The Student Room Group

Help with English GCSE answer? I'm scared to death:(

Hi guys I wanted some advice as I am currently panicking over this exam. I just can't stop thinking about this :frown:

Firstly I have concerns over the unit one which is a comprehension with 4 questions. The first 3 I used 8-10 quotes for each, I am worried as many of my classmates have only used quotations for the third question.

Unit 2 I am extremely worried about

The first question was to write a letter to the BBC who are looking for teenagers to appear in a program about their hobbies and interests. These are what I done
- I wrote I am a outcast and I often get bullied for my " gothic " dress sense and this will appeal to audiences as I can give my point of view about how adults encourage children to be unique but they do not realize how hard teenage life actually is.
- I wrote about my insert in music such as Marilyn Manson and I explained how he is seen as the "poster boy for evil" but infact his songs are just covers etc and people judge him by his image. I then went on to say audiences would find this intersting as a large majority of adults pre judge celebrity's who are not mainstream etc
- I then wrote about concerts and how many adults view them as a dangerous place as it is full of drugs and alcohol etc. I then went on to say how these places are a safe environment as security check all bags and are at ever Connor along with paramedics to help if anyone Does get injured. I wrote that this would appeal to parents as it will inform them about what environments these places are etc
- I also wrote about my hobby of video gaming and how they do not corrupt children's minds and they are good to help children escape from the reality and pressure of GCSES and it also helps them relax. I also included to only by games of the right age certificate too.
- I wrote my final paragraph on my school life and to what extent I get bullied and how teachers ignore outcasts such as myself etc. I wrote this would be ideal for me to be on this television show as it could help teachers beat bullying.

My second question was to write a speech on discussing how the government want all children to stay in school/college until they are 18
For this I wrote
- adults say school days are the best days of their life and explain why they feel it
- how people who stay in school will have better jobs meaning not working in the fast food industry
- I wrote about how they would receive EMA and how they can spend that money on video games but not to tell teachers etc.
- I wrote about school food and how they'd get to see their friends daily unlike if they were working.
-'i also wrote about how they are able to call teachers by first names and dress uniquely and then are able to be treated like adults etc.

Thank you for reading this , sorry I am
Just working myself up so much as without a C in this exam I am unable to get into college.

Btw the exam bored is the WJEC and it is also the paper students in wales sat
Thank you:smile:x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Although I am unable to help with the question itself, English was never my specialty...

It would be best if you take the exam and results out of your head for the next 5 days.

Go out with friends, walk the dog, take a day trip to Paris, whatever takes your mind off it as there is nothing you can do now so any stress is unnecessary.

In the long run, especially as you are planning on going to college, your GCSE's will not affect you that much so just get the worry out of your mind however you can :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Dingo749
Although I am unable to help with the question itself, English was never my specialty...

It would be best if you take the exam and results out of your head for the next 5 days.

Go out with friends, walk the dog, take a day trip to Paris, whatever takes your mind off it as there is nothing you can do now so any stress is unnecessary.

In the long run, especially as you are planning on going to college, your GCSE's will not affect you that much so just get the worry out of your mind however you can :smile:

Thanks ill try to distract myself :smile:
Well Monday I'm off to alton towers, Wednesday I'm going to the cinema and with my boyfriend so he can re-enrol in college so i hope that keeps my entertained ... I even have a countdown app on my phone D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Basket case
Hi guys I wanted some advice as I am currently panicking over this exam. I just can't stop thinking about this :frown:

Firstly I have concerns over the unit one which is a comprehension with 4 questions. The first 3 I used 8-10 quotes for each, I am worried as many of my classmates have only used quotations for the third question.

Unit 2 I am extremely worried about

The first question was to write a letter to the BBC who are looking for teenagers to appear in a program about their hobbies and interests. These are what I done
- I wrote I am a outcast and I often get bullied for my " gothic " dress sense and this will appeal to audiences as I can give my point of view about how adults encourage children to be unique but they do not realize how hard teenage life actually is.
- I wrote about my insert in music such as Marilyn Manson and I explained how he is seen as the "poster boy for evil" but infact his songs are just covers etc and people judge him by his image. I then went on to say audiences would find this intersting as a large majority of adults pre judge celebrity's who are not mainstream etc
- I then wrote about concerts and how many adults view them as a dangerous place as it is full of drugs and alcohol etc. I then went on to say how these places are a safe environment as security check all bags and are at ever Connor along with paramedics to help if anyone Does get injured. I wrote that this would appeal to parents as it will inform them about what environments these places are etc
- I also wrote about my hobby of video gaming and how they do not corrupt children's minds and they are good to help children escape from the reality and pressure of GCSES and it also helps them relax. I also included to only by games of the right age certificate too.
- I wrote my final paragraph on my school life and to what extent I get bullied and how teachers ignore outcasts such as myself etc. I wrote this would be ideal for me to be on this television show as it could help teachers beat bullying.

My second question was to write a speech on discussing how the government want all children to stay in school/college until they are 18
For this I wrote
- adults say school days are the best days of their life and explain why they feel it
- how people who stay in school will have better jobs meaning not working in the fast food industry
- I wrote about how they would receive EMA and how they can spend that money on video games but not to tell teachers etc.
- I wrote about school food and how they'd get to see their friends daily unlike if they were working.
-'i also wrote about how they are able to call teachers by first names and dress uniquely and then are able to be treated like adults etc.

Thank you for reading this , sorry I am
Just working myself up so much as without a C in this exam I am unable to get into college.

Btw the exam bored is the WJEC and it is also the paper students in wales sat
Thank you:smile:x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats actually pretty good. Although personally on the second question I wouldn't focus that much on the 'meeting their friends' part because I dont think that matters to the government.
Reply 5
Original post by JanitaTwain
Thats actually pretty good. Although personally on the second question I wouldn't focus that much on the 'meeting their friends' part because I dont think that matters to the government.

It was also basically how to convince people that age why it was a good idea too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
If I were you, for question 2 I would have mentioned how people in education are not represented in unemployment figures, so this new scheme could just be a way of skewing the statistics so they are more favourable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Trouty97
If I were you, for question 2 I would have mentioned how people in education are not represented in unemployment figures, so this new scheme could just be a way of skewing the statistics so they are more favourable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That actually was a really good point! But I had to write either for or against so I couldn't use this for what I wrote

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
That actually was a really good point! But I had to write either for or against so I couldn't use this for what I wrote

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, it seems like your arguments were quite strong though, so assuming your writing style was okay, there's no reason why you can't have done well. Just believe in yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Fair enough, it seems like your arguments were quite strong though, so assuming your writing style was okay, there's no reason why you can't have done well. Just believe in yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I was just distracted with my grandfather passing away right in the middle of my GCSES and therefore I didn't feel I could of preformed aswell as I could of as with grieving etc, I started crying in a few exams too:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Thanks, I was just distracted with my grandfather passing away right in the middle of my GCSES and therefore I didn't feel I could of preformed aswell as I could of as with grieving etc, I started crying in a few exams too:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you not apply for extenuating circumstances, I'm pretty sure this would have fallen under the guidelines. Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Did you not apply for extenuating circumstances, I'm pretty sure this would have fallen under the guidelines. Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope:frown: I revised really hard and I didn't want to feel like I wasted my time, I also had to hide my emotions:/.
What also made it worst was that I also had no study leave to even be at home with family:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Why did you have to hide your emotions? Also, why did you not get any study leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Why did you have to hide your emotions? Also, why did you not get any study leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone else was trying to revise so I didn't want to interrupt them, because my school was awkward :frown: they kept us in until the June half term where my grandfathers funeral was may 16th the day before my birthday too:frown:. I did write a letter to have one day off or so but if you didn't show up they were sending trouent officers around , I didn't want to give my mother the hassle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Fair enough, sounds like you had quite a lot on your plate, hope that you get good results on Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Fair enough, sounds like you had quite a lot on your plate, hope that you get good results on Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank yoy

Posted from TSR Mobile
If i have As and Bs in my english language coursework however, I got a C and D in the reading and writing language exams what would my overall grade be if cousework is 60% and exams are worth 40%? and if it wasnt an overall B what would lowest i need to get in the exam to get an overall B?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending