The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fas
you probably stand a higher chance than those predicted an A* in Maths , as you took the A-level over a year and came really close. So it definitely will not disadvantage you , that's for certain :tongue:

Incorrect, whether you take A2 maths in a year, or as maths and as further maths simultaneously isn't within your control, so they can't discriminate based on that.

Original post by tooambitious
Don't cash it in and don't tell them you missed the A*, won't look good.
You can avoid cashing it in by saying the applied modules were for AS FM (I think that's how it's done

Wouldn't they see every module anyway?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 601
Don't cash it in and don't tell them you missed the A*, won't look good.

But won't they give SOME leeway if in my reference it says that I only missed it by 1 mark?
Original post by SuDa2103
But won't they give SOME leeway if in my reference it says that I only missed it by 1 mark?

If it's only because of one module, and all your other modules are consistently high then it shouldn't pose much of a problem.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Incorrect, whether you take A2 maths in a year, or as maths and as further maths simultaneously isn't within your control, so they can't discriminate based on that.

yeah i know , im sorry i meant he would be at an advantage over non-further mathematicians who would be predicted an A* in Maths - sorry for not making that clear.

Should have been clear, meant for A* demanding non-LSE/Camb universities (no option here) like UCL and warwick( is the A* in maths here? Can't remember) or wherever else might ask.

They might give you some, but what you're telling them is that you're a retaker. Also might mean they give you A*AA offers on the uncompletes subjected. I can't see any disadvantages in not cashing in your mats grade :dontknow:

I'm speaking of experience of people who have done the same thing in my year and year before, didn't do it personally
Reply 605
Should have been clear, meant for A* demanding non-LSE/Camb universities (no option here) like UCL and warwick( is the A* in maths here? Can't remember) or wherever else might ask.

They might give you some, but what you're telling them is that you're a retaker. Also might mean they give you A*AA offers on the uncompletes subjected. I can't see any disadvantages in not cashing in your mats grade :dontknow:

I'm speaking of experience of people who have done the same thing in my year and year before, didn't do it personally

But how do I even do that? Will my school let me do it?
But how do I even do that? Will my school let me do it?

Not exactly sure but some users did it in my year. May want to make a thread. I may be misinformed, but I'm sure they stated all there modules but for done reason an A* in maths wasn't cashed so their offers were still A*AA/AAA with an A* already achieved which could be used towards those three grades
Not exactly sure but some users did it in my year. May want to make a thread. I may be misinformed, but I'm sure they stated all there modules but for done reason an A* in maths wasn't cashed so their offers were still A*AA/AAA with an A* already achieved which could be used towards those three grades

You can only do this if you go to a private school as at state schools all modules are automatically 'cashed in'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
You can only do this if you go to a private school as at state schools all modules are automatically 'cashed in'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That part I know, I was wondering ether is possible to say the applied modules were FM, so you haven't actually completed maths. Don't know if computer allows that though.

Sorry for typos everyone, not being very diligent and I'm on my phone :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Guys I did my whole Maths A2 in year 12 and I missed an A* by 1 mark in C3 and C4. But courses like LSE require an A* in Maths. Will they consider that it is only one mark and that I will retake C4 to get the A* or do I not have any chance?

A* is prerequisite for LSE so no
Reply 610
Original post by Lunch_Box
A* is prerequisite for LSE so no

Jesus Christ that one F***ing mark!
Jesus Christ that one F***ing mark!

What did you get in C3 and C4 exactly?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 612
Original post by boy_wonder_95
what did you get in c3 and c4 exactly?

c3:100 c4:79

Why not just get C4 remarked? If it drops you resit, if it goes up great.

That's really unfortunate, and I'm guessing you're on Edexcel :colonhash:.

As said, remark, in the unlikely event that it goes up you get your A*. But Maths papers are usually marked accurately.
Reply 615
Original post by Dilzo999
Why not just get C4 remarked? If it drops you resit, if it goes up great.

That's really unfortunate, and I'm guessing you're on Edexcel :colonhash:.

As said, remark, in the unlikely event that it goes up you get your A*. But Maths papers are usually marked accurately.

Yep im on Edexel and ofcourse I'll remark but as others say Maths papers usually remain unchanged
Reply 616
Places you would consider (assume a good personal statement and references)
GCSE'S - 2A* 7A 2B
AS Results - AABB -(maths A biology A chemistry B art and design B)
Prediction - A*A*A (maths A* biology A* Chemistry A) + AS further maths being taken up in year 13
was thinking Bristol, Notts, Leeds, Exeter etc. (is UCL, LSE, Oxbridge out of my league)
Original post by Maat
GCSE'S - 2A* 7A 2B
Prediction - A*A*A (maths A* biology A* Chemistry A) + AS further maths being taken up in year 13
was thinking Bristol, Notts, Leeds, Exeter etc. (is UCL, LSE, Oxbridge out of my league)

I'd say UCL and LSE is in your league, Oxbridge probably isn't. Though there's no harm in applying.
Reply 618
GCSE's : 4A*'s 8A's + Function Maths qualification
AS Results : AAAA (Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Psychology)
Predicted : A* A* A* (AS FM being taken up, should score an A in that as well hopefully)

Was deciding between : Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Lancaster.

Whaddya guys think?
Reply 619
Original post by Maat
GCSE'S - 2A* 7A 2B

With these predicted grades you'd definitely get in Bristol and Exeter. I think you'd still have a shot for UCL and LSE, but might not do for Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending