The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reading has a really good CU, can't wait!!
Original post by Diety
Didn't have time to chat about results until now; had to rush off to Granddad's funeral. Had to read a poem after the eulogy which was really nerve racking because I was a bit emotional, plus there were sooooo many people! But everyone said it was good so phew! Was a really good service apart from the minor hitch of everyone finishing the final hymn too quickly somehow (we think it was the organist's fault :ninja: ) resulting in everyone finishing, but the organist continuing and the priest carrying on singing on his own whilst the congregation stood in awkward silence :biggrin:

Well done on the poem reading - that must have taken a lot of nerve to do that :yes: :hugs: :yes:

:teehee: about the priest and organist continuing though :teehee: Hymns are a tricky one to pitch. Congregations are usually slow as a tortoise when it comes to singing hymns :ninja:

Anyway, results day was crazy! Got 3 high As plus an A in my EPQ, but missed my Cambridge offer by 1 UMS (classic :biggrin:) so contacted them for reconsideration and sat very stressed with the teachers when I would have liked to have been celebrating with friends :frown: after much conversation with just about every teacher in the school, I decided I should go with Durham and ask Cambridge not to reconsider as I actually prefer Durham (long story) but was super worried that I would be making a mistake with such an important decision, so was advised to take a walk. My garden backs onto an abandoned golf course which has now basically become a beautiful meadow so sat out there :hippie: was just about to go in and tell Cambridge not to bother when the dogs escaped and I had to catch them :biggrin: in the time it took for me to do that, Cambridge had gotten back to me and said they didn't want me anyway! Which made me ecstatic because the decision was taken out of my hands and I get to go to Durham! :ahee:

TL; DR Going to Durham :wink:

Lots of posts since I was last on but read all and will be praying for those who need it and congratulations to everyone else on their results! :awesome:

No one wants to go to Cambridge anyway :nah: :ninja: :p: Congrats about Durham and getting your first-choice college! :king1:

Original post by navarre
Would appreciate prayers, guys. My application at university is stressing my mum out, as it's kinda been delayed. I've been praying that the university gets my application sorted out soon, and would appreciate your support.

:hugs: Praying, hun :yes:
Reply 502
Original post by James A

That's brilliant - I wonder how good King's will be. Have you been looking at any churches yet? :smile:
Original post by Alice_95
That's brilliant - I wonder how good King's will be. Have you been looking at any churches yet? :smile:

Oh yeahhh, there should also be a CU for Kings!

Yeah, I've found a Newfrontiers church (basically Newfrontiers is a group of Evangelical churches around the world :smile: ) and I currently attend one in my local area, so I thought it would be good to attend another Newfrontiers church in Reading.

So Reading Family Church it is :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

:teehee: about the priest and organist continuing though :teehee: Hymns are a tricky one to pitch. Congregations are usually slow as a tortoise when it comes to singing hymns :ninja:

Congregations are useless. Whenever I used to accompany, I found that they would ignore the organ and follow the loudest voice. There was invariably a person singing loudly at a tempo of their own choosing in a key of their own invention.

On a related note, why is it that the absence of the usual conductor means that the sopranos in any given choir start to consider pitch and tempo optional extras?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for the prayers everyone. :grouphugs: It's really appreciated.:smile: Still struggling.:cry2: Sorry I didn't reply earlier. :frown:

Revelation 21:4
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.
Reply 506
Original post by James A
Oh yeahhh, there should also be a CU for Kings!

Yeah, I've found a Newfrontiers church (basically Newfrontiers is a group of Evangelical churches around the world :smile: ) and I currently attend one in my local area, so I thought it would be good to attend another Newfrontiers church in Reading.

So Reading Family Church it is :smile:

Yeah there is, I've been looking at some London churches and found a few I'd like to visit. That sounds great :biggrin:
Reply 507
Original post by Aula
Welcome!
I learnt to text with my phone inside my hoody pocket :mmm:
Also, I learnt to never leave the house without my gloves. An important lesson that people today seem to forget about.
(unless it was summer, in which case I didn't. But I do have a great love of gloves :love:)

Hmmm... might need to buy some gloves :tongue: thanks!

Individual people tended to be fine, but they were very evangelical when I was there. However, they were looking into changing and becoming a university affiliated society in my final year. I don't know whether that went ahead though, or not :dontknow:

I checked out their website and having done 'Fundamentalism' for A2 RS, their 'doctrinal basis' would place them as a Protestant Fundamentalist group :erm: I think I might have to give it a miss, which is a shame because I really wanted some sort of Christian student thing as a new Christian finding a Church/denomination :unsure: the only other groups are Cath Soc and Meth Soc, do you think I could try them?

That is is :mmm:
The bar has two entrances, one of which has a rather low ceiling. My friends used to dislike the fact that I didn't need to duck to go in. Well, there have to be some benefits to being short!

I love John's bar! :biggrin: It's so small and cosy :h:

:sigh: I really am rather jealous. I wish I could go back and do it again.

Well, kinda. Without the whole essay stress thing anyway...

Enjoy it, love it, make the absolute most of it. :yep:

Thanks, I will! :h:

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Happy that the funeral went as well as can be expected :yep: also congrats on the results and Durham! You'll have a great time. One of my friends has just graduated from John's studying law and loved it. Apparently half the people at John's in her year are engaged though (Christians marry young and all that jazz) so watch out for girls :teehee:

Thanks :h: and Wow! :biggrin: hadn't heard that before about John's!

Original post by James A

One of my best friends is going to do pharmacy at reading! They are all getting in touch on this page; their conversation is quite far down if you're interested :smile:

Well done on the poem reading - that must have taken a lot of nerve to do that :yes: :hugs: :yes:

Thanks :smile: it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been so emotional :tongue:

I had no idea, haven't been to a Church service since I was very young :colondollar:

No one wants to go to Cambridge anyway :nah: :ninja: :p: Congrats about Durham and getting your first-choice college! :king1:

Thanks! :h:
Original post by tasha96

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.

One of my favourite passages.

You'll be in my prayers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 509
Original post by Diety
definitely :yep:

I checked out their website and having done 'Fundamentalism' for A2 RS, their 'doctrinal basis' would place them as a Protestant Fundamentalist group :erm: I think I might have to give it a miss, which is a shame because I really wanted some sort of Christian student thing as a new Christian finding a Church/denomination :unsure: the only other groups are Cath Soc and Meth Soc, do you think I could try them?

Yep, that sounds about right :sadnod:

Definitely give Cathsoc a go. Not that I'm biased or anything :colone:

We had a few anglicans who hung around with Cathsoc 'cause we were the best.
Okay, or maybe because we were the most accepting/open to letting them think what they wanted to think/friendliest.
We also had occasional events joint with methsoc, which have expanded into being DUECC events now. - DUECC = Durham Ecumenical Christian Council, including a retreat to Lindisfarne in the summer :awesome:

Also (used to be included) was a retreat to Ampleforth abbey, which tbh I would recommend getting involved with Cathsoc just for that! You join in with the monks prayer from matins to compline :h:

However, Dominicans have taken over the parish, so things may have changed. They'll definitely be open to you getting involved with them though. There will probably be jokes about conversion and doing RCIA, but, at least when I was there, it was never serious.

My favourite bar was 24 :yep:
(union society bar)

Thanks :h: and Wow! :biggrin: hadn't heard that before about John's!

It's quite true :mmm:

Oh, also I should say, college CUs may well be worth a look at. They tend to be friendlier and more inclusive than DICCU. I know people who would go near DICCU, but had a good time with college CUs :yep:
Also, the individual churches often have whilst not quite societies, certainly groups and events with the students. IIRC Kings and Emmanuel were reasonably friendly evangelical churches, and Christ Church was the slightly scary full of fundamental evangelicals church.
Original post by OurSeaBee
Congregations are useless. Whenever I used to accompany, I found that they would ignore the organ and follow the loudest voice. There was invariably a person singing loudly at a tempo of their own choosing in a key of their own invention.

On a related note, why is it that the absence of the usual conductor means that the sopranos in any given choir start to consider pitch and tempo optional extras?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sopranos are such divas, that's why :yep:

Says the alto who is technically a mezzo-soprano. Apparently :ninja:

I didn't catch a word of that sentence :awesome: It was to do with Final Fantasy classes right?
Reply 512

:mmm: It is true.

Also, :five: for alto (but maybe really being mezzo)
Reply 513
Original post by Aula
Yep, that sounds about right :sadnod:

Definitely give Cathsoc a go. Not that I'm biased or anything :colone:

We had a few anglicans who hung around with Cathsoc 'cause we were the best.
Okay, or maybe because we were the most accepting/open to letting them think what they wanted to think/friendliest.
We also had occasional events joint with methsoc, which have expanded into being DUECC events now. - DUECC = Durham Ecumenical Christian Council, including a retreat to Lindisfarne in the summer :awesome:

Also (used to be included) was a retreat to Ampleforth abbey, which tbh I would recommend getting involved with Cathsoc just for that! You join in with the monks prayer from matins to compline :h:

However, Dominicans have taken over the parish, so things may have changed. They'll definitely be open to you getting involved with them though. There will probably be jokes about conversion and doing RCIA, but, at least when I was there, it was never serious.

That all sounds great :h: I hope it's still that friendly.. I'll definitely give it a try, thanks :smile:
What does Cath Soc do just on a week to week basis?

Also, are there any other socs you would recomend?

My favourite bar was 24 :yep:
(union society bar)

I'll keep that in mind :biggrin:

Oh, also I should say, college CUs may well be worth a look at. They tend to be friendlier and more inclusive than DICCU. I know people who would go near DICCU, but had a good time with college CUs :yep:
Also, the individual churches often have whilst not quite societies, certainly groups and events with the students. IIRC Kings and Emmanuel were reasonably friendly evangelical churches, and Christ Church was the slightly scary full of fundamental evangelicals church.

Ok, I'll be sure to look at John's CU and maybe even go to a service at one of those churches just to see what it's like :smile:

Was your college CU good? (did you say which college you were at? I may just have forgotten :embarrassed: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 514
I'm going in for the mammoth multiquote...

[video="youtube;j-wwbO4LUMY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wwbO4LUMY[/video]

:ninja:

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
What course are you hoping to get into mate? :3

Mine are AS-levels :yep: I haven't applied yet :nah:

Original post by AtomicTheory
I'd really appreciate prayers at the moment. Having really bad money problems, can't move home/get any help from my family, and just have no ****ing clue what to do, basically.

:jumphug: I'm a little late on the uptake here but I hope you're OK. :console:

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
So I don't get that interview with Cullum afterall - turned out the slot scheduled for was Hylands park and my pass is for weston park :hmpf:

:console:

Original post by Mimir
For all result-ees...
May you have received grades which will help you persue the end that will make you happy. Even if that means you have to stress in the short term to arrive at the course or institution you desire, things have a way of working out.

For those who used his intercession - font forget to thank St Joseph of Cupertino and make him known. A happy feast of the Assumption to you all.

Congratulations on finishing your A-Levels, it's quite an achievement just to survive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Just got this :biggrin: "Congratulations. This letter confirms your place and any agreed changes at The University of Manchester for the Mental Health Nursing yadda yadda ya".

And now to be incredibly stressed out for the next few years :yep: May go and see the Alan Partridge film to celebrate, help stop the fact my hands are still shaking.

Congrats :woo: :yay: :party: :ahee:

Original post by James A
Got into Uni!!!

I am so thrilled and I've just trusted God with everything and he's rewarded me :biggrin: :biggrin:

Jeremiah 29:11 was in my mind throughout this morning!

Congrats :biggrin: :awesome: :woo: :danceboy:

Original post by tasha96
Congratulations to everyone who got results today. :smile: Hope everyone got the marks they were looking for. :grouphugs:

Thanks hun :hugs:

I'm really sorry to be a pain again, and I know I'm always asking but could I please ask for prayers? :frown: Really really not good at the moment and I don't know what to do. :cry2:

You're never a pain hun, I hope you feel better soon and I'll be praying :hugs:

Original post by Diety
Was a really good service apart from the minor hitch of everyone finishing the final hymn too quickly somehow (we think it was the organist's fault :ninja: ) resulting in everyone finishing, but the organist continuing and the priest carrying on singing on his own whilst the congregation stood in awkward silence :biggrin:

Glad to hear it was a good service :yes: :hugs:

Anyway, results day was crazy! Got 3 high As plus an A in my EPQ

Yay, congrats :biggrin:

Original post by Diety
It's like Cambridge but cold and northern.... and better :biggrin: Don't mind the northern bit though because my whole family lives around the same area :h: just need a good jumper :wink:

:hmmm: better? :eyeball: :tongue:

Original post by navarre
Would appreciate prayers, guys. My application at university is stressing my mum out, as it's kinda been delayed. I've been praying that the university gets my application sorted out soon, and would appreciate your support.

:jumphug: hope it was OK for you :yes:

Original post by OurSeaBee

Posted from TSR Mobile

At Carols by Candlelight (the service to which EVERYONE seems to turn up :ninja:) the choir usually ends up around a bar or two ahead of the congregation by the end of the long'uns :rofl:

Original post by tasha96
Thanks for the prayers everyone. :grouphugs: It's really appreciated.:smile: Still struggling.:cry2: Sorry I didn't reply earlier. :frown:

:jumphug: :console: :penguinhug:

Original post by Diety

I found a mammoth thick coat in TK Maxx cheaply last year... so nice, you might want to have a look there :biggrin:

Did they tell you the story about Cruddas? :ninja:

Oh, and we might be living on the same street next year if I get into Chad's :ninja:
Original post by Mazzini
I'm going in for the mammoth multiquote...

[video="youtube;j-wwbO4LUMY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wwbO4LUMY[/video]

:ninja:

Mine are AS-levels :yep: I haven't applied yet :nah:

:jumphug: I'm a little late on the uptake here but I hope you're OK. :console:

:console:

Congrats :woo: :yay: :party: :ahee:

Congrats :biggrin: :awesome: :woo: :danceboy:

Thanks hun :hugs:

You're never a pain hun, I hope you feel better soon and I'll be praying :hugs:

Glad to hear it was a good service :yes: :hugs:

Yay, congrats :biggrin:

:hmmm: better? :eyeball: :tongue:

:jumphug: hope it was OK for you :yes:

At Carols by Candlelight (the service to which EVERYONE seems to turn up :ninja:) the choir usually ends up around a bar or two ahead of the congregation by the end of the long'uns :rofl:

:jumphug: :console: :penguinhug:

I found a mammoth thick coat in TK Maxx cheaply last year... so nice, you might want to have a look there :biggrin:

Did they tell you the story about Cruddas? :ninja:

Oh, and we might be living on the same street next year if I get into Chad's :ninja:

Like the Halo 3 announcer...... 'muulllltttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii quoteeeeeeeeeeee'.

xD!

Thanks man, I was relieved when I found out :woo: You did your first year of AS? :smile:
Reply 516
Original post by James A
Like the Halo 3 announcer...... 'muulllltttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii quoteeeeeeeeeeee'.

xD!

Thanks man, I was relieved when I found out :woo: You did your first year of AS? :smile:

:rofl: I feel a bit tired now :teehee: :redface: :ninja:

Yeah, going into U6 in a couple of weeks :eek3:
Reply 517
Original post by Diety
That all sounds great :h: I hope it's still that friendly.. I'll definitely give it a try, thanks :smile:
What does Cath Soc do just on a week to week basis?

When I was there, we'd meet in the pub after Mass on a Sunday (evening Mass so pub by half 7...)

Latter years we had a small prayer group including adoration every other Tuesday evening. I think they're doing more weekly stuff now though!

Also, there was a Taizé prayer group every other Monday over at Hild Bede, but the people who ran it will have left by now, so I don't know whether it will still be going.

Also, are there any other socs you would recomend?

Def recommend the union society, if you like listening or participating in debates. It's pricey, but worth it imo. Other than that, it depends entirely on what your interests are.

Ok, I'll be sure to look at John's CU and maybe even go to a service at one of those churches just to see what it's like :smile:

See, I'm good at the eccumenical stuff, me. Not just pointing people towards St Cuthberts :proud:
(by which I mean the RC church, not the society)

Was your college CU good? (did you say which college you were at? I may just have forgotten :embarrassed: )

I was at Aidan's. Don't remember whether I've said it before or not :dontknow:
I never actually did anything much with my college CU. Not quite sure why though. I know other people had a lovely time there though.
I have little to add to the Durham discussion, except that I was lecturing in John's a few weeks back :ninja: Was a summer school that happened to be hosted there though, nothing to do with the college itself.
Does anyone have advice on how to deal with freshers week, from the point of a Christian?

I don't wanna be sucked in, to the clubbing lifestyle, but wouldn't mind the odd pint!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending