The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mynameisntbobk
I really liked the book :yep: although I don't read a lot of books. How about you?

I really hope it wasn't a wasted vote :smile:

The only time I've ever voted on any show was on X-factor a few years back. I voted to save Janet Devlin, Misha B and little mix, but guess who's list had 2 people in the bottom 3, which one of them getting sent home. :unimpressed: never again :lol:

I read a lot of books. I did like it, however I preferred "To Kill a Mockingbird".
Reply 781
Original post by Lucy96
x

Hey Lucy, you LOVE Dexter :awesome:
Reply 782
Original post by CJG21
How important are open days, guys? I can't get on the Bristol one because it's full. Is it bad to apply blind?

Fairly important for getting a feel of the university - though the Bristol website does have some excellent videos

I have a similar problem, Bristol and Bath open days are on the same day so I chose Bristol
Original post by keromedic
I read a lot of books. I did like it, however I preferred "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Never read that unfortunately
Reply 784
Original post by smile:D
:biggrin:

Just saw your profile and...

Spoiler

I couldn't resist, he's just too gorgeous. :teeheeL
Original post by CJG21
How important are open days, guys? I can't get on the Bristol one because it's full. Is it bad to apply blind?

Eh, possibly. Why not go down on a separate occasion to get a feel for the city? If you contact the admissions dept/university I'm sure they'd be willing to put together some sort of tour for you, or at least let you have a look around.
Oh right, misread that :colondollar: I've actually read lord of the flies (for English lit last year)

I highly doubt a lord of the flies situation would ever be authorised by/for psychologists. Just too many ethical issues involved, it wouldn't even be considered at all! Plus practical issues, nah, never is my answer :tongue:

I read an article about an american study a few weeks ago... They trained teenagers for a week then left them on a 'desert island' to see how they'd cope. They had to do things like cook a meal, but they were rescued after a few hours so several hadn't eaten cus it 'wasn't long since breakfast' and they knew they'd get dinner when they got home. Quite ridiculously entertaining if you ask me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Endless Blue
Eh, possibly. Why not go down on a separate occasion to get a feel for the city? If you contact the admissions dept/university I'm sure they'd be willing to put together some sort of tour for you, or at least let you have a look around.

Or go on the Student led tours that some (Bristol) unis have every day in August :smile:
Reply 788
Anyone know where the Mega Maths thread is? I can't find it. :erm:
Reply 789
Original post by CJG21

I find them to be quite important. For instance I liked Leeds on paper, but disliked it on the day and I wasn't so sure about Durham and now it's my favourite.
You might be able to go to the open day without a reservation. From my experience all open days including Durham which is ticketed for every event don't check tickets and you can usually get one on the day.
I wouldn't say applying blind is bad per se, but do try to go to a post application open day if they do them

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Original post by Pandora.
Anyone know where the Mega Maths thread is? I can't find it. :erm:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2401236
Original post by furryface12
I read an article about an american study a few weeks ago... They trained teenagers for a week then left them on a 'desert island' to see how they'd cope. They had to do things like cook a meal, but they were rescued after a few hours so several hadn't eaten cus it 'wasn't long since breakfast' and they knew they'd get dinner when they got home. Quite ridiculously entertaining if you ask me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: I'm literally wondering what they could have taught them over a period of a week for just a several hours. Haha so sad to think they'd rather starve and wait to be saved haha

Just out if interest, do you remember where you read it?
Original post by Pandora.
Thanks! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yes:
Apparently there has been an issue with my whole History class for one of our exams. I got a b (76/100) but was expecting a low a. Apparently I got the highest by far (and the only b grade!) so the school is offering to pay for everyone to get remarked. I've requested to see my script photocopy but I hope they don't enter me for a remark before I even get to look at it!
Reply 794
Apparently there has been an issue with my whole History class for one of our exams. I got a b (76/100) but was expecting a low a. Apparently I got the highest by far (and the only b grade!) so the school is offering to pay for everyone to get remarked. I've requested to see my script photocopy but I hope they don't enter me for a remark before I even get to look at it!

same happened at my school I think I got the best mark out of the entire class - funny because I'm actually dropping history lmao
Hey everyone! Yeah, I'm kinda new to your amazing world here at Student Room (gawd, sounds like some sort of academy!) but I'd just like to say how welcomed you guys have made me feel and how much its meant to me! Thanks for that! :smile: Any who, here's a massive shout out to the lot of you - GOOD LUCK ON EVERYTHING - even if everything seems to turn pear shaped - I hope you find happiness in what ever you end up doing! Roll on, Year 13, roll on! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Robbie242
Fairly important for getting a feel of the university - though the Bristol website does have some excellent videos

I have a similar problem, Bristol and Bath open days are on the same day so I chose Bristol

Original post by adi19956
I find them to be quite important. For instance I liked Leeds on paper, but disliked it on the day and I wasn't so sure about Durham and now it's my favourite.
You might be able to go to the open day without a reservation. From my experience all open days including Durham which is ticketed for every event don't check tickets and you can usually get one on the day.
I wouldn't say applying blind is bad per se, but do try to go to a post application open day if they do them

Cheers.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to apply there anyway. It seems good, it has a good reputation, and the city is supposed to be nice.

Has anyone been to Bristol?

I was expecting a high A in geography got 1 mark of it, its down to the centers and ****ing examiner, if your school was in some crappy area I guarantee it would be marked more leniently.
:rofl: I'm literally wondering what they could have taught them over a period of a week for just a several hours. Haha so sad to think they'd rather starve and wait to be saved haha

Just out if interest, do you remember where you read it?

It was in one of the newspapers when I was in the US, I think one of the local Boston ones as that was where I was at the time. I think they knew when they'd be saved, which to me defeats the object of it.... I think they were intending to make a TV series about it or something, you never know it might be shown over here too at some stage!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 799
Original post by CJG21
Cheers.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to apply there anyway. It seems good, it has a good reputation, and the city is supposed to be nice.

Has anyone been to Bristol?

Nah, too close to home for me

Latest