The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No hopeful chemical engineers? :redface:

All alone! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Yep, because Oxford were being annoying by not accepting a medicine PS or letting me write a chemistry one :tongue: I don't blame them though tbh

Where abroad? I'd love to do my research project in industry :biggrin: but I may just apply for the BSc for now

At least you've got 2 drafts done, I need to actually start thinking about what I'd write.

Thank you :smile:

Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by x-Sophie-x
No hopeful chemical engineers? :redface:

All alone! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just plumbing for chemists.
Ellie Goulding's at number 1 in the official charts with 'Burn'.

I'm so happy right now, I just want to thank everyone who's supported her, her first ever UK number 1, and surely not her last.

I'm quite a big fan of Goulding too! :h:
Reply 644
Original post by CJG21
Clearly chemistry is the best because it's right in the middle.

What kind of logic is that?

I'd doubt you'd see chemistry applied to everything whilst nearly everything literally contains an element of mathematics. I'm not playing war of the subjects here but you clearly can't say maths is crap when it lays the foundations for many of the your ''good'' subjects.

fair enough you have an opinion though
Yep, because Oxford were being annoying by not accepting a medicine PS or letting me write a chemistry one :tongue: I don't blame them though tbh

Where abroad? I'd love to do my research project in industry :biggrin: but I may just apply for the BSc for now)

:colonhash: Durham!:woo:

France? :dontknow: for now :wink:
Original post by CJG21
Where are you thinking of applying?

I'm only applying for chemistry at Durham. My other choices are medicine

How about you?
Original post by justanotherindigo
I'm quite a big fan of Goulding too! :h:

:woo: that's really good to hear :biggrin:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:colonhash: Durham!:woo:

France? :dontknow: for now :wink:

France :redface: pretty random location
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Robbie242
What kind of logic is that?

I'd doubt you'd see chemistry applied to everything whilst nearly everything literally contains an element of mathematics. I'm not playing war of the subjects here but you clearly can't say maths is crap when it lays the foundations for many of the your ''good'' subjects.

fair enough you have an opinion though

We don't need any more mathematicians because all of the needed maths has been done. Chemistry is a relatively new science, and we need lots of chemists.

And I don't actually hate maths, if I wasn't wanting to do chemistry at uni I'd do maths.

:O I hope you don't take the place of someone (me) who wants to do chemistry there.

And France would be a great place to study chemistry, chemistry is massive on the continent.
Reply 649
Original post by CJG21
We don't need any more mathematicians because all of the needed maths has been done. Chemistry is a relatively new science, and we need lots of chemists.

And I don't actually hate maths, if I wasn't wanting to do chemistry at uni I'd do maths.

How naive is that actual statement you just made... We still don't understand Prime Numbers fully, we still haven't proved true/false several conjectures such as the Goldbach conjecture, we still haven't got the technology for machines to produce every theorem in the world - we still need mathematicians because computers aren't an appropriate substitute for the mathematicians creative flare.

Your other posts seemed to indicate that you did.

Also sorry to burst your bubble but mathematicians are still in greater demand than chemists

Please pick up a book about maths before you make radical assumptions that now mathematicians aren't needed. :colonhash:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CJG21
It's just plumbing for chemists.

I know :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How naive is that actual statement you just made... We still don't understand Prime Numbers fully, we still haven't proved true/false several conjectures such as the Goldbach conjecture, we still haven't got the technology for machines to produce every theorem in the world - we still need mathematicians because computers aren't an appropriate substitute for the mathematicians creative flare.

Your other posts seemed to indicate that you did.

Please pick up a book about maths before you make radical assumptions that now mathematicians aren't needed. :colonhash:

None of that stuff is actually necessary to know though. It's nowhere near as important as any of the things that are being done in any of the scientific fields.
Original post by CJG21
We don't need any more mathematicians because all of the needed maths has been done.

Bro, do you even Navier-Stokes?

It pays miles more than chemistry though :frown: That's irritating.
Reply 654
Original post by Felix Felicis
Bro, do you even Navier-Stokes?

Brah hes clearly blind if he thinks such a thing. Even his lovely subject Chemistry requires a significant amount of maths post a-level.
Original post by CJG21
It pays miles more than chemistry though :frown: That's irritating.

Haha, yaay.
The course is longer too though (I think).

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about you?

Yes, extremely random for someone to want to speak French :lol:
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Haha, yaay.
The course is longer too though (I think).

Posted from TSR Mobile

What courses are you looking at?
Brah hes clearly blind if he thinks such a thing. Even his lovely subject Chemistry requires a significant amount of maths post a-level.

I do know that.
Original post by CJG21
:O I hope you don't take the place of someone (me) who wants to do chemistry there.

And France would be a great place to study chemistry, chemistry is massive on the continent.

I doubt I'm even going to get an offer since its already competitive there. Hopefully I don't have to either, but I do actually love chemistry as well. Where else are you planning on applying?

Wouldn't imagine chemistry to be large there, at least I know now

Latest