The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
My results were rather surprising - As in the subjects (Classics and Computing) I thought I would get Bs or worse in, and Bs in the subjects I thought I would gets As in (English and History)! Certainly I think they have marked my History exam harshly, although the B for English may be somewhat fair.
Original post by S4LM4N
I worked to the most of my capacity, dear.

Most of your capacity?

You didn't, because you didn't get the grades you wanted.

Original post by SyedaK
I'll mkae sure I tell you my A2 grades. I've already started revising everyday, setting several tasks to complete by the day. If that's not working hard, then I don't know what it.

Let's see then shall we?
Reply 402
Original post by im so academic
Most of your capacity?

You didn't, because you didn't get the grades you wanted.

Let's see then shall we?

We shall see in August 2014. Now I've got something to work towards!
Original post by Deziah
This is the exact reason why I think Michael Gove made a very stupid decision scrapping January exams. It seems like he wants to filter out the lazy people from getting into university, and stopping resits for those who don't work hard enough in the first place.

How is that a bad thing?

Yet, I can see so many students who genuinely worked incredibly hard over the year but have ended up with a result that they aren't happy with at all. Students are actually paying the ridiculous prices to get their script back and for remarks because they are generally at a loss at what happened. I can see so many students who are motivated to turn their results around, even though they worked incredibly hard and they are disheartened by their results, they're still determined to turn it around. I think we can all agree that learning all the content for an exam, revising it and then doing past papers can really take it out of you and having to resit just means you have to go through it all again - but thanks to Gove's wonderful plan, students now have to remember all the content to resit an exam, that they initially worked very hard for, a year later

Could've worked harder!

Luckily I am very happy with my results, but a few of my module results made me realise how deceiving these exams can be. I started revision very early for F322 and worked harder for that exam that I did for any other - yet it was the result that shocked me seen as it was significantly lower than what I was expecting, despite the fact it was the exam I was the most confident with overall. It's natural to be disheartened, but I think a lot of us students eventually get over that and realise that to show our potential then we will have to work hard again and resit - but thanks to Gove's brilliant plan, we have to wait a whole year and add to the pressure in June. I really wish he could see the problems he is creating - he isn't filtering out lazy people, he is stopping motivated and determined students from fulfilling their potential. Making students do all the year's exams in on month doesn't test how intelligent they are, it just puts them under a lot of pressure and tests how many off days they have.

Sorry for the random Gove rant, needed to vent my anger. :wink:

What's your solution then, missy?
Reply 404
How is that a bad thing?

Could've worked harder!

What's your solution then, missy?

Very harsh but very true @ line 2. I worked since September and got 4As because I gave it my all

Didn't get the 90+ average though, I can see Cambridge slipping away, what results did you get isa?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 405
Original post by MeganRok
24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard. I worked for months and months, and still only achieved BBBC, which isn't my best and it has altered my career plans greatly to the point where i'm about to give up.

Any else finding this year really tough? I honestly feel like i've failed myself, my family and even my school.

:frown:

I thought they were pretty tough, especially Core 2 and Mechanics 1 exam! Though, I got CCCE and i've been kicking myself since (Want to study Chemistry at Nottingham/Southampton which are ABB or so)

You did well, and you're in a strong position for A2, you can retake a module or so to bump that C up, but normally A2 is where most of the grade changes are made (Or so i've been told)

People, you don't need straight A's in your first year to get good grades to apply to uni! Not every uni student got AAAA in their first year! Though, in my case, i'm likely to retake the first year of college, so i'm not an example :P

Though, Im So Academic; I got UUE in Jan, bumped up to CCCE in Summer, I massively underestimated AS. Whats your opinion on that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 24hoursmiles

Hi, where did you find the information for requesting a script back and the deadline?

our school has a bunch of remark forms , and on the forms were the information for the various different EAR services available :smile:

so if you need any info , just ask and i can tell you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
wondering if I should remark one of my geography papers on edexcel.. Seems weird that unit 2 I got an A 80/80 ums but my unit 1 was only a C which left me with a B overall :confused:
Reply 408
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
AS level isn't GCSE guys, you have to redefine what you mean by 'working hard'. Studying hard 3 weeks before an exam doesn't cut it, unless you are exceptional.
I studied hard 1 day before my M2 exam(3pm - 2am) and got 83/100. I also studied 2 days before my Physics final exam (10 hours a day) and got an A. And I'm hardly exceptional.
Are you sure you worked that hard?

Why not apply to Warwick Imso? :colonhash:
Original post by Namige
I studied hard 1 day before my M2 exam(3pm - 2am) and got 83/100. I also studied 2 days before my Physics final exam (10 hours a day) and got an A. And I'm hardly exceptional.

I did the same for Maths, but Maths doesn't apply to what I said, probably the only subject which doesn't, didn't think I needed to explain that though. So hush :p: And Physics is pretty much maths for retards, at AS level

*studying maths at warwick, so not entirely clueless*
Reply 411
Original post by Namige

Rather than being exceptional, you're *lucky* I don't know anyone that did that and had that outcome. I stuided for 8 exams from March up until my exams I didn't cut a grade a wanted.

You post didn't really reply, it just seemed you wanted to be that guy, sorry.
Reply 412
Original post by Namige

Well done want a cookie? I got 100 in C2 because I studied since January
Original post by 24hoursmiles
Im in the same situation!!!

What exam board did you do??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sam_Chem
Rather than being exceptional, you're *lucky* I don't know anyone that did that and had that outcome. I stuided for 8 exams from March up until my exams I didn't cut a grade a wanted.

You post didn't really reply, it just seemed you wanted to be that guy, sorry.

He wasn't lucky, but he isn't exceptional either, Maths AS is just really piss easy for some people. Doesn't mean anything :p:
Reply 415
He wasn't lucky, but he isn't exceptional either, Maths AS is just really piss easy for some people. Doesn't mean anything :p:

In my opinion he was lucky, didn't do well in AS maths this year, Mechanics threw me off (I could answer questions, I just didn't get to grips with working out what the question was asking!) and I need to get a B/A in Maths to apply for Chemistry :P
Original post by Sam_Chem
In my opinion he was lucky, didn't do well in AS maths this year, Mechanics threw me off (I could answer questions, I just didn't get to grips with working out what the question was asking!) and I need to get a B/A in Maths to apply for Chemistry :P

Is this M1? Try Mymaths, a very good site I used when I was studying M1, almost 2 years ago *_* Helped me get 97 UMS iirc xD Gogogo! Or, get your teachers to purchase it if they don't already, great site.
Reply 417
Is this M1? Try Mymaths, a very good site I used when I was studying M1, almost 2 years ago *_* Helped me get 97 UMS iirc xD Gogogo! Or, get your teachers to purchase it if they don't already, great site.

I didn't use Mymaths, just to CGP book, extra maths sessions at college and all the past papers I could get my hands on!

Since i'm likely to be retaking the first year, and we have MyMaths, I think i'll give it a go!
Original post by PromiseKim
What exam board did you do??

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR, you?
Original post by Fas
our school has a bunch of remark forms , and on the forms were the information for the various different EAR services available :smile:

so if you need any info , just ask and i can tell you :smile:

Ah okay thanks! I was wondering about OCR! It isn't a priority remark e.g. people dependant on it for entry to uni, so is it later? Ive emailed my teacher but hes on holiday and so most people I know just think they'll deal with it in September when school starts!

Quick Reply

Latest