The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatitootoo
Och, natürlich, wie kan man, dass Deutsch lernt, dass noch nicht wissen!? xD
:lol: Cool story. Maybe she could secretly understand Dutch, and was extremely revolted by what the Dutch tourists were saying...'cause that happens^^ hahah

:grin: :grin: :grin: Tootoo

Germanicans
Did I even use the right "das" here?
Original post by overthelove
Wow! You've only be learning them for a year and you are taking it to A-Level? That's amazing :smile: I really like languages too, and I'm taking French as one of my AS Levels. You are very proficient at languages :smile:

That's not uncommon here ^^
Before coming to my senses sometime last week...I was actually considering doing A-level German from scratch! IN A YEAR :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Haha, everyone says that to me. Hmm, well, I do like writing and deconstructing arguments in a critical way, I guess. I've always had a general interest in various aspects of History; I just hope the topics we cover will be engaging. If anything, English Literature is the only subject I am not 100% sure about. I haven't written a fictional piece of writing or poetry in many years, and I don't read fiction books that often. I used to read a lot more, but now most of my reading revolves around languages. :biggrin:

What other subjects are you studying?

I really enjoyed English Literature when I studied it, and we didn't have to write a fictional piece of writing, or poetry, but instead analyse techniques the writer used to convey messages/feelings to the reader. I don't think it will matter as much if you haven't read many fiction books though! At least you enjoy reading :smile:

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. Practically the complete opposite to your subjects :tongue:
Original post by Gilo98
Non, mais je sais que je doit afine d'améliorer (in order to improve?)

Oui, mais, a mon avis, c'est vraiment utile! You have done fine without it anyway :smile:
Before coming to my scences sometime last week...I was actually considering doing A-level German from scratch! IN A YEAR :eek:

I'm curious, Too, are you a native English speaker? I'm not asking that because you made a typo, it's just that you said you weren't a few days ago and I'm not sure if you were joking or not. :tongue:

I really enjoyed English Literature when I studied it, and we didn't have to write a fictional piece of writing, or poetry, but instead analyse techniques the writer used to convey messages/feelings to the reader. I don't think it will matter as much if you haven't read many fiction books though! At least you enjoy reading :smile:

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. Practically the complete opposite to your subjects :tongue:

Oh yes I enjoy reading immensely. I actually used to write Poetry in primary school and even had some of them published in Childrens Poetry Anthologies, though I forgot the name of them. I had some copies but they got lost when we moved house. I do love a bit of analysation, so hopefully I will enjoy it! :biggrin:
Before coming to my senses sometime last week...I was actually considering doing A-level German from scratch! IN A YEAR :eek:

I can't believe that. Everyone seems extremely dedicated to languages here :smile:
One Year :gasp: You must have been feeling extremely brave! What languages are you studying now anyway? :smile:
Oh yes I enjoy reading immensely. I actually used to write Poetry in primary school and even had some of them published in Childrens Poetry Anthologies, though I forgot the name of them. I had some copies but they got lost when we moved house. I do love a bit of analysation, so hopefully I will enjoy it! :biggrin:

I hope you will enjoy it too!

That sounds amazing! I wonder how it must have felt having your own poetry published before you were 11! :smile:
Reply 6667
Oui, mais, a mon avis, c'est vraiment utile! You have done fine without it anyway :smile:

Ah thank you but that means my french can only get better with it!

Btw, quel âge avez-vous? Votre francais est tres bon aussi :smile:
Reply 6668
I'm curious, Too, are you a native English speaker? I'm not asking that because you made a typo, it's just that you said you weren't a few days ago and I'm not sure if you were joking or not. :tongue:

I really enjoyed English Lit personally, and got even more into it at uni (though obviously it wasn't English lit we were studying there!). I missed a lot of Sixth Form due to illness and that may have been the reason, but I found that actual teaching about how to take things further and to other levels was lacking at school, so I wish I'd had chance to push it more at that point. I got more out of lit at uni, where I was forced to learn how to take things further if I wanted to be able to contribute well in seminars and get good marks.

Ahhhh, uni. If/when I get into Medicine I think I'm going to cling to the more 'fluffy' aspects to try to challenge myself like that - it'll be hard to learn everything I need to, especially if it's in Danish, but I don't get the impression that the sciencey stuff will be challenging in that particular way.
I can't believe that. Everyone seems extremely dedicated to languages here :smile:
I hope you will enjoy it too!

That sounds amazing! I wonder how it must have felt having your own poetry published before you were 11! :smile:

Yes everyone here is very keen about language learning. :smile: And having my poetry published when I was young felt wonderful! :h:
Original post by Gilo98
Ah thank you but that means my french can only get better with it!

Btw, quel âge avez-vous? Votre francais est tres bon aussi :smile:

Oui, c'est vrai :smile:

J'ai 16 ans, et vous?

Mille mercis! Votre francais est excellent! I am glad that I have spoken to a person who likes languages as I do :smile:
Germanicans
Did I even use the right "das" here?

No.
Och, natürlich, wie kan man, dass Deutsch lernt, dass noch nicht wissen!?
Dass is a subordinating conjunction, which means it sends the verb to the end. "Ich denke dass heute es sehr windig ist.",/I think that today it is very windy/ instead of "Ich denke dass heute es ist sehr windig." This would be incorrect.

Dass in sense of 'that' as in, 'How did I not know that?" is spelt with one -s. It is also the definite article for the neutral gender. "Das Auto" /The car/.

I think I am correct in this regard but as I always say, I am a beginner. :wink:

Phantom! You've caught me out! :wink: Once I saw my post, I immediately questioned the spelling of that word! I remembered the spelling of "sense" so I thought I should just stick an 's' at the end.
Technically, English is my third language...long story xD (But in my lonely life, it has to serve as my "main" language. While my other tongues slowly rot in my mouth </3

One Year :gasp: You must have been feeling extremely brave! What languages are you studying now anyway? :smile:

Haha I just fell in love with Deutsch...And after a series of tests, a teacher at college concluded that my current level is actually above that of most AS students :redface: But that was just a fluke! There are SO MANY areas I urgently need to work on! So I chickened out of doing the A-level :tongue: :tongue: Dutch, German, and English. :lol:
No. Dass is a subordinating conjunction, which means it sends the verb to the end. "Ich denke dass heute es sehr windig ist.",/I think that today it is very windy/ instead of "Ich denke dass heute es ist sehr windig." This would be incorrect.

Dass in sense of 'that' as in, 'How did I not know that?" is spelt with one -s. It is also the definite article for the neutral gender. "Das Auto" /The car/.

I think I am correct in this regard but as I always say, I am a beginner. :wink:

Actually...:wink:

Ich glaube /Ich finde / Ich denke, dass es heute sehr windig ist!

I know what you mean but 'das' is just an overly complicated nightmare
(edited 10 years ago)

Haha I just fell in love with Deutsch...And after a series of tests, a teacher at college concluded that my current level is actually above that of most AS students :redface: But that was just a fluke! There are SO MANY areas I urgently need to work on! So I chickened out of doing the A-level :tongue: :tongue: Dutch, German, and English. :lol:

That is a great accomplishment though! I would love to be at high levels in 3 languages :smile: Well Done!
Reply 6675
Oui, c'est vrai :smile:

J'ai 16 ans, et vous?

Mille mercis! Votre francais est excellent! I am glad that I have spoken to a person who likes languages as I do :smile:

Aha everyone on this thread seems to love languages!! I thought so, knew you must have some sort of qualification in French! (Assume you took GCSE) Im 14 and so this (academic) year I'l start french and german GCSE :smile:

Alors, parlez-vous le Francais et un peu de l'Allemande?
(edited 10 years ago)
That is a great accomplishment though! I would love to be at high levels in 3 languages :smile: Well Done!

Thankooooooo, you're so sweet!! :awesome:
Replace German with "small West African language" and then you could say that I am! hehe
Original post by Gilo98
Aha everyone on this thread seems to love languages!! I thought so, knew you must have some sort of qualification in French! (Assume you took GCSE) Im 14 and so this (academic) year I'l start french and german A-Level :smile:

w00t
SURELY you MEAN GcSe Riight!?!?
Original post by Gilo98
Aha everyone on this thread seems to love languages!! I thought so, knew you must have some sort of qualification in French! (Assume you took GCSE) Im 14 and so this (academic) year I'l start french and german A-Level :smile:

Yeah I did my GCSE in French in Years 9 and 10! You are 14, and can speak so well in other languages! This thread is full of surprises!

And you are starting French and German at A-Level! I am jealous!

Oui, je parle le Francais, et un petit, petit, petit peu de l'Allemande. Cet été, je suis allée en Allemagne, donc, j'ai pratiqué avec ma tante. Je suis un débutant! (I think that is beginner, haha). Etes-vous looking forward to it? hahaha :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thankooooooo, you're so sweet!! :awesome:
Replace German with "small West African language" and then you could say that I am! hehe

Danke schön!

And hehehe, of course! Everyone here is so amazing! I am glad I found this thread :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending