The Student Room Group

Chemistry A2 Revision

If anyone has gotten an A* before in AQA Chemistry, please may you post your UMS and give me some advice what to look out for.
e.g The style of questions.
What is the difference between an A* student in Chemistry and an A student?
What should i do to get an A*?
Finally what revision guides would you recommend?

Thanks i appreciate the help :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
D12
OP
Anyone? :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by D12
If anyone has gotten an A* before in AQA Chemistry, please may you post your UMS and give me some advice what to look out for.
What is the difference between an A* student in Physics and an A student?

:wink::biggrin:
Reply 3
I got an A* in AQA Chemistry. Seriously bro.... All you need is the text-book and the "bank-croft" notes to do it and then do past-exam questions from older papers. Also, make sure you go to all your lessons and do all the home works. I had the collins revision guide but that book just explains everything in such a really dull, complicated way.
Original post by ynm1
I got an A* in AQA Chemistry. Seriously bro.... All you need is the text-book and the "bank-croft" notes to do it and then do past-exam questions from older papers. Also, make sure you go to all your lessons and do all the home works. I had the collins revision guide but that book just explains everything in such a really dull, complicated way.

what is the bank-croft notes?
Reply 5
D12
OP
Original post by halpme
:wink::biggrin:

-.-
Reply 6
D12
OP
Original post by ynm1

What were the bank croft notes and how do i find them?
Reply 7
Original post by ynm1

Evidently even you don't have a clue what these notes are...
They're the Bancroft notes, from the Bancroft school...
A little bit of Googling and you find a school called Bancroft, not BANKcroft... :rolleyes:.
Search the student room for Bancroft and you find this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1288539
Use the link to download both AS/A2 because the other links don't work...
Original post by halpme
Evidently even you don't have a clue what these notes are...
They're the Bancroft notes, from the Bancroft school...
A little bit of Googling and you find a school called Bancroft, not BANKcroft... :rolleyes:.
Search the student room for Bancroft and you find this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1288539
Use the link to download both AS/A2 because the other links don't work...

I used them for AS, they were great. Still didn't do as well as I'd like, so I'm starting revising now :P
Reply 9
Original post by CJG21
I used them for AS, they were great. Still didn't do as well as I'd like, so I'm starting revising now :P

You only have two weeks left though? It would have been a plan to start revising at the start of the holidays, if not for retakes, for A2! :tongue:
Original post by halpme
You only have two weeks left though? It would have been a plan to start revising at the start of the holidays, if not for retakes, for A2! :tongue:

I meant I'm starting going over the A2 stuff that I have already done, with the exam being next June.
Reply 11
Original post by D12
What is the difference between an A* student in Chemistry and an A student?

Hey, I just got an A* on results day in AQA Chemistry

UMS wise..

Chem 1: 87/100
Chem 2: 119/140
Chem 3T: 44/60
Chem 4: 117/120
Chem 5: 114/120
Chem 6X: 44/60

As you can see I seriously stepped up my game for A2, I didn't even resit any AS modules, and also evidently, my practical skills are abysmal!

The key here is understanding and past papers! I did all the past papers even dating back to 1999 for AQA and all the papers for OCR and Edexcel even though I wasn't on their exam boards (to much criticism).

However you'll realise that all chemistry is the same, doing other exam boards papers means you'll be ready and prepared for unusual questions which differ from the normal style of yours.

For simple Q & A answers I used flash cards, especially useful in colour chemistry for remembering all the different ones.

Best of luck!
Original post by Maccman
Hey, I just got an A* on results day in AQA Chemistry

UMS wise..

Chem 1: 87/100
Chem 2: 119/140
Chem 3T: 44/60
Chem 4: 117/120
Chem 5: 114/120
Chem 6X: 44/60

As you can see I seriously stepped up my game for A2, I didn't even resit any AS modules, and also evidently, my practical skills are abysmal!

The key here is understanding and past papers! I did all the past papers even dating back to 1999 for AQA and all the papers for OCR and Edexcel even though I wasn't on their exam boards (to much criticism).

However you'll realise that all chemistry is the same, doing other exam boards papers means you'll be ready and prepared for unusual questions which differ from the normal style of yours.

For simple Q & A answers I used flash cards, especially useful in colour chemistry for remembering all the different ones.

Best of luck!

You think your practical skills are appalling? I got half way through my EMPA and dropped the bastard crucible full of NaHNO3 onto the floor!

Are you studying chemistry at uni?
Reply 13
Original post by CJG21
You think your practical skills are appalling? I got half way through my EMPA and dropped the bastard crucible full of NaHNO3 onto the floor!

In my EMPA the first step was to transfer a small fixed amount of Bordeaux mixture to a conical flask, I accidentally transferred it to a beaker. And then when I went to put it in the conical flask and rinse it with distilled water, I spilt a quarter of it!

And nope, I hope to study medicine.
Original post by CJG21

My crucible broke 2 times and my lecturer was suprised as only 5% should break. :P
Original post by propagation
My crucible broke 2 times and my lecturer was suprised as only 5% should break. :P

:biggrin: How did it break?
Original post by propagation

I was gutted when mine happened. Entire class in silence just staring at me. It didn't help that the window was wide open and the bunsen had a horizontal flame :P
Original post by CJG21
I was gutted when mine happened. Entire class in silence just staring at me. It didn't help that the window was wide open and the bunsen had a horizontal flame :P

When I was heating it on the bunsen the 2nd time.
The 1st time was when I let it cool to take it's mass and it split in half.

Then I had to do it in another class and took everything so carefully and I was just begging it wouldn't crack and spent a lot of the time searching around the crucible as it was heating for cracks and the wind (I was working buy the window) blew the flame at me and I nearly hit the person behind me transfering the crucible with the tongs. I hated that day so much :P
Original post by Maccman
In my EMPA the first step was to transfer a small fixed amount of Bordeaux mixture to a conical flask, I accidentally transferred it to a beaker. And then when I went to put it in the conical flask and rinse it with distilled water, I spilt a quarter of it!

And nope, I hope to study medicine.

My friend last year by accident got some of the Methyl orange in our titration EMPA in the main bottle of the HCl which some of the class members were using. he stupidly did this when he was transferring a solution with Methly orange supposbly into a waste beaker but without thinking poured it in the HCl bottle.
Well it's safe to say this has gone off topic.

Quick Reply

Latest