The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7640
Original post by Rakas21
If they'd all been the same age when they peaked i bet that Federer would actually have more, until 2009 (28?) he was incredible.

I disagree completely if they were all same age when they peaked then i reckon Nadal would have more. Nadal would be in the best position. With Murray in last position.
Original post by ubi1
Nadal was also really stubborn against Djokovic in 2011 didn't change his tactics at all. But one thing with Rafa is that he can lose to Murray, Federer and Nole knowing he still has H2H advantage so he can live to fight another day.

Now, yes he does have that cushion lol

Difference is that Nadal made the change in 2012 (on clay) itself so straight after those 7 defeats, whilst Federer only decided to attack Nadal's BH more often in 2012, 8 years after their rivalry began. If you watch the 2012 Indian Wells SF, you can clearly see Federer's tactics in play there.
Original post by Krish4791
Yes, and the reason Nadal has found that backhand so regularly is the fact that Federer has not bothered to change his style until now. He never previously tried reversing the situation and attacking Nadal's backhand consistently, and he didn't attack the net or play enough drop shots - if he'd done any more of that he would have had some very important wins under his belt.

Easier said than done. Federer tried attacking the net a lot in the French Open 2008 final, and look how that turned out. :p:
Original post by ubi1
I disagree completely if they were all same age when they peaked then i reckon Nadal would have more. Nadal would be in the best position. With Murray in last position.

Nadal may have had a couple extra, Djokovic would have had literally 1 or 2, and Murray maybe 1. If they all peaked at the same time, Fed and Nadal would have exerted complete superiority over the field (they did that anyway!).
Reply 7644
Now, yes he does have that cushion lol

Difference is that Nadal made the change in 2012 (on clay) itself so straight after those 7 defeats, whilst Federer only decided to attack Nadal's BH more often in 2012, 8 years after their rivalry began. If you watch the 2012 Indian Wells SF, you can clearly see Federer's tactics in play there.

Federer must have looked at the IW match no wonder he played so good.:smile:
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't really think the main problem is mental, although I think that has played a role.

Nadal has been beating Federer from very early in the rivalry. I don't think there's much need to overcomplicate it: Nadal's heavy topspin forehand is very difficult for Federer's backhand to deal with.

Then when these defeats happen regularly, I think that lead to a mental problem against Nadal.

When we exclude clay Fed actually had a 5-2 head to head after the masters cup 07 so at age 27 he was crushing him outside clay.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Easier said than done. Federer tried attacking the net a lot in the French Open 2008 final, and look how that turned out. :p:

Yeah, maybe not on clay then. :tongue: That was madness, Nadal was playing some of his best ever passing shots - I suppose he could have just got into some baseline exchanges and tried finding Rafa's BH, but that match he would not have won anyway.

Better examples are probably Rome 2006, RG 2006, Dubai 2006, MC 2008, Wimby 2008, AO 2009 (definitely!)
Original post by Rakas21
When we exclude clay Fed actually had a 5-2 head to head after the masters cup 07 so at age 27 he was crushing him outside clay.

Meh, perhaps I overestimated the number of times Nadal beat Fed early on in the rivalry.

That said though, his topspin is going to have the greatest effect on clay, so I do still think that Fed's initial problems with Nadal were gameplay-based, rather than mental, given that he struggled the most on clay. (And done the best indoors.)

I think the 2008 FO, 2008 W, and AO 2009 will have had a pretty big mental effect though.
Reply 7648
Yeah, maybe not on clay then. :tongue: That was madness, Nadal was playing some of his best ever passing shots - I suppose he could have just got into some baseline exchanges and tried finding Rafa's BH, but that match he would not have won anyway.

Better examples are probably Rome 2006, RG 2006, Dubai 2006, MC 2008, Wimby 2008, AO 2009 (definitely!)

Okay guys Rafa's weakness BH, Federers weakness BH, Djokovic weakness FH. What is Murray's Weakness FH OR BH?
Original post by ubi1
Okay guys Rafa's weakness BH, Federers weakness BH, Djokovic weakness FH. What is Murray's Weakness FH OR BH?

Probably the 2nd serve and the FH - his BH is very good when it's on.
Reply 7650
Probably the 2nd serve and the FH - his BH is very good when it's on.

Second serve is one of the worst I've ever seen. I hope its Murray vs Djokovic in semis of US open and Federer Vs Nadal Semis that would be dream semi final line up. Do you reckon thats possible.
Reply 7651
Original post by ubi1
Second serve is one of the worst I've ever seen. I hope its Murray vs Djokovic in semis of US open and Federer Vs Nadal Semis that would be dream semi final line up. Do you reckon thats possible.

Could be, Fed would have to be in Ferrer's quarter and then beat him.
Original post by Prendah

Federer can certainly beat Ferrer if that's any consolation for him. Forget the H2H for now, but Ferrer has also been rapidly declining on hard courts since the beginning of the year. After Miami, he's lost quite early at Montreal and Cincinnati to players he would not have lost to. Both are low on confidence, but Fed appears to be getting some back so if they both make it to the QFs at Flushing Meadows, he should win that.
Reply 7653
Original post by Prendah

That shouldn't be too hard for Fed as he is 14-0 against him.
Reply 7654
Federer can certainly beat Ferrer if that's any consolation for him. Forget the H2H for now, but Ferrer has also been rapidly declining on hard courts since the beginning of the year. After Miami, he's lost quite early at Montreal and Cincinnati to players he would not have lost to. Both are low on confidence, but Fed appears to be getting some back so if they both make it to the QFs at Flushing Meadows, he should win that.

If Nadal wins US open he will become the only player to win the Clay slam, Grass slam and Hard slam.:wink:
Original post by ubi1
If Nadal wins US open he will become the only player to win the Clay slam, Grass slam and Hard slam.:wink:

What does that mean?
Reply 7656
What does that mean?

Hard slam meaning winning Montreal-cincy-us open or Aussie open - IW- MI.
What does that mean?

Typical garbage from the fan boy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7658
What are the chances of a Fedal QF draw at the US Open? It has happened at a lot of the tournaments it has been possible this year.
Original post by Prendah
What are the chances of a Fedal QF draw at the US Open? It has happened at a lot of the tournaments it has been possible this year.

Hope it doesn't happen. I hope the Quarter-Finals are like this:

Djokovic vs Berdych
Federer vs Ferrer

Murray vs Wawrinka
Nadal vs Del Potro

This could get us a Fed-Djoko semi and a Murray-Nadal semi, and then any final combination is possible.

Latest