The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJG21
Manchester was excellent, I was really surprised. And the Nottingham campus was mediocre, and it was MILES into the city centre, whereas Manchester was plum in the middle of the city.

I got involved early on last year, and drifted away. Hopefully I'll like you guys enough to stick around. Although early signs aren't good... :biggrin:

:lol: the idea is you quote random people and question them :smile: Works a treat :colone:
Anyone been to Durham Uni yet? I'm going on the 28th for a chemistry open day, and I want to know what to expect.
Reply 702
Original post by CJG21
Anyone been to Durham Uni yet? I'm going on the 28th for a chemistry open day, and I want to know what to expect.
Yes. What do you want to know? :smile:
Original post by Pandora.

Erm.. how was it?
Reply 704

did you book a college tour - I ended up not booking one because we didn't have a clue where each college was, or are there tours you can take while at the open day?

I couldn't make the official open day so I'm just going to a mini one, so I'm not going to be able to see everything, I'd quite like to know how Durham itself is as a place.
Reply 706
Original post by CJG21
Erm.. how was it?
Ok. Chemistry building is ugly. That's my experience of Chem at Durham anyway.
Original post by Robbie242
did you book a college tour - I ended up not booking one because we didn't have a clue where each college was, or are there tours you can take while at the open day?
I went for summer school, so I'm not sure I'm afraid. :redface:

I've spent time in 5 colleges though, so I can tell you a bit about them. :smile:
Reply 707
Original post by CJG21
I couldn't make the official open day so I'm just going to a mini one, so I'm not going to be able to see everything, I'd quite like to know how Durham itself is as a place.
Oh right, ok. Give me 5 minutes. :smile:
Reply 708

I've spent time in 5 colleges though, so I can tell you a bit about them. :smile:

St johns by chance?

I think most chemistry buildings are ugly to be fair.
Oh right, ok. Give me 5 minutes. :smile:

Cheers.
Reply 711
St johns by chance?
Love it. My favourite. I didn't see any accommodation but we went into the reception, the dining area and the garden. It was gorgeous :love:

Original post by CJG21
I think most chemistry buildings are ugly to be fair.
True. And it was freezing inside!
Original post by keromedic
Yes, I'll apply for medicine next year.

Brilliant :smile: What are you going to do with your gap year?
Reply 713
Love it. My favourite. I didn't see any accommodation but we went into the reception, the dining area and the garden. It was gorgeous :love:

:woo: Looks like I've made a good random choice for accommodation overnight :colone:

That's fine, I think I'll get a thermal lab coat :biggrin:
Reply 715
Original post by CJG21

Loved it at the open day

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply 716
:woo: Looks like I've made a good random choice for accommodation overnight :colone:
:five: If I apply to Durham it'll 95% be for St Johns I think :awesome:
Original post by CJG21
That's fine, I think I'll get a thermal lab coat :biggrin:
You'll need it :tongue: It was boiling outside too, which was strange.

About Durham itself - personally I'm not too keen on it, but some people absolutely love it. For a city it's actually fairly quiet. Lots of greenery and little market streets, which are quite pretty. It's very hilly though, so walking (while it's fairly quick to get between most places) can be really hard work!
There are two types of college - hill and bailey. The hill colleges are all (or mostly) located on or around one road. They're more modern and aren't as pretty as the traditional colleges, but they're quite spacious with good facilities. The bailey colleges are the traditional ones in the heart of the city. Much nicer IMO, but I can't talk about accommodation as I've never actually seen any.

The library is fantastic, on the edge of a lovely square. So yeah, I'm not too sure myself whether I'd like to be there but it's certainly a nice place. :yep:
Original post by justanotherindigo
X

hello :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 718

About Durham itself - personally I'm not too keen on it, but some people absolutely love it. For a city it's actually fairly quiet. Lots of greenery and little market streets, which are quite pretty. It's very hilly though, so walking (while it's fairly quick to get between most places) can be really hard work!
There are two types of college - hill and bailey. The hill colleges are all (or mostly) located on or around one road. They're more modern and aren't as pretty as the traditional colleges, but they're quite spacious with good facilities. The bailey colleges are the traditional ones in the heart of the city. Much nicer IMO, but I can't talk about accommodation as I've never actually seen any.

The library is fantastic, on the edge of a lovely square. So yeah, I'm not too sure myself whether I'd like to be there but it's certainly a nice place. :yep:

:biggrin: - you never know, might see you there in the future if Warwick and Cambridge don't go to plan :wink:

Thanks. I haven't done a lot of research on it, the A*AA entry requirements put me off a bit.

Latest