The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Whats actually happening on the 16th september?

What do we actually do on the 16th of september, when it says our courses start?

Is that when we enroll and get ID cards and timetables etc ?

Do we have any introductory lessons or is that the week after?
Reply 1
Original post by nic-nac
What do we actually do on the 16th of september, when it says our courses start?

Is that when we enroll and get ID cards and timetables etc ?

Do we have any introductory lessons or is that the week after?

Funnily enough I asked the exact same question early this morning. According to StringerBell9;

Original post by StringerBell9
Freshers week starts Monday 16th September this year, following that is induction week (learn how to use Moodle, navaigate the library etc, - Don't go to these lectures) which is also the 2nd week of freshers.

That takes you up to Friday 27th, 29th will be the freshers ball, then Monday 30th is when your lectures will actually kick off.

I hope this helps. Happy binging.

:biggrin:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by Chrisszzyy
Funnily enough I asked the exact same question early this morning. According to StringerBell9;

:biggrin:

I didn't see a similar thread ....

Thanks for repeating the answer you got :biggrin: Are you starting this september? I'm doing marine environmental science, what about you?

I'm asking because my birthday is the 15th, so I don't know what to do. I dont want to get a late train back and be walking round portsmouth in the dark when i don't really know my way round. But i don't want to miss something important the next day.
nic-nac,

If I were you I'd stay for your birthday and get the train on the 16th. You don't -have- to move in on the day, there's nothing important and no matter how much useful info the uni will give you about moving in and that, everyone's still feeling lost.

Shout me if you need anything.
Reply 4
Original post by nic-nac
I didn't see a similar thread ....

Thanks for repeating the answer you got :biggrin: Are you starting this september? I'm doing marine environmental science, what about you?

I'm asking because my birthday is the 15th, so I don't know what to do. I dont want to get a late train back and be walking round portsmouth in the dark when i don't really know my way round. But i don't want to miss something important the next day.

No worries, might be a problem with the forums :biggrin:.

I am yes, I'm doing Computer Networks.

My Birthday is on the 12th but if I were you I'd just get the train in on the 16th (As StringerBell9 said you won't miss much).
Reply 5
My lectures - even though some were still in provisional times - actually started on the week after freshers week, last year there was only one freshers week, even though events still ran until the 30th. I received an induction week timetable (I think I mentioned this already on another thread) which contained times of course/department stuff, and remember that either tuesday or wednesday you will go to a certain building to get your campus card which will allow you access to the library etc.

Lecture times are given on the student portal online once you know your university email and so on. If you're worried about what building to go to, you can always look for the map of the university quarter.
Reply 6
nic-nac,

If I were you I'd stay for your birthday and get the train on the 16th. You don't -have- to move in on the day, there's nothing important and no matter how much useful info the uni will give you about moving in and that, everyone's still feeling lost.

Shout me if you need anything.

Original post by Chrisszzyy
No worries, might be a problem with the forums :biggrin:.

I am yes, I'm doing Computer Networks.

My Birthday is on the 12th but if I were you I'd just get the train in on the 16th (As StringerBell9 said you won't miss much).

Original post by nmr1991
My lectures - even though some were still in provisional times - actually started on the week after freshers week, last year there was only one freshers week, even though events still ran until the 30th. I received an induction week timetable (I think I mentioned this already on another thread) which contained times of course/department stuff, and remember that either tuesday or wednesday you will go to a certain building to get your campus card which will allow you access to the library etc.

Lecture times are given on the student portal online once you know your university email and so on. If you're worried about what building to go to, you can always look for the map of the university quarter.

I've just got my welcome pack. I have to be at Anglesea building at 9am on the 16th to register.
my birthday is on the 16th and my introductory lecture is at 11am :-( lucky me. hoping it will be sort of quick and that's all i'll have to do that day as i think my family are coming down to see me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by melissabishopx
my birthday is on the 16th and my introductory lecture is at 11am :-( lucky me. hoping it will be sort of quick and that's all i'll have to do that day as i think my family are coming down to see me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know that ? I have something at 9am but i thought that was sorting paperwork out, not a intro lecture !?!?!?
Reply 9
I don't want to sound dim but this day is for introductions to our course right? so we will like meet people and the lecturers??? Im seriously freaking out here. :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by Fuzzlepuff
I don't want to sound dim but this day is for introductions to our course right? so we will like meet people and the lecturers??? Im seriously freaking out here. :confused:

From what i can see it's sorting out paperwork, making sure you're on the right course, your details are correct, giving you ID ...etc etc
Original post by nic-nac
I've just got my welcome pack. I have to be at Anglesea building at 9am on the 16th to register.

Doubt it
Reply 12
Doubt it

I do, my letter says;

date and time : monday 16/09/12 09:00
Building : Anglesea Building
Room : A2.08
Original post by nic-nac
How do you know that ? I have something at 9am but i thought that was sorting paperwork out, not a intro lecture !?!?!?

well it says induction programme to get your timetable and meet people, so i don't think it will be learning lecture as such, i just didn't know what else to call it hahah. it's on my letter i got through the post with registration info on it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Go to as many of the lectures in the first few weeks as possible, if only to meet your coursemates! Some are useful! (The first library session was pointless! The second wasn't!).

Depending on your department, you'll have to go to a certain building in Freshers Week to collect your Campus Card. (GO EARLY! Avoid the queues! Queued for 20 mins in one queue to only sit down for a second and confirm my name, I was then told to stand in another queue! For another 20 mins :/)

You should have a 2 hr session with your Tutor, and introduce yourself with your course mates. Meeting your tutor is very important! They will be the one writing your reference when you leave! (You might think - that's 3/4 years away! - If something comes up and you need to leave after Year 1 then you'll need a good reference!) They also have links to industries etc... They may also be your tutor for other units, so you could potentially be seeing them for 4 hours a week!

Take a planner/Diary to this. You will get a lot of different dates over late September/October for submission deadlines, Oral exams etc...BE ORGANISED!

You should have a lecture session for each unit you do, these will probably not last the entire hour, they will go over what you are learning, what they expect from you and your exams...

You will be given A LOT of paper, buy a folder and a hole punch! You will have a handbook for each Unit, so no point in writing down dates of exams until closer to the time

My top tip is to be organised, from the very beginning, keep on top of reading, outside work etc... and you will find the looming deadlines not too scary!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending