The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by overthelove
Hahaha, I'll try that then:

J'essaie de lire des livres, comme, par exemple, "Bonjour tristesse", mais quelquefois, j'ai besoin d'utiliser un dictionnaire quand je ne comprends pas de mots. Aussi, j'ecoute de la musique et je regarde des films et videos sur 'YouTube'. Si je peux, je lis 'Le Monde' et je traduis le texte...

This summer, I began learning the basics of German. I find the grammar hard though :frown:
Besoin isn't a verb, it's a noun.

Literally, it's something like: "I have need of/to something".

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english-french/need?showCookiePolicy=true

I believe it's de after pas.
http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/de-vs-du-de-la-des_2.htm

*desperately hopes she hasn't made the post worse with her correction*
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Ich lerne Deutsch seit einem Jahre. (Octo <3) Dieses Jahr habe ich meine GCSE Prüfungen gemacht, und ich werde Deutsch auf AS level lernen.

He estudiado español desde hace un año. Me gustan los idiomas y tambien, estudiaré español para mis AS levels. :smile:
einem Jahr. Ronove said!
Original post by overthelove
Hahaha, my Aunt lives in Germany, and she always says it. If I recall correctly, it means 'Practice makes Perfect!' :biggrin:

They sound like a wonderful combination of AS Levels. So you must like essays then, huh? :smile:
This is a lie. As an old instructor used to tell me, practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. I have an utterly irrelevant anecdote about learning that first-hand, too. Suffice it to say, it's very hard to physically unlearn bad habits!
Original post by Gilo98
So sorry!! Meant to say GCSE! Bloody hell, **** A-Level atm!

Etait-ce bon? (germany)

Oui, je pense que ce serais (not sure on ending) bonn si mon classe ont d'accord

masculine singular-bon
feminine singular-bonne
masculine plural-bons
feminine plural-bonnes
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6761
Original post by Octopus_Garden
einem Jahr. Ronove said!
This is a lie. As an old instructor used to tell me, practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent.
masculine singular-bon
feminine singular-bonne
masculine plural-bons
feminine plural-bonnes

Thank you! I tended to use a random variation in my posts with the hope that the occasional would be right! :mmm:
Reply 6762
Anybody here right now?
More confident?
I'm scared I won't be able to hack it at that level! Mind you, I'm going to enrol anyway and try!
Take note...Thank you! I have been worrying about that -e. I'd only managed to decide that now both versions looked wrong, and the word Jahr shouldn't even exist!

Apropos kleine Kinder: Meine Söhne brauchen Brillen! Ich habe heute gelassen, die Augen ihnen zu untersuchen1. Sie werden Brillen zum Kindergarten tragen.:frown: Aber sie werden sehr süß aussiehen!

I'm not entirely sure whether passing on my hereditary dodgy eyesight is an achievement!

1 This sentence was brought to you by ignorance, Sims 3 overload, dict.cc and sponsored by EA.

You're braver than me :tongue:
No idea what gelassen means lol

If it means "to have let"....Ich habe heute die Augen ihnen untersuchen lassen(?) lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AquisM
Anybody here right now?

Haven't seen 08:xx in a while :tongue:
Comment était votre premier jour de retour à l'école?
Original post by thatitootoo
You're braver than me :tongue:
No idea what gelassen means lol

If it means "to have let"....Ich habe heute die Augen ihnen untersuchen lassen(?) lol

Meine Söhne brauchen Brillen! Ich habe heute gelassen, die Augen ihnen zu untersuchen1. Sie werden Brillen zum Kindergarten tragen. Aber sie werden sehr süß aussiehen!

I think her sentence translates to "My sons need glasses! Today, I let them examine their eyes (?). They will wear glasses at kindergarten, but they will look very sweet!"

I could be wrong, though.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think her sentence translates to "My sons need glasses! Today, I have let them examine their eyes (?). They will wear glasses at kindergarten, but they will look very sweet!"

I could be wrong, though.

Ahha! You also think it means "to have let" :tongue:
The rest of your translation is definitely spot on, well done :wink:
Ooh I just noticed the last word should have been "aussehen" btw

:grin: :grin: :grin: Tootoo

Actually, I think it means 'to let' rather than 'to have let'. "Today, I let them.." The word 'habe' sometimes throws me off, but it's there as it's the auxiliary verb, I think.
(edited 10 years ago)
Actually, I think it means 'to let' rather than 'to have let'. "Today, I let them.." The word 'habe' sometimes throws me off, but it's there as it's the auxiliary verb, I think.

To let would just be 'lassen'
Today, I let them = Heute lies/lasste ich ihnen.
Today, I have let them = Heute habe ich ihnen blahblah gelassen.

I know my stuff Phantom, Ronove agrees :wink:
But I don't know what lassen is in past tense...lool

(edited 10 years ago)

I'm not doubting whether you know it or not, am I?

There are two ways of talking about the past; perfect tense and imperfect tense. Ich kaufte eine Jacke. /I bought a jacket/. Ich habe eine Jacke gekauft / I bought a Jacket. Therefore, "Ich habe heute gelassen", to me, reads "Today I let..." as haben is being used as an auxiliary verb whilst the clausal verb is in the past tense. I am, as always, willing to admit I am wrong if that is the case. I don't take mistakes personally, if I did, I would never get anywhere in the process of learning a language.

I use this site to aid with conjugations. Wasn't someone saying a few pages back that the "I have [verb]" structure isn't possible in German as it doesn't have the tense? I'm not sure if I getting that confused with something else.
(edited 10 years ago)
ließ! Heute ließ ich :tongue:
I'm not doubting whether you know it or not, am I?

There are two ways of talking about the past; perfect tense and imperfect tense. Ich kaufte eine Jacke. /I bought a jacket/. Ich habe eine Jacke gekauft / I bought a Jacket. Therefore, "Ich habe heute gelassen", to me, reads "Today I let..." as haben is being used as an auxiliary verb whilst the clausal verb is in the past tense. I am, as always, willing to admit I am wrong if that is the case. I don't take mistakes personally, if I did, I would never get anywhere in the process of learning a language.

I use this site to aid with conjugations. Wasn't someone saying a few pages back that the "I have [verb]" structure isn't possible in German as it doesn't have the tense?

I just suck at explaining tbh :tongue:
Reply 6772

You're not correct here. :wink: If we're talking about something that happened today, we would usually use the perfect, without it meaning 'I have done something'. Whether 'ich habe etwas getan' would be translated as 'I did something' or 'I have done something' depends on other things, and I have to go to work. :tongue:

you're right, it should be aussehen.
Original post by Ronove
You're not correct here. :wink: If we're talking about something that happened today, we would usually use the perfect, without it meaning 'I have done something'. Whether 'ich habe etwas getan' would be translated as 'I did something' or 'I have done something' depends on other things, and I have to go to work. :tongue:

:emo: I was on a roll. Tootoo must learn!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

TooToo KNOWS his stuff !! :angry: :spank: :mad: !!
you're right, it should be aussehen.

Jaa

Neither of you should be translating the "lassen" as "let" here, and possibly not at all, regardless of whether I have conjugated it correctly!

In English, I would have said "I have had their eyes tested today". I think there's an example in the GCSE AQA boook, that uses a sentence about dry-cleaning- something like "I'm having the curtains dry-cleaned" and a German translation with lassen

With the aid of dict.cc, I am attempting natural German (slightly hampered by my hatred of lassen).

http://www.dict.cc/?s=eye-test
Neither of you should be translating the "lassen" as "let" here, and possibly not at all, regardless of whether I have conjugated it correctly!

In English, I would have said "I have had their eyes tested today". I think there's an example in the GCSE AQA boook, that uses a sentence about dry-cleaning- something like "I'm having the curtains dry-cleaned" and a German translation with lassen

With the aid of dict.cc, I am attempting natural German (slightly hampered by my hatred of lassen).

http://www.dict.cc/?s=eye-test

I confuse myself :tongue:
I think it's the invisible "have it get" then
Like in "I will have it/get it repaired"...."Ich werde es reparieren lassen"

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6778
Haven't seen 08:xx in a while :tongue:
Comment était votre premier jour de retour à l'école?

(Too tired to think in French... :tongue:) It was horrible! Some of teachers were not here due to training etc., some were sick, and many had to participate in Year 7 induction... So many of our classes were cancelled. :mad:
Original post by AquisM
(Too tired to think in French... :tongue:) It was horrible! Some of teachers were not here due to training etc., some were sick, and many had to participate in Year 7 induction... So many of our classes were cancelled. :mad:

Blergh :tongue: Sounds just like a typical first day of term in the UK...I expected Hong Kong to have a "No time to waste on silly induction...let's dive straight into Algebra III little children" mentality! lolol I guess you're at a day school? How many lessons do you normally have in a day?

Latest

Trending

Trending