keep your chin up and if you need any advice or help. Be sure to PM me, I've been there and i know what it's like! Best of luck for the coming year, and congratulations on the fantastic results!
What were your AS results guys?

Why don't you do medicine instead with those results?
Reply 3
Original post by Davelittle
What were your AS results guys?

Why don't you do medicine instead with those results?

Mine were ABBC. What do mean 'those results'? Every dentistry course requires AAA just like medicine(at most universities).
Mine were ABBC. What do mean 'those results'? Every dentistry course requires AAA just like medicine(at most universities).

Well medicine is generally regarded as the better of the two degrees?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Well medicine is generally regarded as the better of the two degrees?

lol. The a level requirement/gcse/ukcat/workexperience is the same for both degrees, so i fail to see how people who arent good enough for medicine think they are good enough for dentistry
(edited 9 years ago)
lol. The a level requirement/gcse/ukcat/workexperience is the same for both degrees, so i fail to see how people who arent good enough for medicine think they are good enough for dentistry

So why do the very brightest all do medicine then?
Reply 7
So why do the very brightest all do medicine then?

haha where are you getting this generalisation from? trinity college cambridge maths? Economics LSE? etc,,, There are plenty of courses with more intelligent/ as intelligent people its not like everyone who is smart wants to study medicine
haha where are you getting this generalisation from? trinity college cambridge maths? Economics LSE? etc,,, There are plenty of courses with more intelligent/ as intelligent people its not like everyone who is smart wants to study medicine

I'm talking about those going into a profession like medicine/dentistry...

Medicine always has the highest stigma and attracts the applicants with the strongest academic backgrounds. Surely you can't argue with that?
Reply 9

Medicine always has the highest stigma and attracts the applicants with the strongest academic backgrounds. Surely you can't argue with that?

The average medical student has the same academic background as the average dental student. I'd agree the top end is slightly skewed but only because cambridge and oxford offer medicine
The average medical student has the same academic background as the average dental student. I'd agree the top end is slightly skewed but only because cambridge and oxford offer medicine

Lets just agree to disagree. :smile:
Reply 11

Believe it or not, people are allowed to have preferences as to which job they prefer. My friends chose medicine because they couldn't stand to look into people's mouths all day, they find the job boring, or they hate their own personal dentists. I chose dentistry because I can't stand to watch people die.

Yes, there's a stigma around doctors/lawyers. But someone who chose a computer science or accounting degree could easily earn more than them in just a matter of years.
Reply 12

Can uni's reject you based on you AS grades. I got AABC and plan to retake my C and B. I though they look more at your p.s and predicted grades :/
Reply 13
Original post by Asfoi
Can uni's reject you based on you AS grades. I got AABC and plan to retake my C and B. I though they look more at your p.s and predicted grades :/

They can reject you if they dont think you can get the predicted grades. If someone has DDDD theyre probably going to get rejected even if they are predicted AAA
Reply 14

thats because everybody has a firm archaic mindset that medicine is the better of the 2 degrees, thus these 'strong' applicants, who obviously have high ambitions, will apply for medicine.
but if you go to ask any maxillofacial surgeon she/he will tell you they are both equally challenging courses.

They're honestly amazing results!! also got ABB, what were your predictions and what subjects did you get each grade. I'm looking to be predicted A*AAA for Maths, Chemistry, Physics and AS Biology which I'm taking this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by HelpTheInnocent
They're honestly amazing results!! also got ABB, what were your predictions and what subjects did you get each grade. I'm looking to be predicted A*AAA for Maths, Chemistry, Physics and AS Biology which I'm taking this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Psychology, Maths, Biology and chemistry and got ABBC respectively. I dropped the A in Psychology and got A*A*A in Maths, Bio and Chem. I was predicted 3As purely on the basis that my teachers had taught me for years so they knew I could get the grades, it was just a matter of working.
HI THERE CURRENTLY 19 AND I AM ON A GAP YEAR AND THIS WAS MY SECOND TIME APPLYING TO STUDY DENTISTRY BUT UNFORTUNATELY I DID NOT GET A PLACE. I DID GET 3/4 INTERVIEWS THIS YEAR AND I CAME VERY CLOSE TO GETTING A OFFER ON ONE OF THE INTERVIEWS BUT MY INTERVIEW SCORE WAS JUST SHORT OF 1 MARK. I AM DECIDING ON WHETHER TO TAKE A 2ND GAP YEAR AND REAPPLY AGAIN OR JUST GO AND STUDY PHARMACY AT UCL AS I HAVE ALREADY GOT AN OFFER FROM THERE. MY GRADES ARE A*AA/a AND I HAVE ALSO DONE THE UKCAT 2 WEEKS AGO AND GOT A SCORE OF 719. AS YOU CAN I AM IN A DILEMMA.
Reply 18
Original post by brainboy123
HI THERE CURRENTLY 19 AND I AM ON A GAP YEAR AND THIS WAS MY SECOND TIME APPLYING TO STUDY DENTISTRY BUT UNFORTUNATELY I DID NOT GET A PLACE. I DID GET 3/4 INTERVIEWS THIS YEAR AND I CAME VERY CLOSE TO GETTING A OFFER ON ONE OF THE INTERVIEWS BUT MY INTERVIEW SCORE WAS JUST SHORT OF 1 MARK. I AM DECIDING ON WHETHER TO TAKE A 2ND GAP YEAR AND REAPPLY AGAIN OR JUST GO AND STUDY PHARMACY AT UCL AS I HAVE ALREADY GOT AN OFFER FROM THERE. MY GRADES ARE A*AA/a AND I HAVE ALSO DONE THE UKCAT 2 WEEKS AGO AND GOT A SCORE OF 719. AS YOU CAN I AM IN A DILEMMA.

From what I gather, graduate entry is much more competitive due to the limited seats. Plus, you have a pretty good ukcat score.

It depends, are you fine with taking a second gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brainboy123

I would take a second gap year, and would aim for a score of 780+ next year, keep everything else the same if you got offers this year though ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest