The Student Room Group

I'm worried that there are no jobs out there :(

I want to work as soon as I finish my GCSE 's so I can save up for uni. But I worry that no one is hiring anymore. Is this true or are there jobs out there

Scroll to see replies

...There are jobs you just have to look/know people.
Reply 2
People are hiring, it's just there are so many people that need jobs it can be competitive.

When you say saving up for uni, what do you mean exactly? If you're talking about tuition then get a student loan, you can also apply for a maintenance loan to help with the cost of living. My maintenance loan serves me very well - I eat well, pay rent and have a social life without any job on the side. So a job isn't a necessity, but it would be helpful to save up some cash just to help you out; and helpful to get work experience!

Start with google and go for the major companies - shops like Boots, McDonalds and the like all have an online recruitment system. Also get a CV together, do some voluntary work maybe if you're struggling for things to put on there. Go around town and ask about jobs.

Things aren't amazing in the jobs market, but they're not as bad as you might think.
Reply 3
There are jobs out there - you just have to be * really persistent*
My friend just some part time employment at ASDA. You have to keep trying as others have said above. Timing is key.
You just have to really look tbh..
Yeah that is a pain. But luckily where I work they took me on without experience and they trained me up :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Let me just say something. Stop watching the news and reading the newspapers.

If you believed everything they said you would think practically all but a few are in poverty, everyone is getting paid peanuts, and everyone is generally miserable. Don't take these things too seriously. One of the perceptions the media has created is that there are no jobs anywhere. There are jobs and there are opportunities. Granted, not as much as before, but it isn't the armageddon scenario the media would like us to believe. Life really isn't that bad despite the failing economy.
Reply 8
I'm going to be honest with you - there are jobs out there, but there's a lot of competition for them.
I started applying for jobs as soon as I was legally allowed to be employed and it's now over a year later and I still haven't managed to get a job. I didn't really stand much of a chance to begin with, but over the year my CV has gotten much better and I'm starting to get a lot more interviews. I've done loads of volunteer work, some qualifications in first aid and added my language skills so these things really do help to get you interviews. I've been turned down after a few interviews because they already knew who they were employing, like a friend/relative of someone who works there, which is obviously unfair on me but if you know somebody who can get you a job where they work then you're in luck.

If you can get yourself some volunteer work for your CV and you're persistent when you start applying for jobs then you will eventually find something. It's been hard for me because I don't have any relatives where I live so every single interview I get is completely off my own back and my area has a very high unemployment rate so the competition is a lot tougher, but just because the competition is harder nowadays doesn't mean that you should worry about it. You will be fine, trust me. :smile:
Yup :biggrin:! Oh good luck hope it goes well :biggrin:! Yep money is money :redface: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi tsr! Can someone please reply and advice how i could get a job? Im starting year 12 soon and need a job, with the money i earn it would help me pay for books and school equipment. I really need a job. Ive tried applying online several times, most never reply i even sent the job application with a cv! Can someone please advice me how i could get a job asap. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flowerfobia
Hi tsr! Can someone please reply and advice how i could get a job? Im starting year 12 soon and need a job, with the money i earn it would help me pay for books and school equipment. I really need a job. Ive tried applying online several times, most never reply i even sent the job application with a cv! Can someone please advice me how i could get a job asap. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I work at Sports Direct and they took me on without experience!
But you can always try volunteering in a charity shop first for experience if there's no luck..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Same with me I just got job at McD(not started yet), have no experience and still got it baring in mind im older(start job search late). just keep searching and apply to the ones you feel you could work in. But u have plenty of time :biggrin:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Yes there are jobs out there, I recently finished my GCSEs and began giving out my CVs in early July. Unfortunately I was unable to get a job during summer but just got a job right now at Matalan. So it is possible, just be persistent and print of loads of CVs and hand them out at the beginning of each month to the same stores.

You might think why? A manager will see that you are motivated in getting a job and may or may not hire. Eventually it will pay off and I got my job like this so you might aswell.
Thanks for the advice, i will definately try volunteering..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice, i will definately try volunteering..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your welcome :smile:
Hope you find something soon :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by ohhello92x
I work at Sports Direct and they took me on without experience!
But you can always try volunteering in a charity shop first for experience if there's no luck..

Posted from TSR Mobile

How old are you? :rolleyes:
Original post by ForgetMe
How old are you? :rolleyes:

20! Why????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont just apply online, dress to impress then go out and go store to store and hand in your CVs, smile and always ask once it has been handed in if they are currently recruiting.

It is about perserverence and go by yourself and not with a friend and remember smile and be prepared for a interview on the spot.
Reply 19
Original post by ohhello92x

Oh nothing :tongue: I thought you were like 16, so it would be obvious them hiring teenagers so that they could pay them less :mmm: Do they pay minimum wage for 20 year old's?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending