The Student Room Group

AS level English lit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lisa96
what grade did u get in the exam?

B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
got Cs throughout the year but managed to get an A with 159 on the written exam and C on the coursework for AQA. Really confused considering a lot of the people who normally score better than me did worse than me. B overall with 159 UMS :dontknow::dontknow:
Reply 42
It's reassuring to know that other people felt how many LITB1 students from my college felt yesterday. I was also predicted an A grade after receiving a high A in the coursework and came out of the exam with a low C (74 UMS, 6 raw marks away from an A overall ). My English department is sending a sample of papers to be remarked by AQA, but does anybody have any experience with lit remarks and their outcomes? Hope you guys get the grades you deserve :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by lucysu

[*]

I got a C overall too! I got a D in the exam but I thought it went ok at the time and now I don't know what to do?

You should probably retake, or you could get a remark (depending on how close you were to the next grade boundary). I might ask for a remark on my coursework because my teacher was wayyy off in my grade.
If my 'points' on my results paper is 120 does that mean I have an A cause it says I have B but its out of 120?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My exam board was WJEC, and there seems to be something really dodgy going on. I had full marks in the coursework, was predicted a very high a in the exam but had a B.This really upset me as I am hoping to study English at uni in 2014. Luckily, I did come out with and A overall, but I really hope this turns out to be a huge mistake.

My friend, also predicted an A had an E. Another predicted a very high A had a D. Seems like there should be an investigation into this.
Reply 46
Oh no :frown: Thank goodness my school was with OCR !
Definitely think many of you have grounds to appeal as seems so many were odd results!
Before the exam in May, and before results day I was on here reading other people's previous results in this exam and it really freaked me out because everyone was complaining about AQA... I only had 51/60 in my coursework which was juuuuust an A so I was pretty scared haha but I got my results yesterday and they were pretty great! I was predicted a B and got an A, I even got 100% ums in the exam (120/120) and I had 186 ums overall so I have no complaints about AQA thank god
Really hope AQA have ****ed up, I was getting A's before the exam and then got a d :frown: not happy as I love English !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lta1C was actually hard, the "Don Muller" article was difficult to link with the wider reading. It all went downhill from that question. Can anyone tell me how the LITB1 exam was like, was it hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babyshawte
Lta1C was actually hard, the "Don Muller" article was difficult to link with the wider reading. It all went downhill from that question. Can anyone tell me how the LITB1 exam was like, was it hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

LITB1 is the hardest exam I have ever taken. It's so easy to go off on a tangent and connecting aspects of narrative to novels and poems while linking in AOs is difficult. However, I feel like I've learnt more about English than I have ever known. It's widen my whole perspective and its a great course to take but just very difficult. I worked extremely hard all year round and got a solid B. (I go off on tangents way to much - it's always been my downfall) I would recommend it if you are willing to work hard and not expect amazing grades from AQA.

Hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone getting there paper remarked??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KANTtouchthis123
Is anyone getting there paper remarked??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am! I'm only 1 UMS off an A
Miraculously received an A in Lit after a B in coursework, so my exam must have went well. Did you all think the exam went ok, and the marking was really harsh then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
hey guys, looks like there was a problem with some of the marking?...hmmm i got an A in the coursework as well as an A in the exam!...but i still dont know my ums score for my subjects!! really frustrating but im going to ask my form tutor on friday when i go to re-enroll again for A2....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, this happened to my Sixth Form last year! All our lit students received 1-2 grade lower than their predicted grades. For example anyone who were predicted As got Cs in their exam. So the Subject Leader, English decided to get them all remarked and everyone's exam grades got what they deserved (higher than their first grade).

Personally I took the AS English Lit AQA A 1a (WW1 Lit) and my exam I did quite alright. I managed to hit above my target grade but I think AQA have such hard extracts to analyse. This makes it harder for students because the extracts are so challenging when we have to use wider reading!

For me, the irony is - I hate English Language but I manage to get a B and I got a C for Lit, which was annoying because I want to do Lit at uni, not Lang :/ But happy regardless!
Original post by jodi043
Please help - As level English lit result today was E! :confused::confused: - no-one else in the group got higher than D - what can be done about this and is A level English lit still an option?

Marking was extremely harsh, not to worry, just try again. I was a few marks off an A in the exam. It sucks, but there's always next year :biggrin:
Reply 57
Is it a UK-wide phenomenon or is it the world over?

I'm not one to make excuses but Lit. was my best subject and I too, did well in my mocks. So it was a shock to see I got an E.

Funnily enough, I was the only student in my year that took Lit.
Sadly the marking gets no better in A2. In January, our LITB3 papers came back and the exam board called for them back to remark them as they had been too harsh, luckily mine went up to 120 from 115 - I really do not know what goes on at AQA!
Original post by KirstBarlow
LITB1 is the hardest exam I have ever taken. It's so easy to go off on a tangent and connecting aspects of narrative to novels and poems while linking in AOs is difficult. However, I feel like I've learnt more about English than I have ever known. It's widen my whole perspective and its a great course to take but just very difficult. I worked extremely hard all year round and got a solid B. (I go off on tangents way to much - it's always been my downfall) I would recommend it if you are willing to work hard and not expect amazing grades from AQA.

Hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the feedback on the exam, and I totally agree with you on AQA giving such disappointing grades after a year of hard work and dedication. I hope you do well in A2 though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest