The Student Room Group

Chemistry A2 Revision

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJG21
Well it's safe to say this has gone off topic.

Sorry.

I may have not completed A2 Chem yet, but I scored reasonably well during AS.

The way I did it, was I used more than one source:

I used:

- Teachers notes
- Nelson Thornes book
- Notes of the internet

Then With these sources I constructed a massive log of notes, so I had various examples covered and things the examiners could ask.

Then I did all past papers and questions relevant from the old spec papers. This year I have 2 extra notes the notes from that bancroft thing and a new textbook along with nelson thornes.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by propagation
Sorry.

I used:

- Teachers notes
- Nelson Thornes book
- Notes of the internet

Then With these sources I constructed a massive log of notes, so I had various examples covered and things the examiners could ask.

Then I did all past papers and questions relevant from the old spec papers. This year I have 2 extra notes the notes from that bancroft thing and a new textbook along with nelson thornes.

I wasn't the one needing the help, but thanks anyway.

I never found myself using notes I made in class, I only ever used books.

I have 2 different textbooks, and 2 revision guides, as well as the bancroft notes, and a load of end of topic tests I printed off the internet, which I can use to keep up.
Reply 22
Original post by halpme
Evidently even you don't have a clue what these notes are...
They're the Bancroft notes, from the Bancroft school...
A little bit of Googling and you find a school called Bancroft, not BANKcroft... :rolleyes:.
Search the student room for Bancroft and you find this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1288539
Use the link to download both AS/A2 because the other links don't work...

OH LOOOOL... "Bank-croft"... can't beliebe I spelt it like that looool:eek:
Reply 23
D12
OP
Original post by CJG21
I used them for AS, they were great. Still didn't do as well as I'd like, so I'm starting revising now :P

What are flash cards and how do you use them?
I never actually did many real chem past papers but i just memorized the answers to questions thats probably why i did bad -.-
Reply 24
D12
OP
Original post by Maccman
Hey, I just got an A* on results day in AQA Chemistry

UMS wise..

Chem 1: 87/100
Chem 2: 119/140
Chem 3T: 44/60
Chem 4: 117/120
Chem 5: 114/120
Chem 6X: 44/60

As you can see I seriously stepped up my game for A2, I didn't even resit any AS modules, and also evidently, my practical skills are abysmal!

The key here is understanding and past papers! I did all the past papers even dating back to 1999 for AQA and all the papers for OCR and Edexcel even though I wasn't on their exam boards (to much criticism).

However you'll realise that all chemistry is the same, doing other exam boards papers means you'll be ready and prepared for unusual questions which differ from the normal style of yours.

For simple Q & A answers I used flash cards, especially useful in colour chemistry for remembering all the different ones.

Best of luck!

Sheeeeeettt soonnn, that msut have been embarrassing lool.
What was everyones reacton? xD
Reply 25
D12
OP
Sorry.

I used:

- Teachers notes
- Nelson Thornes book
- Notes of the internet

- Teachers notes
This is useless to me, our Physics and Chemistry department fails 70% of the class every year. Cant rely on them.

What UMS did you get and what Units? :biggrin:

Thanks btw.
Reply 26
Original post by D12
Sheeeeeettt soonnn, that msut have been embarrassing lool.
What was everyones reacton? xD

Which bit was embarrassing? They all thought I was crazy and there was no point doing other exam board's papers..
Original post by D12
What are flash cards and how do you use them?
I never actually did many real chem past papers but i just memorized the answers to questions thats probably why i did bad -.-

I never used flash cards, and to be honest, I've only ever seen them used by 'lesser' candidates.
Original post by D12
- Teachers notes
This is useless to me, our Physics and Chemistry department fails 70% of the class every year. Cant rely on them.

What UMS did you get and what Units? :biggrin:

Thanks btw.

At AS around 60% of the class failed but we had a good teacher, one of the best actually, just the class did not want to work for their grades.

I got
Unit 1: 93/100
Unit 2: 130/140
Unit 3X: 60/60

The more experience you have with questions and material then the more likely you can apply it and understand it fully after a long time of not seeing it.
Reply 29
D12
OP
At AS around 60% of the class failed but we had a good teacher, one of the best actually, just the class did not want to work for their grades.

I got
Unit 1: 93/100
Unit 2: 130/140
Unit 3X: 60/60

The more experience you have with questions and material then the more likely you can apply it and understand it fully after a long time of not seeing it.

About constructing those massive log of notes, how long does it take to construct and would you read it everyday?

Would you also read your notes a day before the exam or even a few hours before the exam?

Thanks.
Original post by D12
About constructing those massive log of notes, how long does it take to construct and would you read it everyday?

Would you also read your notes a day before the exam or even a few hours before the exam?

Thanks.

They are not as massive as I stated before, I kind of exagerated. What i tend to do is write them up and take my time doing it so I drill it in my head. Then a month prior to the exam I would read them over and over again then you should find that you know what's on the page. What i do which is a bit sad is I pretend I am a teacher teaching the chemistry unit to students. I think I would have gone through it atleast 30 times. I usually do half the folder each day, sometimes I do all of them. I also would do a past paper mark it, look at what I got wrong and why, then put it into my notes then I would read through all my notes from my head without the aid of the folder (only use it to check what you said is right and anything you forgot). Then after that do another past paper .......

The building of the notes is dependent on yourself. Sometimes I find that I don't do much in a day, other times I do alot.
Reply 31
D12
OP
They are not as massive as I stated before, I kind of exagerated. What i tend to do is write them up and take my time doing it so I drill it in my head. Then a month prior to the exam I would read them over and over again then you should find that you know what's on the page. What i do which is a bit sad is I pretend I am a teacher teaching the chemistry unit to students. I think I would have gone through it atleast 30 times. I usually do half the folder each day, sometimes I do all of them. I also would do a past paper mark it, look at what I got wrong and why, then put it into my notes then I would read through all my notes from my head without the aid of the folder (only use it to check what you said is right and anything you forgot). Then after that do another past paper .......

The building of the notes is dependent on yourself. Sometimes I find that I don't do much in a day, other times I do alot.

Ahh do you revise 1 day before the exam?
Original post by D12
Ahh do you revise 1 day before the exam?

I revise all year round, but I revise everything together one year prior to the exam.

I revise on the day and anytime before it.
Reply 33
How hard is unit 5? Keep getting told I'm gonna hate it
Reply 34
Original post by THeist
How hard is unit 5? Keep getting told I'm gonna hate it

Chem 5 is so much more interesting than chem 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Maccman
Chem 5 is so much more interesting than chem 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no sorry, I meant difficulty wise. I find all of chemistry interesting anyway haha

Quick Reply

Latest