The Student Room Group

No friends at uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
I still see what you'd call *gasp* ugly girls at my school hanging out with more attractive looking people and vice versa - their looks don't stop them because they do not seem to focus on that aspect at all, rather they tend to converse regularly about day to day life and other things such as tv shows, film, youtube etc.

Oh please, cry me a river. Your just trying to put everything on your gender aren't you. I've seen ugly guys have a less tough time making friends than ugly girls BUT this is not applicable to every scenario - sometimes ugly guys (obviously looks are subjective, but lets say ugly people) have not had an easy time making friend - I certainly didn't when I was bad at every sport (still am to an extent) and was a complete failure at life (played wow too much). But at A-level I've turned that around, its not too late to change and the more you focus on your strengths rather than weaknesses, the better you will feel.

I will not agree with you however that in terms of getting a bf/gf that ugly guys have an easier time - because in most cases it is equal for both genders - except ugly guys more often than not have to put up with rejection for the gender roles that say a man should initiate. Hence I believe ugly guys have a harder time emotionally for entering relationships

I feel like we've had this conversation like 5 times now

I can guarantee you these so called ugly girls are not nearly as ugly as me. They are probably only plain. Not truly ugly.

I'm not putting everything on my gender. Being a girl would be great if only I had looks.
Being bad at sport and a failure at life does not equal being ugly. :plz2: Those two things don't make people not want to talk to you, they don't make people recoil at the sight of your face. Most of all, they can be changed.
Ugliness cannot be changed or undone. It is a curse, a curse in which the damned would be better off dead.

Girls are less visual than guys and care less about looks in a relationship. You'd have to be blind not to realise this. Guys do not want an ugly girl hanging off their arm.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Maid Marian
I can guarantee you these so called ugly girls are not nearly as ugly as me. They are probably only plain. Not truly ugly.

I'm not putting everything on my gender. Being a girl would be great if only I had looks.
Being bad at sport and a failure at life does not equal being ugly. :plz2: Those two things don't make people not want to talk to you, they don't make people recoil at the sight of your face. Most of all, they can be changed.
Ugliness cannot be changed or undone. It is a curse, a curse in which the damned would be better off dead.

Girls are less visual than guys and care less about looks in a relationship. You'd have to be blind not to realise this. Guys do not want an ugly girl hanging off their arm.

You keep thinking that, deary me.

There you go again, there are successful ugly women you know. They contribute to being ugly though, and I was already ugly so that's like ugly+x for some quantity of x. Please I have spots on my face, I have white spots under my eyes, I have a large belly, I have spots on my legs, I have dry hands and lets not start on other things.

Despite all of these I am still largely a positive person, I do get the odd judgemental person look at me in such a way but I don't immediately assume its looks (although it might well be). Being ugly is a curse for you?, being ugly is only noticeable if you compare yourself to everyone else, and when you do that you are just wanting to lower your self-esteem.

[insert generalisation here], both girls and guys can be guilty of this and both can not - you cannot just assume that all girls would be happy with an ugly guy because more often than not they wouldn't really be
(edited 10 years ago)
Add me to your ignore list then :curious:

No, my problem with life is that I'm ugly.

how ugly are we talking here

on the time tested scale of 1 to 10
Reply 83
Original post by Table dust

inb4 she says 1
Reply 84
I won't have any friends at uni either. You are not alone :frown:

why are you always so depressed, cheer up :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah and cry all the time. School was SO much better. Even with my stuck up primary school classmates. I'm such in deep **** that I actually miss them. :cry2:

If its so bad, why don't you just transfer to a different uni?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Cool. She needs to realise that looks aren't everything, and if takes two people or a million people to say that then so be it, it is obvious that there is an underline connection between her pessimism and inability to make friends. Nobody wants to friend somebody who hates life and always has a bad outlook on life. They want to friend ambitious, kind and honest people.

I was only making that statement because she needs to stop focusing on the bad and look at the good, like I have in my life through getting an internship, good AS results and a certain uniqueness to my character - I don't see why we're ganging up on her for the wrong reasons, we are just trying to get her to change her mentality because in the real world it all doesn't come down to 1 characteristic :smile:

so kindess is putting her down and looking down your nose at people? lol..
You keep thinking that, deary me.

There you go again, there are successful ugly women you know. They contribute to being ugly though, and I was already ugly so that's like ugly+x for some quantity of x. Please I have spots on my face, I have white spots under my eyes, I have a large belly, I have spots on my legs, I have dry hands and lets not start on other things.

Despite all of these I am still largely a positive person, I do get the odd judgemental person look at me in such a way but I don't immediately assume its looks (although it might well be). Being ugly is a curse for you?, being ugly is only noticeable if you compare yourself to everyone else, and when you do that you are just wanting to lower your self-esteem.

[insert generalisation here], both girls and guys can be guilty of this and both can not - you cannot just assume that all girls would be happy with an ugly guy because more often than not they wouldn't really be

I have never seen a successful woman as ugly as me. In fact, I would go so far to say as I am the ugliest woman in Britain right now, if not the whole world.
But you're not even ugly!! So this rings completely hollow. None of those things you listed even matter :frown: Everyone has minor imperfections. There is a difference between imperfections and downright ugliness.
I can't help but compare myself to everyone else, I am jealous of everyone because every single person in Britain right now is better looking than me. :cry2:

I would be happy with an ugly guy. I only draw the line at really fat guys. :frown:

Original post by Table dust

inb4 she says 1

But I am... :sad:
Reply 88
Original post by ChloeElizabeth
I don't think thats the ideal route really. I've never in my life made an actual new friend via clubbing. It's loud, a bit awkward, fun if you're with your mates but how are you going to make friends there?

so because something didn't work for you, it musn't for others?
Reply 89
Original post by c.a1979
so kindess is putting her down and looking down your nose at people? lol..

excuse me? No giving some friendly advice that's all
Reply 90
Original post by ElChapo
This really is not that bad, people may have laughed but they would have quickly forgotten

Posted from TSR Mobile

heh... who defines what bad is? Don't you in this thread cite relativity a lot?
Reply 91
I have never seen a successful woman as ugly as me. In fact, I would go so far to say as I am the ugliest woman in Britain right now, if not the whole world.
But you're not even ugly!! So this rings completely hollow. None of those things you listed even matter :frown: Everyone has minor imperfections. There is a difference between imperfections and downright ugliness.
I can't help but compare myself to everyone else, I am jealous of everyone because every single person in Britain right now is better looking than me. :cry2:

I would be happy with an ugly guy. I only draw the line at really fat guys. :frown:

I'm sorry but I've never seen a picture of you so I can't search the internet for a successful ugly woman who is uglier than you otherwise you'll say you're uglier.

I think I'm fairly ugly as standards go, but I don't know to what extent, I'm the same in terms of never being kissed/had a girlfriend, so I don't know what this indicates - I don't really try either though. I'd say collectively all the imperfections make me ugly - but still doesn't really bother me. I'm more interested in mathematics and the world around me to care that much at all about looks.

No comment, I have no idea.

Fair enough

I'd put myself as a 2 but the rating system is subjective so...
Reply 92
excuse me? No giving some friendly advice that's all

what you do is your own business, but i doubt kindness is calling her an idiot and then instructing her to be kind lol..
Reply 93
Original post by c.a1979
what you do is your own business, but i doubt kindness is calling her an idiot and then instructing her to be kind lol..

I didn't say that - I said people want to be friends with somebody kind, honest and ambitious in general - didn't say I fit in this criteria.

I am giving examples and trying to make her focus on the positive rather than the negative, but sure whatever
Reply 94
Original post by c.a1979
heh... who defines what bad is? Don't you in this thread cite relativity a lot?

Lol, sorry? What you said made no sense to me, try again please. I'm honestly lost
Keeping this Anon,

But I had exactly the same problem! All of the societies were we-pretend-to-play-this-sport-but-actually-drink-4-days-a-week-instead societies, I like a drink but my liver can't handle binge drinking for weeks on end!

Everyone is closed off at Uni! People like talking to people like them, its like an American Teen High School drama! All the pretty skinny preppy girls sit together, laughing at you behind your back, with guys flocking around them because they are oh so pretty...Whilst not even saying hello to you because you're an average person :/ You're treated as an anomaly if you don't go clubbing, even 'nice' people are closed off...you have to do the chasing 'Hey, wanna go to X later?' after a while you feel like you are bothering people!

But, you know what? This year I'll be living with 3 random people who have had the same issues, so we shall be loners together! :smile: Take last year as character building, at least you know how to handle loneliness, a lot of people won't know that until they they finish University, build on last year and improve!

I get what it's like about being laughed at :frown: Didn't get on with my flatmates, they liked to laugh at me behind my back...turns out they are friends with someone on my course :frown: Not sure what they have told her but now I'm a little bit uncomfortable around her
Reply 96

pics?
Reply 97
Original post by ElChapo
Lol, sorry? What you said made no sense to me, try again please. I'm honestly lost

meh, your telling her not to care about it made no sense either. as you profess such wisdom, know that reactions and processing are subjective.
I'm sorry but I've never seen a picture of you so I can't search the internet for a successful ugly woman who is uglier than you otherwise you'll say you're uglier.

I think I'm fairly ugly as standards go, but I don't know to what extent, I'm the same in terms of never being kissed/had a girlfriend, so I don't know what this indicates - I don't really try either though. I'd say collectively all the imperfections make me ugly - but still doesn't really bother me. I'm more interested in mathematics and the world around me to care that much at all about looks.

No comment, I have no idea.

Fair enough

I'd put myself as a 2 but the rating system is subjective so...

I don't even want to be successful anyway, I just want a best friend and a boyfriend :cry2:

You're not ugly, I'd give you like a 6/7. :s-smilie: The only reason you haven't had a girlfriend is because you said yourself, you don't try. I'd happily go out with someone like you.
If you were a girl and you were ugly, you'd find it impossible not to care... a girl's worth is based on her looks. A guy's simply isn't, and there is not point arguing about that because it's fact.
:sigh:
Reply 99
Original post by c.a1979
meh, your telling her not to care about it made no sense either. as you profess such wisdom, know that reactions and processing are subjective.

I was obviously trying to be consoling you robot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending