The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Currently getting ready for the annual trip to Reading next weekend. A weekend without internet access is always hard on the nerves, but hopefully I'll have anime at least, assuming its not too hot for my retired laptop to function. :p: I know it struggles with MKV files, especially HD ones, and it won't play 10 bit video at all, so I'll take it as an opportunity to watch some of the many 'older' series that have been lying on my hard drive for years. DVDs sadly aren't an option - the disc drive has had it. :sadnod:

Will be taking the following series with me; doubt I'll watch even half of them, but it's nice to have a selection, as I don't know what I'll feel like watching in a week's time. :smile:

Banner of the Stars II - Love this franchise!

Chobits - My first manga series, as I mentioned a few posts back, but I never did watch the anime...

Jinki;Extend - Evangelion clone~

Kaidan Restaurant - Light-hearted ghost stories, not expecting a masterpiece, but it should be fun!

Kaze no Stigma - Can't remember when/why I downloaded this, but it sounds half-decent.

Myself;Yourself - Was recommended it by an anime fan I met on a Jobseeker's course a year and a half ago!

Oban Star Racers - Will be watching this English dubbed, since I can't find it French with subs.

Secret of Cerulean Sand - One of the few steampunk anime series.

Sisters of Wellber Zwei - Watched the first series a few months ago, it wasn't bad.

Space Symphony Maetel - Watched Maetel Legend years ago, it was pretty good!

The Third - A recommendation from a former Aberanime president, his favourite series.

Ulysses 31 - Again, will be watching this in English. I was born slightly too late to catch this on UK TV as a child.

Good luck with the hard task ahead :yes: in the last month i've had 3 weeks without anime, its horrible :no:

Going to join the Uni society this year as well :biggrin: looking forward to it...
Reply 5201
Original post by Scienceisgood
Well, I guess I'm an anomaly then, not Japanese, not even Asian and I would say 80% of what I watch is anime. =l

Aha, perhaps, but you're not the only anomaly. There's plenty of people like you. AJ, for instance. :tongue: Just in comparison with what the rest of the British population watch (fiction wise, likely British and US series), you're definitely in the minority that primarily watch anime. :smile:
Reply 5202
Currently getting ready for the annual trip to Reading next weekend. A weekend without internet access is always hard on the nerves, but hopefully I'll have anime at least, assuming its not too hot for my retired laptop to function. :p: I know it struggles with MKV files, especially HD ones, and it won't play 10 bit video at all, so I'll take it as an opportunity to watch some of the many 'older' series that have been lying on my hard drive for years. DVDs sadly aren't an option - the disc drive has had it. :sadnod:

Surprised you haven't bought another cheap laptop now that you're working. Even the lowest range can probably support HD/10 bit files. :yes:

Will be taking the following series with me; doubt I'll watch even half of them, but it's nice to have a selection, as I don't know what I'll feel like watching in a week's time. :smile:

Haha, this is just like me. I chuck so many onto my laptop/iPad when I'm away, but realistically it's unlikely I'll ever get around to all of them. :tongue:

Kaze no Stigma - Can't remember when/why I downloaded this, but it sounds half-decent.

Myself;Yourself - Was recommended it by an anime fan I met on a Jobseeker's course a year and a half ago!

The Third - A recommendation from a former Aberanime president, his favourite series.

Kaze no Stigma was pretty fun to watch. It's nothing special, but there's enough action and romance to keep things interesting (the female protagonist is such a tsundere). The male protagonist also has a backbone, which is a rarity. :tongue:

Myself;Yourself, from what I can remember of it, is your standard visual novel adaptation. Everything from the storyline to the animation. If you're into this 'genre', you should like this.

The Third was just ok. I'm surprised it's your former president's favourite anime as it's hardly Aoi Bungaku. :tongue:
I really need to finish hellsing ultimate and start bleach. Even though I'm a physics kind of guy I couldn't get into steins gate the pacing was too slow for me. I watched welcome to the NHK now that was a good funny anime.

Watching blood lad , watamote and high school dxd new of the new series at the moment blood lad is really good tbh and I'm honestly watching high school dxd for the story also watamote is really funny in a depressing kind of way lol.I should also start fma soon but atleast I watched elfen lied and that was just a really great anime 10/10 loved the OP really emotional
Hello everyone!

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cameronlfc

This is my anime list! Any recommendations based on the list? :smile:

I hope you've all watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann??? My first anime and my favorite of all time
Original post by CameronLfc
Hello everyone!

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cameronlfc

This is my anime list! Any recommendations based on the list? :smile:

I hope you've all watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann??? My first anime and my favorite of all time

Hello and welcome to the society. :biggrin: Nice list! Based on what you've watched, I'd recommend the following:

Sankarea - Noticed a few romance and zombie series on your list; this combines the two genres quite nicely. :p:

Code Geass - Mech series featuring a similar protagonist to that of Death Note.

Nichijou - The ultimate high school comedy series (in my opinion).

BTOOOM! - Another survival game along the lines of Mirai Nikki and Danganronpa.

Tower of Druaga - A parody of the usual fantasy/RPG settings, but it has a half decent story too.

Hope that one or more of these series interest you. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5206
Original post by Numan786
I really need to finish hellsing ultimate and start bleach. Even though I'm a physics kind of guy I couldn't get into steins gate the pacing was too slow for me. I watched welcome to the NHK now that was a good funny anime.

Watching blood lad , watamote and high school dxd new of the new series at the moment blood lad is really good tbh and I'm honestly watching high school dxd for the story also watamote is really funny in a depressing kind of way lol.I should also start fma soon but atleast I watched elfen lied and that was just a really great anime 10/10 loved the OP really emotional

I agree about Steins;Gate pacing. It's absolutely horrible in the first half of the series, which is why I dropped it. I picked it up a year later because there was just so much hype around it. It definitely gets better in the second half. Well worth the wait.
Reply 5207
It's been 10 days since I bought anything anime or manga related :argh: I really need my fix, but things for uni come first :sad:
Original post by Aiko
Surprised you haven't bought another cheap laptop now that you're working. Even the lowest range can probably support HD/10 bit files. :yes:

Haha, this is just like me. I chuck so many onto my laptop/iPad when I'm away, but realistically it's unlikely I'll ever get around to all of them. :tongue:

Kaze no Stigma was pretty fun to watch. It's nothing special, but there's enough action and romance to keep things interesting (the female protagonist is such a tsundere). The male protagonist also has a backbone, which is a rarity. :tongue:

Myself;Yourself, from what I can remember of it, is your standard visual novel adaptation. Everything from the storyline to the animation. If you're into this 'genre', you should like this.

The Third was just ok. I'm surprised it's your former president's favourite anime as it's hardly Aoi Bungaku. :tongue:

Missed this post - I blame the slow work computers *which I probably shouldn't be using to go on TSR anyway, especially on the day they extended my contract for another year*

I could probably buy a new laptop, but I'm not sure I'd use one enough to justify it. The desktop is serving me well at home, and the old laptop has just enough life left in it for the few days of any given year where I'm staying somewhere else and want to take a computer with me. Maybe I'll consider it if the screen breaks off, like it keeps threatening to do. :p:

I usually average 3-4 series during my annual Reading anime marathon, but better to have too much anime than too little. :giggle:

Always nice to get more feedback on anime I'm thinking of watching. :biggrin: Looking at all the series on my hard drive, many of which have been there for years, I realise how much my taste in anime has changed. :p: I'll take this as a chance to clear the backlog of some of the more generic-sounding stuff (Myself;Yourself, Jinki;Extend), maybe they'll surprise me, but if not then I don't have to finish them.
:hi: ive been really busy with renovating the restaurant last couple of weeks, haven't had much time to watch any anime, still got series to finish from last season, havent touched any of this season yet :colondollar: only been rewatching School Rumble on youtube for the 3rd/4th time, its been a few years since i last watched it :moon: god i love this show :cute: Tenma and Harima has got to be 2 of my fave characters ever :cool: shame they dont have a proper 3rd season and i never watched past the 2nd one :frown: has anyone read the manga? ive heard its not as good so ive always been put off it, the music, characters and their voice acting is what makes the anime so good but i really wana see some conclusion to the story :s-smilie:

last 3 eps of Oreimo are out :excited:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5210
Here I was not expecting a lot from episode 6 of Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya, but just wow. That was so badass. :laugh:
Reply 5211
Missed this post - I blame the slow work computers *which I probably shouldn't be using to go on TSR anyway, especially on the day they extended my contract for another year*

Haha, I used to come onto TSR all of the time at work. It became almost problematic during the height of my activity, but I somehow managed to get away with it. :tongue:

I could probably buy a new laptop, but I'm not sure I'd use one enough to justify it. The desktop is serving me well at home, and the old laptop has just enough life left in it for the few days of any given year where I'm staying somewhere else and want to take a computer with me. Maybe I'll consider it if the screen breaks off, like it keeps threatening to do. :p:

Ah, I misread. I thought it was your main computer. If you're only using it on the odd occasion, I can see why you're reluctant to buy another one. :yes:

I usually average 3-4 series during my annual Reading anime marathon, but better to have too much anime than too little. :giggle:

Yes, indeed. :tongue:

Always nice to get more feedback on anime I'm thinking of watching. :biggrin: Looking at all the series on my hard drive, many of which have been there for years, I realise how much my taste in anime has changed. :p: I'll take this as a chance to clear the backlog of some of the more generic-sounding stuff (Myself;Yourself, Jinki;Extend), maybe they'll surprise me, but if not then I don't have to finish them.

On the topic of taste, mine hasn't necessarily changed. If anything, it's broadened over the years. I can pretty much watch and enjoy anything these days, regardless of how well or poorly scripted and animated it is.

Original post by eugenius 8
:hi: ive been really busy with renovating the restaurant last couple of weeks, haven't had much time to watch any anime, still got series to finish from last season, havent touched any of this season yet :colondollar: only been rewatching School Rumble on youtube for the 3rd/4th time, its been a few years since i last watched it :moon: god i love this show :cute: Tenma and Harima has got to be 2 of my fave characters ever :cool: shame they dont have a proper 3rd season and i never watched past the 2nd one :frown: has anyone read the manga? ive heard its not as good so ive always been put off it, the music, characters and their voice acting is what makes the anime so good but i really wana see some conclusion to the story :s-smilie:

Hi Euge, it's been such a long time. I've missed our conversations. Glad you're keeping well. As you're not coming onto Skype, I'll make a point of logging into MSN. :hugs:

As for anime, I'm still keeping up with the current season, although my viewing is mostly reserved for the weekend. And I have read School Rumble. It was such a long time ago as I read it during its serialisation in WSJ. As I watched the anime adaptation a few years later when it aired, I didn't really think to compare it. Both were fun to read/watch, but I can't say I was a big fan of the series. :nah:
I was reading School Rumble, until Kodansha dropped it. :frown: The anime is on my hard drive... and has been for years, as with so many other series. :o:
Original post by Aiko

Hi Euge, it's been such a long time. I've missed our conversations. Glad you're keeping well. As you're not coming onto Skype, I'll make a point of logging into MSN. :hugs:

As for anime, I'm still keeping up with the current season, although my viewing is mostly reserved for the weekend. And I have read School Rumble. It was such a long time ago as I read it during its serialisation in WSJ. As I watched the anime adaptation a few years later when it aired, I didn't really think to compare it. Both were fun to read/watch, but I can't say I was a big fan of the series. :nah:

hey AIko :hugs: yeah its been ages, but ive been using skype the last couple of months, thought you were like always busy :puppyeyes:

it was my 2nd ever series i watched hence why i enjoy it so much even when rewatching as it gives me a nostalgia kick :yep: do you remember if the anime follows the manga mostly?

I was reading School Rumble, until Kodansha dropped it. :frown: The anime is on my hard drive... and has been for years, as with so many other series. :o:

when you mean when they dropped it, do you mean that they dont publish it anymore or they dont scanlate it anymore? :ninja:

watch it man its so good :hmmm:
when you mean when they dropped it, do you mean that they dont publish it anymore or they dont scanlate it anymore? :ninja:

watch it man its so good :hmmm:

I don't remember Kodansha ever scanlating. :p: Wouldn't surprise me at all if there are translations out there, but even if that would allow me to finish the series, it's not the same as having the whole set on my shelves. :no:

And since you asked so, erm, nicely, I'll add the anime to the list of stuff I'm taking to Reading. :biggrin: My portable hard drive is full to bursting, though, so I'll have to leave Sisters of Wellber and Kaze no Stigma behind... I'm sure I'll live. :giggle:
Hello and welcome to the society. :biggrin: Nice list! Based on what you've watched, I'd recommend the following:

Sankarea - Noticed a few romance and zombie series on your list; this combines the two genres quite nicely. :p:

Code Geass - Mech series featuring a similar protagonist to that of Death Note.

Nichijou - The ultimate high school comedy series (in my opinion).

BTOOOM! - Another survival game along the lines of Mirai Nikki and Danganronpa.

Tower of Druaga - A parody of the usual fantasy/RPG settings, but it has a half decent story too.

Hope that one or more of these series interest you. :smile:

Thank you very much, I will add these to my list :biggrin: I really need to just sit down with my laptop, my tv and a HDMI cable and just watch tons of series!

I can tell that i'm going to enjoy this thread. :wink:

last 3 eps of Oreimo are out :excited:

Its the first manga I bought :biggrin: albeit I don't own a lot if it yet... Its still pretty good :yes:
Watching last exile atm, is awesome :biggrin:
Anime clichés/tropes really do ruin a lot of the enjoyment for me. I just can't stand things like a dramatic stutter.
Never realised HMV sold Anime grrrr.... They have a better collection than the CEX near me as well.