The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sorry I'm replying quite late guys :smile:

Original post by techno836
AQA Chem :woo:

actually whilst you're here again :colone: what are the ISA's like ?? I don't understand Unit 3t and Unit 3x ?

Original post by gracey11
I am an edexecel mathematician and an AQA chemist :biggrin: fire away with any tips you have for me?! I was wondering if there's anything I can so to prepare in the last few weeks of summer??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths advice here, yeah, for C1, literally revise and practice as much GCSE maths as you can, as C1 is basically GCSE with a bit extra such as calculus. Maths is not a very hard subject if you get it, but if not, you need to make sure you either go to you're teacher or read over everything. There's literally not much more to maths, and it feels bad saying that because it may seem a little insulting, but year, practice is key with maths.
Original post by Molly_xox
AQA Chemist here! I'm going to need all the help I can get :lol:

Since you're all AQA chemists, I'll start there. I found chemistry to be the easiest subject for me personally, but my ISA screwed me up (got a D in it) and ended up with a very low A overall. Chemistry isn't too hard a subject if you do the work you need too. I struggled at the beginning of AS, because I did OCR chemistry GCSE, and the content is very different from the get go. I found the best way for me to overcome this was to constantly bug my chemistry teachers to make sure I fully understood it. Chapter 3 (bonding) will be a topic where I would expect everyone of you (no offence) to struggle to get your head around - I know I did, but you have to make sure you go through if carefully and understand the concept. If it ever comes, and you feel like you just don't get it, just PM me and I'll be glad to help with it because I know how frustrating it gets. You'll find once you understand chemistry concepts, it gets a LOT easier, them the next challenge is applying them- that's not too hard as long as you've understood the concepts properly. AQA examiners are very very fussy so include in the exam all relevant info you think could award you points.

On the point of the ISA (3T), you carry out an experiment (either a unit 1 practical such as inorganic titration or a unit 2 practical such as concentration effect on rate) and then you have a written test where section A would focus on the experiment -(results, experimental issues etc), then section B is just a general investigative skill assessment, so you could be given a data, graphs etc, and asked why you'd expect to see x, or what you expect to observe as x is added etc. AQA GCSE chemists are probably at an advantage here.

If you have any other questions, fire away, and oh yeah, chemguide - REMEMBER IT, it is literally one of the best resource available for chemistry. Good luck guys :smile: hopefully you'll love chemistry as much as I did

For techno, 3X is an EMPA, you are less likely to do this compared to the ISA, hence why ISA grade boundaries are so much higher

You guys won't need to do much preparation over the summer for chemistry since the topics are quite different, but practice using moles since it is quite integral to chemistry - understand the concept of moles, and how you can get from it to mass, or to concentration etc
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gretel_
Hi there! :hi:

Hola nueva amiga!:3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 422
Original post by Tibbz2
The hours and days are really dragging on now... Just hurry up!!

I know what you mean! I have a proper countdown on my phone and everything 3 days 11hrs and 17minutes left currently
Reply 423
Original post by Ambulare
Ah nice! I've got to admit I've grown to love the subject at GCSE, before that I wasn't that interested. Buttt, tbf I am going to Berlin in September for AS History which should good so I can't complain :awesome:

The topics I did at gcse really interested me so naturally I fell in love with it haha.... And wow that's cool! I think I go to Brussels in year 13...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 424
Original post by mynameisntbobk
x

Thank you very much! :smile:

Maths advice here, yeah, for C1, literally revise and practice as much GCSE maths as you can, as C1 is basically GCSE with a bit extra such as calculus. Maths is not a very hard subject if you get it, but if not, you need to make sure you either go to you're teacher or read over everything. There's literally not much more to maths, and it feels bad saying that because it may seem a little insulting, but year, practice is key with maths.

Since you're all AQA chemists, I'll start there. I found chemistry to be the easiest subject for me personally, buy my ISA screwed me up (got a D in it) and ended up with a very low A overall. Chemistry isn't too hard a subject if you do the work you need too. I struggled at the beginning of AS, because I did OCR chemistry GCSE, and the content is very different from the get go. I found the best way for me to overcome this was to constantly bug my chemistry teachers to make sure I fully understood it. Chapter 3 (bonding) will be a topic where I would expect everyone of you (no offence) to struggle to get your head around - I know I did, but you have to make sure you go through if carefully and understand the concept. If it ever comes, and you feel like you just don't get it, just PM me and I'll be glad to help with it because I know how frustrating it gets. You'll find once you understand chemistry concepts, it gets a LOT easier, them the next challenge is applying them- that's not too hard as long as you've understood the concepts properly. AQA examiners are very very fussy so include in the exam all relevant info you think could award you points.

On the point of the ISA (3T), you carry out an experiment (either a unit 1 practical such as inorganic titration or a unit 2 practical such as concentration effect on rate) and then you have a written test where section A would focus on the experiment -(results, experimental issues etc), then section B is just a general investigative skill assessment, so you could be given a data, graphs etc, and asked why you'd expect to see x, or what you expect to observe as x is added etc. AQA GCSE chemists are probably at an advantage here.

If you have any other questions, fire away, and oh yeah, chemguide - REMEMBER IT, it is literally one of the best resource available for chemistry. Good luck guys :smile: hopefully you'll love chemistry as much as I did

For techno, 3X is an EMPA, you are less likely to do this compared to the ISA, hence why ISA grade boundaries are so much higher

You guys won't need to do much preparation over the summer for chemistry since the topics are quite different, but practice using moles since it is quite integral to chemistry - understand the concept of moles, and how you can get from it to mass, or to concentration etc

THANKYOU! And I will end up messaging you about chemistry because I know I'll struggle :lol: I've done AQA IGCSE so that might help with the topics, but we've just been told that GCSE is basically all lies so who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 426
Original post by blamethenargles
HEY HEY! By the way I have no idea what exam board I'm going to be on for my subjects because I'm starting at a different college .-. We usually use WJEC though because I'm welsh and all :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem tell me when you find out :biggrin:

Since you're all AQA chemists, I'll start there. I found chemistry to be the easiest subject for me personally, buy my ISA screwed me up (got a D in it) and ended up with a very low A overall. Chemistry isn't too hard a subject if you do the work you need too. I struggled at the beginning of AS, because I did OCR chemistry GCSE, and the content is very different from the get go. I found the best way for me to overcome this was to constantly bug my chemistry teachers to make sure I fully understood it. Chapter 3 (bonding) will be a topic where I would expect everyone of you (no offence) to struggle to get your head around - I know I did, but you have to make sure you go through if carefully and understand the concept. If it ever comes, and you feel like you just don't get it, just PM me and I'll be glad to help with it because I know how frustrating it gets. You'll find once you understand chemistry concepts, it gets a LOT easier, them the next challenge is applying them- that's not too hard as long as you've understood the concepts properly. AQA examiners are very very fussy so include in the exam all relevant info you think could award you points.

I did AQA GCSE :awesome: and thankyou for the clarification :smile:

Original post by blamethenargles
Hola nueva amiga!:3

Posted from TSR Mobile

hello girlfriend friend ??? :lol:
I know :s-smilie: I was struggling for my 4th AS so I was going to do 5 ... but I decided it wasn't worth the risk and I should pick one i'll get an A in :smile: wish I could have done either history/Spanish/psychology though

I asked if I could take French as a 5th but I wasn't allowed :frown: I wish I could do psychology too but my school doesn't offer it -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 428

hello girlfriend friend ??? :lol:

New friend, novia is girlfriend :smile:
Reply 429
I asked if I could take French as a 5th but I wasn't allowed :frown: I wish I could do psychology too but my school doesn't offer it -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's a shame :frown: My school offers loads of stuff :s-smilie: ..doesn't offer law or human Bio though :lol:

Original post by Cynical.
New friend, novia is girlfriend :smile:

dayumn I was close ... it was an easy mistake :biggrin: and I haven't done any Spanish for over a year :lol:
Reply 430

dayumn I was close ... it was an easy mistake :biggrin: and I haven't done any Spanish for over a year :lol:

Aha it was by far the most stressful GCSE I took!
Reply 431

I enjoyed it. Multiple choice always helps:biggrin:
Reply 432

I know haha having 6 hours to write and MEMORISE at least an A4 sheet of paper to write :O ... I still did it, word for word :smug: :lol:
Thank you very much! :smile:

You're very welcome :smile: good luck with your GCSE results
THANKYOU! And I will end up messaging you about chemistry because I know I'll struggle :lol: I've done AQA IGCSE so that might help with the topics, but we've just been told that GCSE is basically all lies so who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's completely fine, it'll be great to go back to AS stuff next year :smile:
If you've done AQA iGCSE, you've got a solid foundation, but I understand what you mean. You'll find a lot of stuff you cover at AS contradicting what you've learnt at GCSE such as electron arrangement and what an electron actually is (physics goes into a LOT of detail with this) but its quite easy to pick up since it makes more sense.

At GCSE, I couldn't distinguish the difference between a covalent bond and an ionic bond, it seems so simple now :tongue:

Good luck for Thursday :smile:

I did AQA GCSE :awesome: and thankyou for the clarification :smile:

Ah right, you'll probably find the ISAs easier than others, so you should do well in them

You're welcome :smile: and good luck for your results on Thursday!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 434
Original post by Red Fox
I enjoyed it. Multiple choice always helps:biggrin:

The language exams are always easy it's the CA's that killed me :tongue:
I keep wondering why I'm subscribed to a yr 12 thread and then I remember that I'm old now.

Old fart.
Original post by Gretel_

I used to stress so much about CAs, then after I messed the first one up (in both languages) I was okay with them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 437
Original post by Gretel_

They're not that bad. Everyone in my school made out to other people that Spanish GCSE was one of the hardest ones when it really isn't.
Reply 438
You're very welcome :smile: good luck with your GCSE results

That's completely fine, it'll be great to go back to AS stuff next year :smile:
If you've done AQA iGCSE, you've got a solid GCSE, but I understand what you mean. You'll find a lot of stuff you cover at AS contradicting what you've learnt at GCSE such as electron arrangement and what an electron actually is (physics goes into a LOT of detail with this) but its quite easy to pick up since it makes more sense.

At GCSE, I couldn't distinguish the difference between a covalent bond and an ionic bond, it seems so simple now :tongue:

Good luck for Thursday :smile:

Ah right, you'll probably find the ISAs easier than others, so you should do well in them

You're welcome :smile: and good luck for your results on Thursday!

I hope so :smile: especially my A2 ISA because I really want to try for an A* :colondollar: and thankyou :smile:

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I keep wondering why I'm subscribed to a yr 12 thread and then I remember that I'm old now.

Old fart.

a 12 year old dog :frown: ... that's very old :frown:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

Old fart.

I know the feeling, next December I'm an adult.
A freaking adult!
D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest