The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by ameelia22
My email said:

sorry to hear that... don't worry - your application is much more stronger now that you have your achieved grades ... it was lovely of you to share that with us :smile: You're gonna smash it!! :biggrin: I'm sure all of you on here will.
Original post by Pastaferian
AFAIK, if there are no extenuating circumstances, anyone taking more than 2 years to get 4 AS and 3 A2s can only apply to UEA, BSMS, Exeter or Plymouth - it's the same answer as someone retaking A2 exams. The alternative for someone with poor AS grades is to resit some modules during Y13 and hope to end up with AAA+. However, as they might struggle to get AAA+ predictions after a outcome from Y12, they would have to take a gap year and apply on the basis of achieved grades. HTH.

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. An old friend of mine said that was his plan, and I wasn't sure how feasible it even was, but then he doesn't really research these things well.

Original post by TattyBoJangles
No, I'm not entirely sure :p: Funnily enough, it was my 'risky' option this year and ended up being the first one to give me an offer :s-smilie:
They're very open in how they score the interview but that doesn't much help..

I worked full-time from September (didn't turn 18 until August) to March. Spent some of April and May in Kenya, been lovin' life at home since :p: Have spent every single penny of the money that I earnt, but hey.. life's too short to worry about that :rolleyes:

Best of luck in the UKCAT; I'll keep an eye on your progress :wink: & definitely not! You'll all be 'fantastic medic-freshers' next year anyway ;D

I think it's too risky for me to put down personally, although I'd love to go.

Does the year go quickly? I can't wait for March to find out if I am going to university! Wow, what did you end up doing in Kenya? I am thinking of going interrailing in eastern europe for a short break in Jan, maybe quit work then and do a cushy office job for a couple of months until I fly back out later in the year, or just take a couple of weeks break and return to working as a HCA until April and then do my planned Thailand / Sri Lanka volunteering abroad.

Sometimes when I'm wiping up poo, I think how lovely it would be to have a nice cushy admin job where i get to sit on my arse and drink tea all day, but then I think I would be so bored ****less (pun not intended).

Are you not taking any Bank HCA shifts? or does that not apply to you because you worked in a care home?

Cheers :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 922
Anybody had a Sheffield interview in the 2013 cycle and mind sharing how rigorous the interview is? I've got it in 4 days!
I think it's too risky for me to put down personally, although I'd love to go.

Does the year go quickly? I can't wait for March to find out if I am going to university! Wow, what did you end up doing in Kenya? I am thinking of going interrailing in eastern europe for a short break in Jan, maybe quit work then and do a cushy office job for a couple of months until I fly back out later in the year, or just take a couple of weeks break and return to working as a HCA until April and then do my planned Thailand / Sri Lanka volunteering abroad.

Sometimes when I'm wiping up poo, I think how lovely it would be to have a nice cushy admin job where i get to sit on my arse and drink tea all day, but then I think I would be so bored sh*tless (pun not intended).

Are you not taking any Bank HCA shifts? or does that not apply to you because you worked in a care home?

Cheers :biggrin:

It's gone so quickly, it's quite hard to grasp that I got my A-Level results over a year ago! A fair few of my friends didn't end up going to uni, so I've not been alone, and my job took up a lot of time which made it go particularly fast.

I was in Kenya as I had been sponsored by Rotary International to go over there and assess an orphanage - they wanted to raise $50,000 (about £35,000?) and set up a permanent fundraising link. However, I ended up not having a great time of it and although I was meant to spend five weeks there, only ended up staying for three.
The original orphanage was far too well-off to get the $50,000 (and the owners were the most detestable people I've ever met, but that's another story), but I did manage to find another place - a home for sexually abused girls between the age of 4 and 12 - and since I've been back I've given a few presentations to the rotary club and they're going ahead with that project.
So it wasn't such a waste in the end.

Safari was good though - some of my photos can be seen here: http://flickr.com/photos/larajb

Definitely take a holiday or two though! The boyfriend and I went to Rome recently and we loved it - so inter-railing would definitely appeal to me.

Not doing any bank work, no. The manager did say that I can be put on their internal bank scheme, but I decided not to - I'm in the fortunate position of having parents who are able and willing to help me out whilst at uni, so I've just been spending a lot of time with the boyfriend as we'll live 7 hours apart when I move to Scotland..
May go back next summer, though.. I love my car, but it's 14 years old.. :p: I'll see how my finances pan out after a year.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's gone so quickly, it's quite hard to grasp that I got my A-Level results over a year ago! A fair few of my friends didn't end up going to uni, so I've not been alone, and my job took up a lot of time which made it go particularly fast.

I was in Kenya as I had been sponsored by Rotary International to go over there and assess an orphanage - they wanted to raise $50,000 (about £35,000?) and set up a permanent fundraising link. However, I ended up not having a great time of it and although I was meant to spend five weeks there, only ended up staying for three.
The original orphanage was far too well-off to get the $50,000 (and the owners were the most detestable people I've ever met, but that's another story), but I did manage to find another place - a home for sexually abused girls between the age of 4 and 12 - and since I've been back I've given a few presentations to the rotary club and they're going ahead with that project.
So it wasn't such a waste in the end.

Safari was good though - some of my photos can be seen here: http://flickr.com/photos/larajb

Definitely take a holiday or two though! The boyfriend and I went to Rome recently and we loved it - so inter-railing would definitely appeal to me.

Not doing any bank work, no. The manager did say that I can be put on their internal bank scheme, but I decided not to - I'm in the fortunate position of having parents who are able and willing to help me out whilst at uni, so I've just been spending a lot of time with the boyfriend as we'll live 7 hours apart when I move to Scotland..
May go back next summer, though.. I love my car, but it's 14 years old.. :p: I'll see how my finances pan out after a year.

I just can't wait can't wait can't wait, so that's good to hear.

Oh yes, I remember reading about that on the 2013 thread? How awful, but at least it wasn't completely wasted. Your photos are ace, you must have a really good camera, that elephant picture and the one with the leopard - these should be like poster photographs. As I was scrolling down, I saw this other dark wild animal, and I was like, oh my god, what an earth is that, and then I realised it must be your dog :')

Yes, I think I need the breaks to keep myself looking beyond the medicine application, and a job that doesn't stimulate my brain academically... feel free to come with me :tongue: all my friends are going to university, and aren't big on travelling !

My God, 7 hours away from the boyf - your brave!

Currently taking driving lessons myself, so impatient to pass and get my own car too - I think I'll be driving a 2000 Honda though haha, pussy patrol WILLY WATCH , babe wagon, girls in heels driving in crappy wheels, etc.
x .

Hey, I'm planning on going to thailand too, just wondering are you planning to find a organisation to give you a volunteer project or somthing like that?
I just can't wait can't wait can't wait, so that's good to hear.

Oh yes, I remember reading about that on the 2013 thread? How awful, but at least it wasn't completely wasted. Your photos are ace, you must have a really good camera, that elephant picture and the one with the leopard - these should be like poster photographs. As I was scrolling down, I saw this other dark wild animal, and I was like, oh my god, what an earth is that, and then I realised it must be your dog :')

Yes, I think I need the breaks to keep myself looking beyond the medicine application, and a job that doesn't stimulate my brain academically... feel free to come with me :tongue: all my friends are going to university, and aren't big on travelling !

My God, 7 hours away from the boyf - your brave!

Currently taking driving lessons myself, so impatient to pass and get my own car too - I think I'll be driving a 2000 Honda though haha, pussy patrol WILLY WATCH , babe wagon, girls in heels driving in crappy wheels, etc.

Part of the reason I have no money left is because I spent £600 on a new camera lens and battery grip :colondollar:
Aha, yeah, the wild boxer dogs of the Masai Mara :p:

Definitely, try not to let it take over your life! It's hard not to, but once you've got the hard bit (getting interviews / offers), start to enjoy yourself!
One of my friends is going interrailing before going back to uni, I'm so jealous of her ):<

We've been semi-LDR for a year thus far (he's going into his second year now as he, er, didn't need a gap year) so it won't be too much of a shock - although it'll be a long train journey as opposed to an hour's drive for me (he'll fly to Edinburgh and I'll pick him up). Even though I see him most days at the moment and I don't start until September 7th, I'm already looking forward to September 20th when he's coming up for the weekend :woo:

Aha, brilliant :p: I've a 1999 Toyota Yaris, so it's pretty much an old lady car. Can't complain, though - it's never given me any trouble! Can't go wrong with a Japanese car.
Reply 927
Hey guys, when applying for jobs on NHS jobs, what sort of jobs do you think I could go for (someone like me with insignificant experience) and what pay band should I look for? It seems like all the jobs are looking for experienced individuals already.

Had a sneaky look at your photos and they're amazing! :eek: If medicine doesn't work out...
Original post by manupalace
Had a sneaky look at your photos and they're amazing! :eek: If medicine doesn't work out...

Awh, why thank you :smile:
Original post by SuziieB
Hey guys, when applying for jobs on NHS jobs, what sort of jobs do you think I could go for (someone like me with insignificant experience) and what pay band should I look for? It seems like all the jobs are looking for experienced individuals already.

I've never applied through the NHS, but I would imagine the lower bands / pay scales eg "up to £20,000" using keywords such as healthcare assistant / HCA / phlebotomist etc.
What job should I get via the NHS or should i apply through something else?
Reply 932
Original post by cheesypuff
What job should I get via the NHS or should i apply through something else?

NHS is where it goes down. No other site has those jobs unless its the hospitals' own site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just apply through NHS website. Apply for anything thats band 2 or below. You'll get lucky on one. I applied to 10-15 jobs and only got 1 interview and thus job.

I would also remove any obvious indication that you've just finished school, I did this on one application and got an interview.

Also I wouldn't wait forever to find a NHS job, I'd start applying for retail, shop jobs or volunteering whilst your waiting because you don't want to be left doing nothing for half a year whilst you wait for an NHS job.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Richyp22
Just apply through NHS website. Apply for anything thats band 2 or below. You'll get lucky on one. I applied to 10-15 jobs and only got 1 interview and thus job.

I would also remove any obvious indication that you've just finished school, I did this on one application and got an interview.

Also I wouldn't wait forever to find a NHS job, I'd start applying for retail, shop jobs or volunteering whilst your waiting because you don't want to be left doing nothing for half a year whilst you wait for an NHS job.

Does that include GCSE and A-level grades? Oh dear.
Reply 935
Can't find a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Can't find a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could also try local nursing homes / hospices and look on the Bupa website for clinical support worker vacancies (although the private sector will give you a different experience, it's still relevant).
Reply 937
Could also try local nursing homes / hospices and look on the Bupa website for clinical support worker vacancies (although the private sector will give you a different experience, it's still relevant).

Can't find anything! Have tried all of those :frown: but thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Can't find anything! Have tried all of those :frown: but thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I see. Hang on in there, something is likely to turn up! I didn't start my job until September (couldn't even apply until then as I'm an August kid) and still managed to put a fair amount on my PS.

Have you signed up to all of their alerts, so you get an email when a new job becomes available? I still get weekly emails from the NHS telling me which jobs are available in my area.
Reply 939
Need some advice please guys.

I just got a call from my local hospital. About 2 months ago I was interviewed for a Theatre Support Worker post but didn't quite make it and they put me as a reserve. They've just asked me if I would now like the post as they've had someone back out.

Thing is, since then I've already been offered a post at a local care home as a HCA. The CRB and everything has come through for that and I am due to hopefully start in September sometime but haven't yet been given an official start date.

For the TSW post I just asked them if I could think about it and that I'll call them back by tomorrow lunch time.

What should I do? Although the TSW post may be slightly more beneficial in that it is in a hospital setting and I'll get more involved in the medical rather than care side of things (I think, at least, I don't entirely know what the job entails!), I don't really want to let down the people at the care home, especially now that the CRB and everything has come through for that job. I don't even know if, at this stage, I would even be allowed to back out or whatever. I just don't know which job would be better, they both have their pros and cons.

It's just the irony that I spend over 6 months trying to get a HCA job and then two come along at once at the most awkward of times! Any advice would be really really appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending