The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni: Official Students 13/14!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callmehayleyy
i have that website favourited! and many others, pretty religiously went round saving all the useful stuff! and york st john! (oooh i know lancaster-york) :L which was what i was set on. then i did well. now i'm going to lancaster WHICH looks brilliant, i mean i didn't go inside the buildings or anything, but drove around the campus, and then into lancaster which seems lovely! i'm sure i'll get my bearings soon.
i looked at Lancaster ages ago (i've been looking for unis since like year 10!) but obviously when i saw it was AAB (i think) i chucked the prospectus in the bin! who knew! haha. proper mental. where abouts are you coming from? it's a 2 hour drive or the train for me, not sure what i'm doing yet! haha

Haha I've already made a list of all the events I should go to, freshers is 6 weeks away but I'm so excited for it! Ah my boyfriend's going to York St John so I'll be visiting there at some point :smile: Coming to Lancaster from York, you're on the right side now :tongue:

I've been on 2 open days and the uni itself is really nice, the linguistics department is also great and all the staff seem really knowledgeable and passionate about their subject, which is great. Haha at first I was like "how on earth am I meant to get AAB?!" but then AS results were better than I was expecting so it was full steam ahead with my application!

I'm from Bolton, so it's about an hour's drive and only 40-45 minutes on the train, which means it's pretty easy for me to get home if I want to :smile: 2 hour drive isn't that bad, at least you're not coming from all the way down south and having a 4-5 hour drive like some people :tongue:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 181
Original post by eimmas
Awesome! :biggrin: I was at Ballakermeen. What course are you doing?

Chances are we have never met then! I'm studying Finance and Management Studies, what about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 182
Got my accomodation email and I've chosen Grizedale Standard as my first choice and Furness Standard as my second. Don't really mind what I get!
Reply 183
If anyone has any questions about the uni/course/city or anything really feel free to ask :tongue:. (I'm going to be starting my second yr!!)
Reply 184
Got into Cartmel :biggrin:
Reply 185
Original post by TLK
If anyone has any questions about the uni/course/city or anything really feel free to ask :tongue:. (I'm going to be starting my second yr!!)

How are the gyms in the area?
Are they expensive?
Do they allow powerlifting? (deadlifts etc.)

May be very specific questions but Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting are my hobbies xD

Also do Lancaster insurance offer holders have to look for private accommodation? I did apply for accommodation long ago but heard insurance offer holders don't get places in halls :frown: pretty gutted about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Reply 186
Original post by MMAGuy
How are the gyms in the area?
Are they expensive?
Do they allow powerlifting? (deadlifts etc.)

May be very specific questions but Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting are my hobbies xD

Also do Lancaster insurance offer holders have to look for private accommodation? I did apply for accommodation long ago but heard insurance offer holders don't get places in halls :frown: pretty gutted about that.

I've never actually been to the gym although I'm planning to join it this year!
Yeah it was recently refurbished, here's the website - http://sportscentre.lancs.ac.uk/
Depends on what package you get - http://sportscentre.lancs.ac.uk/membership-and-prices/ but its cheaper for students :biggrin:

I know that they allow deadlifts since one of my friends was talking to me about them beating the own record or something. There may be rules about it on the website.

I'm also assuming your into MMA because of your name?
Course: LLB Law and Criminology (3 years)
Offer: AAA
Results: A*AAA
College: I got into Furness Standard I've already started buying stuff!! And I'm brining my N64 :biggrin:
Reply 188
Yeah sorta, more kickboxing and weapons training, would be awesome if they had an American style kickboxing place there xD

But I love all boxing/martial arts related sports, in terms of martial arts I've only ever done Taijutsu but am open to all :smile:

Yeah sounds awesome that you'll be starting at the gym, be sure to do a ton of research, you don't want to be one of those guys that go 7 times a week with no workout plan or idea of what is good form and what isn't :tongue:

Reply 189
Original post by LBraley
Chances are we have never met then! I'm studying Finance and Management Studies, what about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not, haha. I'm studying Financial Maths, which is effectively a maths degree with a minor in finance, so chances are we may end up sharing a lecture or two... I think I just managed to find you on Facebook, so if you have a friend request from a Sammie, I'm just letting you know that that's me! :P
Reply 190
Original post by TLK

Have you had a chance to check out any places for live music? I'm quite interested to see what the live music scene is like in Lancaster :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by MMAGuy
Yeah sorta, more kickboxing and weapons training, would be awesome if they had an American style kickboxing place there xD

But I love all boxing/martial arts related sports, in terms of martial arts I've only ever done Taijutsu but am open to all :smile:

Yeah sounds awesome that you'll be starting at the gym, be sure to do a ton of research, you don't want to be one of those guys that go 7 times a week with no workout plan or idea of what is good form and what isn't :tongue:

There is a kickboxing society. I used to go to it, its alright but I didn't really learn much. There's also a Brazilian jiu-jitsu which was recently made which is really good! There are lots of martial arts societies (I go to bjj and muay thai) which are both instructor taught so you might enjoy those. Yeah I've been doing a lot of looking up and learning to eat healthy. Been watching a lot of hodgetwins videos on youtube lol.

Original post by eimmas
Have you had a chance to check out any places for live music? I'm quite interested to see what the live music scene is like in Lancaster :smile:

A lot of the campus bars do live music from bands in the uni. Off campus I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lancs didn't since it is really small.
Reply 192
Original post by TLK
There is a kickboxing society. I used to go to it, its alright but I didn't really learn much. There's also a Brazilian jiu-jitsu which was recently made which is really good! There are lots of martial arts societies (I go to bjj and muay thai) which are both instructor taught so you might enjoy those. Yeah I've been doing a lot of looking up and learning to eat healthy. Been watching a lot of hodgetwins videos on youtube lol.

A lot of the campus bars do live music from bands in the uni. Off campus I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lancs didn't since it is really small.

Haha nice. The hodgetwins, frank yang, matt ogus, strength camp, scooby so much good stuff on YouTube.

Reply 193
Original post by Orthrus
Haha, yeah i guess i see how it might be a bit weird to have been in the same college and everything, but still how handy to be at the same uni :tongue: Ahh, i'll be fine! I think i've watched enough bear grylls to find my way around a Uni campus - haha, these are some famous last words, if i've ever heard any :L Oh and there's freshers to look forward to too!

Yeah it is pretty handy! I'm sure you will be fine :') Aaaah im so excited to just be there, less than six weeks now! Lots of people I know are going to other universities which start earlier than lancaster, going to drive me mad seeing all them have their freshers weeks before us!
Reply 194
Original post by eimmas
Probably not, haha. I'm studying Financial Maths, which is effectively a maths degree with a minor in finance, so chances are we may end up sharing a lecture or two... I think I just managed to find you on Facebook, so if you have a friend request from a Sammie, I'm just letting you know that that's me! :P

Nice, yeah well we probably will then! Yeah I had a feeling it was you... Saw the lancaster uni stuff which was a bit of a give away! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dreadpiraterach
Haha I've already made a list of all the events I should go to, freshers is 6 weeks away but I'm so excited for it! Ah my boyfriend's going to York St John so I'll be visiting there at some point :smile: Coming to Lancaster from York, you're on the right side now :tongue:

I've been on 2 open days and the uni itself is really nice, the linguistics department is also great and all the staff seem really knowledgeable and passionate about their subject, which is great. Haha at first I was like "how on earth am I meant to get AAB?!" but then AS results were better than I was expecting so it was full steam ahead with my application!

I'm from Bolton, so it's about an hour's drive and only 40-45 minutes on the train, which means it's pretty easy for me to get home if I want to :smile: 2 hour drive isn't that bad, at least you're not coming from all the way down south and having a 4-5 hour drive like some people :tongue:

i don't have a clue! i'm just gonna wait till i get there and see what everyone else is doing :') haha it was a lovely uni, but statistically lancaster is better, so if i get to go to a better uni, i'm gonna. york is the more beautiful city though :wink: and i know, i feel sorry for people who have to go all that way it's literally eye watering i just hope i don't get homesick! and ahh that's good to know :smile: i hope the german teachers are the same! i'm optimistic though :smile: and haha oh god no my AS results were dismal! i got BCD! but then i changed that to ACB at a-level so i applied for adjustment and voila! i think i was very lucky lancaster dont require german a level for german studies and linguistics, and that they offered me a place but clearing grades were BBB. 6 weeks... so far away! (i was supposed to be starting on the 16th of september so i quit my job! LOL!)
Reply 196
Original post by LBraley
Nice, yeah well we probably will then! Yeah I had a feeling it was you... Saw the lancaster uni stuff which was a bit of a give away! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Darn it, what a giveaway! Have you had your accommodation offer yet?
Reply 197
Original post by sw95
I haven't heard anyone with replies from furness so they probably haven't sent theirs out yet. I'm hoping we'll get to know next week sometime.

Where are you coming from? I'm from Leeds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there
I'm coming from Leeds too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Original post by eimmas
Darn it, what a giveaway! Have you had your accommodation offer yet?

I know! Yeah I got it at 4:30 so I've paid my deposit, I'm in Pendle college staying in a standard room. Have you had yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 199
Original post by HannahS95
Yeah it is pretty handy! I'm sure you will be fine :') Aaaah im so excited to just be there, less than six weeks now! Lots of people I know are going to other universities which start earlier than lancaster, going to drive me mad seeing all them have their freshers weeks before us!

Haha, I think everywhere starts earlier than Lancaster! Same for me, lots of my friends went to northumbria and sunderland so they're all going to partying really nearby as well :L Have you seen the freshers timetable for County? It sounds like a good time :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending