The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York 2013 physics

Hey there, I've confirmed and enrolled for a place on the MPhys physics and astronomy course this year at York and I thought I'd stop by here to say hello. Anybody else doing physics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup, there's now 4 of us that I've seen here on TSR.

I applied for standard BSc Physics with the intention to transfer onto MPhys after the first year :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Hey, I'm also in for Physics with Astrophysics, currently on BSc but might switch to MPhys if I can. What college you thinking? I'm thinking James if I can...
Reply 3
Original post by HypErTwisT
Hey, I'm also in for Physics with Astrophysics, currently on BSc but might switch to MPhys if I can. What college you thinking? I'm thinking James if I can...

James looks good, I'm into music too so Vanbrugh is an option for me. The easy access to astrocampus is tempting though!
Reply 4
Does anybody know if we have a recommended reading list available to view?
Reply 5
Original post by TMcn
Does anybody know if we have a recommended reading list available to view?

It's in the FAQs here: http://www.york.ac.uk/physics/undergraduate/faqs/

scroll down a bit, there are a few books listed. I've only glanced at them, I'll probably have a look at them in the library and buy the ones that I find most useful.
Reply 6
By the way, is there a Facebook group or something for physics freshers?
Reply 7
Original post by WanderlustCam
By the way, is there a Facebook group or something for physics freshers?

There is a facebook group here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/210020385702149/?fref=ts
Reply 8
Hey, I'm coming to York on the Physics with Astrophysics course too. Definitely want to be in James, will have to wait and see when applying!
Bonjour!

I'm going to be doing BSc Theoretical Physics, hopefully transfer to a Masters...

James is convenient but not really my style (also don't like 35 week lets), going to be applying for Langwith!
Reply 10
Mr Einstein, if you don't have a moustache and frizzy white hair I am going to be sorely disappointed :P
Reply 11
Hey, I'm going Physics with Astrophysics BSc, and hoping to get into James College :biggrin:
Original post by WanderlustCam
Mr Einstein, if you don't have a moustache and frizzy white hair I am going to be sorely disappointed :P

haha, it's not something you can force!

I'm totally working on it though I promise...
Reply 13
Original post by Mr Einstein
haha, it's not something you can force!

I'm totally working on it though I promise...

Don't worry, exam stress will turn your hair white sooner than you can blink :wink:

So where has everyone put their accommodation application in for? Halifax here :smile:
Reply 14
I went for James :smile:
Well looks like I didn't have much choice in the end!

Just went for James to join the rest of the Physics gang!
Reply 16
Looks like I'm going to take what I can tomorrow, I can't apply until 1 in the afternoon and I'm supposed to be going to Leeds Fest! Gonna have to delay that to sort accommodation. Hope I don't have to have one of the most expensive ones :frown:(
Yea glad there's a few of us in James xD anyone know blocks? I'm either E or F. Is anyone else not too much of a fan of clubs or is it just me? Hoping I won't be on my own here lol.
Reply 18
I went for James college, i'll be doing Theoretical Physics masters :smile:
Reply 19
Man, I feel like I'm really missing out. I wanted to go James, but by the time I got in there was only catered left (and I wanted self-catered). So I've ended up all the way in Goodricke Heslington East :frown:

Any chance anyone else will be joining me though? :P

Quick Reply

Latest