The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading Accommodation

hi guys!

So i got into Reading to study pharmacy and need to pick my accommodation.

I want to have a standard en suite but don't have a clue what one to pick.
I'd like a nice big one, nice scenery (benyon?) and for it to be sociable! Also, preferably a flat rather than corridors.

I also play the guitar so am i allowed to take it with me? it's an electric...

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey mate

I'm looking for an ensuite room too. I'm going to go for either St Georges or Sherfield. Benyon is meant to be a bit quiet (from what I've read on here anyway). I play guitar too and will def be taking my electric. Only just told my band mates that I'm leaving my band - I'm from Bolton so way too far to go back for gigs. Where will you be coming from?

James
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jcarty
Hey mate

I'm looking for an ensuite room too. I'm going to go for either St Georges or Sherfield. Benyon is meant to be a bit quiet (from what I've read on here anyway). I play guitar too and will def be taking my electric. Only just told my band mates that I'm leaving my band - I'm from Bolton so way too far to go back for gigs. Where will you be coming from?

James

ive ready that about it too! I reckon I'm going to put st George's then Benyon down. Around exam time I'd love a bit of peace and quiet haha!
Ahh that's heartbreaking man! I'm sure there will be loads of other folks who want to make a band at uni! I'm coming down from a little place near Cambridge.
Reply 3
To be honest you can't really say one hall is necessarily quieter than any other as it depends on the year group tbh - could have a right rowdy bunch in Benyon this year you never know :wink:

I think a lot of the ensuite room halls will be full already so be wary of this! Btw if you haven't considered catered I recommend it - such a convinience and one less thing for you to worry about :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Trix465
To be honest you can't really say one hall is necessarily quieter than any other as it depends on the year group tbh - could have a right rowdy bunch in Benyon this year you never know :wink:

I think a lot of the ensuite room halls will be full already so be wary of this! Btw if you haven't considered catered I recommend it - such a convinience and one less thing for you to worry about :smile:

Oh god, I hope they have some ensuite room halls left!
I applied through clearing and I still haven't got my confirmation yet.
I really have my heart set on a Townhouse room or any premium ensuite rooms. (I need a big bed for when boyfriend stays over :wink: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by eselle
Oh god, I hope they have some ensuite room halls left!
I applied through clearing and I still haven't got my confirmation yet.
I really have my heart set on a Townhouse room or any premium ensuite rooms. (I need a big bed for when boyfriend stays over :wink: )

Haha thats part of the fun having a tiny single and sharing it. In my final year at Durham my (ex)girlfriend and I coped fine with the tiniest bed, you just become very good at spooning!

Also from my first uni experience I remember I really wanted an ensuite but didn't get one at Durham and in the end its really quite nice to have shower queue chats and bonding! You barely notice not having an ensuite and I know by the end of my first year I never felt like I still wished I had one!

Edit: I'm really looking forward to comparing Reading accommodation to my college at Durham :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jakebird
ive ready that about it too! I reckon I'm going to put st George's then Benyon down. Around exam time I'd love a bit of peace and quiet haha!
Ahh that's heartbreaking man! I'm sure there will be loads of other folks who want to make a band at uni! I'm coming down from a little place near Cambridge.

I applied this morning and there was only Sherfield and Benyon left. I had to put catered down for my last three choices coz there wasn't anything else left. Oh well, at least I've got the uni place - I'll settle for whatever accomm I get as long as it's on campus ;o)

James
Reply 7
Any ideas on how long it'll be until find out what accommodation we got if we applied this morning?
Reply 8
What accommodation is left? Reading have been stupid with my application and I can't apply until 11:30am today :frown:
Is there any premium ensuite left?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by AlexDunne2
Any ideas on how long it'll be until find out what accommodation we got if we applied this morning?

For anyone interested those who have applied late due to clearing or Reading being their insurance choice the Uni told me today that they should get back us within 5 working days
Reply 10
For anyone interested those who have applied late due to clearing or Reading being their insurance choice the Uni told me today that they should get back us within 5 working days

I applied at about 11:50am today, and got a reply at 3:19pm.
In my additional information section I complained about how I kept getting technical difficulties and I was on the phone to them so much asking why it wasn't working. That may have helped with my quick application? Getting stressed about last minute clearing accommodation paid off in the end.
Reply 11
What did the reply say? What accommodation you're in?
Reply 12
What did the reply say? What accommodation you're in?

By reply, I meant offer >_<
I'm staying in Stenton Halls :smile: looking forward to it so much
Reply 13
i applied as soon as it opened and there were two standard ensuites and two premium then the rest catered. really want an ensuite.

I thought accommodation was provided on a first come first serve basis :frown: really hope i get a decent place. haha

Tbh anything will do as long there is a decent group of people around in the halls!

Has anyone bought a freshers wristband yet? The line up looks quite cool!
Reply 14
Yeah, I thought it would be first come first served too :frown:

By the wristband do you mean this - http://www.rusu.co.uk/ents/event/1161/

?
Reply 15
thats made me slightly worried now! might give them a phone call tomorrow morning.

Yes that is what i meant. I ordered mine yesterday and i believe it is a wristband not a pass... not to sure though so don't hold me to it haha
Reply 16
I might do the same, I'm in the same position as you. Let me know in here if you do though and what they say!

I think I'll wait until I find out my accommodation before buying one just because I believe some halls have there own events ect...
Yeah, I thought it would be first come first served too :frown:

By the wristband do you mean this - http://www.rusu.co.uk/ents/event/1161/

?

I'd advise waiting until you get to Reading! JCRs organize their own Freshers Week agenda and it's much better to go out with people in your hall and get to know everyone. The JCRs often take their hall freshers to some of the union events, so you won't miss out.
Reply 18
Original post by just_smurfy
I'd advise waiting until you get to Reading! JCRs organize their own Freshers Week agenda and it's much better to go out with people in your hall and get to know everyone. The JCRs often take their hall freshers to some of the union events, so you won't miss out.

ahh... well i possibly just wasted some money! haha im sure it'll come in handy, the masquerade ball looks rather cool and a few of the other nights.. it's over two weeks so! my eagerness has caught me out haha
Original post by jakebird
hi guys!

So i got into Reading to study pharmacy and need to pick my accommodation.

I want to have a standard en suite but don't have a clue what one to pick.
I'd like a nice big one, nice scenery (benyon?) and for it to be sociable! Also, preferably a flat rather than corridors.

I also play the guitar so am i allowed to take it with me? it's an electric...

Thanks in advance!

I stayed in Stenton for my first year although its pretty pricey I 100 % think its worth it. The room is fantastic and spacious you have a lovely bathroom aswell and I really enjoyed it. Your in a flat of about 10. The best thing about the park groups are that your halls are really close together so ie in freshers it was amazing as there was all of stenton, stenton townhouses and childs hall going together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending